The Web of Life

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I am trying to locate a book with the above name, although I do not know the author nor the date the book was published. I have come to the conclusion that it was published possibly between 1940 - 1969.

Google book search comes up with quite a few with that name between those dates, but because content is restricted I can't tell if any is the book I'm looking for. This book was read in some schools here during a period in the dates above. It apparently has three or four chapters on sex.

Anyone know which author?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like it might be a biological sciences text book, Cooee. I'd suggest checking the library or even asking a biology teacher (preferably older) in your secondary school. A school might even still have it in the library if it was a textbook. The term "Web of Life" is used extensively in biology. Puma

Last edited:

Kitti

procrastinatrix
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katotis.com
This book was read in some schools here during a period in the dates above. It apparently has three or four chapters on sex.

Here being Australia, right?

Worldcat has a couple of books by this name published by the Australian Academy of Science. "Biological science: the web of life. Student's manual" (alt. author listed as David Morgan for one edition?) Several editions seem to have been printed in the 1967-70 period.

(Not sure if the link will work, because it's to a search, but here's hoping: http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti...:"australian+academy+of+science"&qt=facet_ap: )

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here being Australia, right?

Worldcat has a couple of books by this name published by the Australian Academy of Science. "Biological science: the web of life. Student's manual" (alt. author listed as David Morgan for one edition?) Several editions seem to have been printed in the 1967-70 period.

(Not sure if the link will work, because it's to a search, but here's hoping: http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti...:"australian+academy+of+science"&qt=facet_ap: )

AH, I will look at these links further. I assumed that the book wouldn't be Australian - and or that late although I didn't have date to look from.

Just a broad comment related to a certain period in Australia which I assumed was earlier and I might be wrong.

These pages I'm talking about were apparently made to be stappled together from the teachers, Nuns.

Thanks!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the Web of Life
by John H Storer

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtilryarms, those editions are what I originally found in google book search that I can't see inside. It has those chapters?

The books kitti links to - are teacher and student manuals.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rtilryarms, those editions are what I originally found in google book search that I can't see inside. It has those chapters?

The books kitti links to - are teacher and student manuals.

Difficult to tell, I just reasoned it was this book based on the fact taht it was the textbook published in your rererenced time period, title, subject matter and that there are chapters about sex.

Next time I am at the library I can look for it.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
I am trying to locate a book with the above name, although I do not know the author nor the date the book was published. I have come to the conclusion that it was published possibly between 1940 - 1969.

Google book search comes up with quite a few with that name between those dates, but because content is restricted I can't tell if any is the book I'm looking for. This book was read in some schools here during a period in the dates above. It apparently has three or four chapters on sex.

Anyone know which author?
What I'm about to write might not help, because it comes from vague recollections. So, I apologise in advance.

I recall a book, Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. It was published in the early 1960s and used widely in Australian schools. I believe it might have used the subtitle: the web of life. Mostly, it dealt with the effects of widespread use of pesticides. I don't remember if there were any chapters on sex.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Nope!

'Silent Spring' by Rachel Carson is about DDT and pesticides and their effects on the planet. I reread it occasionally just to add to my depression!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Difficult to tell, I just reasoned it was this book based on the fact taht it was the textbook published in your rererenced time period, title, subject matter and that there are chapters about sex.

Next time I am at the library I can look for it.

I'm in a country town and it is extremly hard to get old books here, even if I offer to pay, I still can't access them. I could look for a copy to buy on the Internet if I know it has those chapters and was published no later than 1962