ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Here. So. Multi-gazillionaires blow up the economy and get rewarded with tax cuts (and the deficit will skyrocket); park rangers at Yellowstone and FDA meat inspectors in Iowa get punished (with a negligible benefit to the deficit). Brilliant!

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Well, it said everyone in the Executive Branch. What all does that cover? My civics gets fuzzy at a certain layer.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Edit: Willie beat me to it

Last edited:

bip

has a dog with shifty eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it said everyone in the Executive Branch. What all does that cover? My civics gets fuzzy at a certain layer.

It's basically what we think of as "the bureaucracy", which has a negative connotation to a lot of people (but not to a poli sci person such as myself).

Here's a link with a list of Executive Branch entities.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Hmmm. (And thank you.)

Well, I guess he couldn't propose to freeze the Senators and Representatives with any hope at all of it passing, but this feels like a gesture poised just like Wile E. Coyote on a cliff's edge.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Here. So. Multi-gazillionaires blow up the economy and get rewarded with tax cuts (and the deficit will skyrocket); park rangers at Yellowstone and FDA meat inspectors in Iowa get punished (with a negligible benefit to the deficit). Brilliant!
Making more than 250 grand a year makes one a multi-gazillionaire? Good to know.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
And if they all got raises instead everyone would be jumping up and down freaking out about how the feds are going to afford bigger salaries and the poor economy and why do they get more when everyone else is laid off and broke and ...

At least they've still got their government health care.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lame deflection of my point, lamer quip.
You said it: "Multi-gazillionaires blow up the economy and get rewarded with tax cuts (and the deficit will skyrocket); park rangers at Yellowstone and FDA meat inspectors in Iowa get punished (with a negligible benefit to the deficit). Brilliant!"

You want to offer tired, populist, class warfare tripe, I can certainly note it and respond. And that seems to very much be a part of your point: the "rich" are getting a tax cut, right?

Hey, I don't disgree with the silliness of the proposed freeze on federal salaries. And it's an interesting gambit, given that likely increased health insurance costs *cough* for many of the civilian workers means a net loss in take home pay, even without inflation.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is a drop in the bucket, but it's one of the few places where Obama has direct control over salary.

For civilian federal employees, there are two pay schedules: the general schedule (GS) and the executive schedule (ES). People hired are almost always GS employees, and appointees are often ES. The GS goes from GS-1 to GS-15 (there are supergrades, but there aren't many of them), and five levels of ES. Each grade on the GS is divided into 10 steps.

There are three ways a fed employee can increase his/her salary. First is cost of living increases, which come to about 1 or 2% annually and usually take effect at the beginning of each calendar year. Another way is to have a within-grade step increase. Usually these are calendar based: the progression from step 1 to 2 to 3 takes place in sequential years, then 4 to 5 to 6 takes place at one step every two years, and 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 takes place one step every three years. Sometimes an employee is granted a step increase in recognition of superior achievements. The third way is to get a grade increase, such as from GS-12 to GS-13. This is almost always performance based, and the frequency depends on how your position is evaluated. For me, I went from a 12 to a 13 in three years, I was up for evaluation 4 years later (but was held in grade, as I expected) and I will be reviewed again after another 4 years. An employee in one grade can get a different job at the next higher grade if he or she meets certain requirements.

My question, which none of the articles I read answered and I couldn't find the text of the executive order online, is which of these is affected? I suspect Obama could only get away with freezing cost of living increases. Taking away performance incentives seems too politically dangerous.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You said it: "Multi-gazillionaires blow up the economy and get rewarded with tax cuts (and the deficit will skyrocket); park rangers at Yellowstone and FDA meat inspectors in Iowa get punished (with a negligible benefit to the deficit). Brilliant!"

Well those with salaries >$250k certainly includes a number of multi-gazillionaires, so he's technically correct.

But then, gazillion isn't a real number, so he's wrong there, I suppose.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I can't seem to find the article, but I saw one earlier today that calculated what a tiny fraction of a percent of the federal deficit this freeze represents. It's almost like he picked the tiniest actual impact for the amount of angst it would generate.

The financial impact is quite insignificant overall; similar to earmarks, IIRC.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Making more than 250 grand a year makes one a multi-gazillionaire? Good to know.

