Status
Not open for further replies.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Here's an unofficial patch for folks having issues with Dragonborn:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31083/

The unsavory thing are the commenters crowing about getting this out long before the official patches. Apparently they don't realize just how many man-hours an excited community can throw into something as opposed to the ten (or so) developers. But whatever. At least there are quite a few fixes compiled here.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
So I created a character that I didn't want to play as the Dragonborn. I figured I just would never go to Bleak Falls Barrow. And it works fine for most things. No one refers to you as the Dragonborn. You learn shouts, but souls are rare (as there are no free-range dragons until you've done Bleak Falls).

Thing is, some stuff has got to be hardcoded for you to be the Dragonborn. Your house in Riften isn't yours. You can get in, but everything is tagged as owned by someone else. The assassins sent after you just hang out by the side of the road, and are flagged as friendly. You can walk up and say hello. And forget about going to Solstheim. Yes, I know the expansion for that is Dragonborn, but it might've been fun to do some of the side quests there or pick up the armor, etc...

Anyway, no real point to this post. Just interesting the ways you can break your game unintentionally.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I do find that interesting. I upset my fiance because I refuse to do dragonborn-related quests. I am the Dragonborn, but I'm terrible at it because I've just been playing guild quests and random little side adventures for two years. Now, with Hearthfire, I've all but retired from adventuring--choosing instead to farm and keep bees. I'm thinking of building a summer home where I can raise fish.

I occasionally venture forth to make some coin to support my black smithing, but otherwise, I'm the most boring hero ever.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I do find that interesting. I upset my fiance because I refuse to do dragonborn-related quests. I am the Dragonborn, but I'm terrible at it because I've just been playing guild quests and random little side adventures for two years. Now, with Hearthfire, I've all but retired from adventuring--choosing instead to farm and keep bees. I'm thinking of building a summer home where I can raise fish.

I occasionally venture forth to make some coin to support my black smithing, but otherwise, I'm the most boring hero ever.

Yeah, this is my experience. Over a hundred side quests open, and I haven't even Spoken to Ulfric yet.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Heza, you might find this entertaining: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/10/the-elder-strolls-part-1-fresh-off-the-boat/ I sure did. :)

And Jimmy has a good point.

Okay, I had to read that post and the other nine and the one where he stalks his wife before I could post and concur that it was, indeed, highly entertaining for me.

I can have two saved characters on Skyrim, right? The SO (who is more savvy than I) tried to and wiped out his main, so I'm apprehensive. But I totally want to do this--live as an NPC, on my own, just my wits to live on... it'll be glorious.

I guess I could just put all my gold away and go on sabbatical with my main, but... eh, my money-making skills are all so high, it wouldn't be much of a challenge.

(In other news, I spent three hours last night rearranging the things in my chests and barrels!)

ETA:

Albedo said:
This is a good metaphor for my life, actually.

Yeah... the litany of things I need to do before I get to the fun/important stuff in my life is staggering, just like all the fetch quests in my active quest list.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can have multiple saves. Just save in a new slot. Also, when you select a save a screenshot of your location appears along with your character name and level. Just be careful not to overwrite a character that isn't yours.

It's freakish and strange just how enthralled one can get arranging stuff in your house. I actually built the library at my house in Falkreath and filled it with as many books as possible. ... In alphabetical order. (coughWEIRDO!cough)

Anjasa

Fantasy Smut? Yes please!
Registered
Reaction score
We're definitely going to be getting it. My partner loves fantasy maps.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit torn. Basically, I need more information on Arena and Daggerfall.

I own Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and all their DLCs and expansions already. I've tried several times to get Arena and Daggerfall (both free on Besthesda's website) to work using a DOS emulator, but have never been successful. If Besthesda were releasing a version of those two games that could be run on modern systems (is that even possible? I know nothing about game development), I'd be all over this. What I've seen says that this set comes with the original games, and they still need a DOS emulator to run.

Reveen

Registered
Reaction score
They'd better re release Redguard one of these days, I swear to god...

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
And on the topic of de-sexualizing women in video games, someone made this for Skyrim: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/48160//?

I like it, mostly because it provides an alternative. Mind you, the base game didn't exactly have super-skimpy armor, but there are WAY more mods out there that turn the game into Robert E. Howard's Skyrim.

As always with threads like this, peruse the comments at your own risk.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else play without going to Bleak Falls Barrow? Seems that if you never do that quest you don't run into random dragons out in the world without going to a shrine. You can still unlock shouts and such, but the Dragonborn quest never advances.

Avoiding the whole plot has made a lot of sense for some of my characters. I still think it's way too easy to advance to lead the Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Mages' College, etc and so on, but now I can do so without a dragon showing up to get slaughtered every five minutes.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit torn. Basically, I need more information on Arena and Daggerfall.

I own Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and all their DLCs and expansions already. I've tried several times to get Arena and Daggerfall (both free on Besthesda's website) to work using a DOS emulator, but have never been successful. If Besthesda were releasing a version of those two games that could be run on modern systems (is that even possible? I know nothing about game development), I'd be all over this. What I've seen says that this set comes with the original games, and they still need a DOS emulator to run.

Technology has advanced so fast that the platforms for those games are obsolete--they need to be run on an emulator to work, no two ways about it. In order to re-release these games, Bethesda would have to completely remake them... almost from scratch, a huge expense and risk.

There is an indie project to remake daggerfall, but this brings with it several complications such as time cost and code cleanliness (seeing as this is no professional development), that's not forgetting the potential legal implications of re-writing someone else' IP.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
As long as they're only asking for donations, and not charging for it, it's legit. (Especially given Bethesda's support for the modding community).

But! The project seems to have stalled out in 2011. The last news there showed version 0.20 was ready, and the only download was 0.198. Which is a shame. It'd be kind of cool to see Daggerfall in a new engine. But, that's okay. Skyrim's mod community keeps good stuff rolling in.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else play without going to Bleak Falls Barrow? Seems that if you never do that quest you don't run into random dragons out in the world without going to a shrine. You can still unlock shouts and such, but the Dragonborn quest never advances.

Avoiding the whole plot has made a lot of sense for some of my characters. I still think it's way too easy to advance to lead the Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Mages' College, etc and so on, but now I can do so without a dragon showing up to get slaughtered every five minutes.
Alternate Start is a neat way around this.

Technology has advanced so fast that the platforms for those games are obsolete--they need to be run on an emulator to work, no two ways about it. In order to re-release these games, Bethesda would have to completely remake them... almost from scratch, a huge expense and risk.

There is an indie project to remake daggerfall, but this brings with it several complications such as time cost and code