Making a LOT more than 250 gs does, for some. I don't know of anybody making more than $250,000 who is suffering financially. But I do know that the standard economic doctrine of the Republican Party is that they are, that the wealthy are so heavily put upon that they really don't have enough, and it's all because of the poor, who have so goddamn much and so many privileges.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
This better not impact the step increases, or this fucks me hard(I'm currently a step 2 in my paygrade). If it's the annual raise, then it hurts, but not that badly(1% raise is pretty small in the first place).

What pisses me off, is that this won't impact the congressman assholes who are driving this whole thing. Just us regular GS folks, who have been the whipping boys everytime the economy tanks. When the economy is good, no one wants to work in the government because the pay sucks, when the economy is bad, OMG GUBMINT OVERPAID!!!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What pisses me off, is that this won't impact the congressman assholes who are driving this whole thing.

This. If Obama wants to sell this gesture, he needs to get Congressional approval for a similar freeze on their compensation. Yes, I know that's a token, but so is the proposed Fed freeze, really. It won't affect the economy or the deficit in any material way. But if Obama is really savvy, he can now toss this in the lap of the new Republican leadership of Congress and publicly hold them accountable.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My question, which none of the articles I read answered and I couldn't find the text of the executive order online, is which of these is affected? I suspect Obama could only get away with freezing cost of living increases. Taking away performance incentives seems too politically dangerous.

I'm curious about this also, being an affected Fed. myself.

This better not impact the step increases, or this fucks me hard(I'm currently a step 2 in my paygrade). If it's the annual raise, then it hurts, but not that badly(1% raise is pretty small in the first place).

What pisses me off, is that this won't impact the congressman assholes who are driving this whole thing. Just us regular GS folks, who have been the whipping boys everytime the economy tanks. When the economy is good, no one wants to work in the government because the pay sucks, when the economy is bad, OMG GUBMINT OVERPAID!!!

I agree with you. I'm not looking forward to the health premiums going up and not getting much of a raise. I don't make much anyway, and I work my ass off.

What REALLY irritates me is this -

I work my ass off every day. I actually work hard, and unfortunately, there's really no where for me to go. I'm stuck.

Not only do I work hard, but while another woman took a detail at HQ in DC, I took over all her work. Piles of shit she let pile up for MONTHS. I mean...now I'm being bombarded with emails that show the last correspondence on this crap was back in June, and she just let it sit there. We're talking pay issues, HR issues, important stuff, and now I'm rushing around trying to fix all the loose ends.

And you know what? She's making 90k a year.

Why don't we, the government, fire people like her and combine my job with hers. They wouldn't have to pay me 90k. I'd be happy with 50k. Think of how much money we'd save if we wiped out useless workers like her? And trust me, there are more than anyone cares to admit. If we raked through HQ alone, we'd probably cut the number of employees in half. Some of these guys literally don't have anything to do. Sometimes I don't have anything to do, but I guarantee I could combine the 2 positions. So could a lot of others. We could combine positions and fire people that don't do their fucking work.

Then, we wouldn't have this stupid fucking 2-year pay freeze.

Yes, I'm pissed.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It is a drop in the bucket, but it's one of the few places where Obama has direct control over salary.

For civilian federal employees, there are two pay schedules: the general schedule (GS) and the executive schedule (ES). People hired are almost always GS employees, and appointees are often ES. The GS goes from GS-1 to GS-15 (there are supergrades, but there aren't many of them), and five levels of ES. Each grade on the GS is divided into 10 steps.

There are three ways a fed employee can increase his/her salary. First is cost of living increases, which come to about 1 or 2% annually and usually take effect at the beginning of each calendar year. Another way is to have a within-grade step increase. Usually these are calendar based: the progression from step 1 to 2 to 3 takes place in sequential years, then 4 to 5 to 6 takes place at one step every two years, and 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 takes place one step every three years. Sometimes an employee is granted a step increase in recognition of superior achievements. The third way is to get a grade increase, such as from GS-12 to GS-13. This is almost always performance based, and the frequency depends on how your position is evaluated. For me, I went from a 12 to a 13 in three years, I was up for evaluation 4 years later (but was held in grade, as I expected) and I will be reviewed again after another 4 years. An employee in one grade can get a different job at the next higher grade if he or she meets certain requirements.

My understanding is that this freeze would affect cost of living increases only.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well those with salaries >$250k certainly includes a number of multi-gazillionaires, so he's technically correct.

But then, gazillion isn't a real number, so he's wrong there, I suppose.
Technically correct? No, since all of them didn't "blow up" the economy (seriously, how can we blame Stephen King and Tom Brady for the economy?) and they're not getting "rewarded" with a tax cut, regardless.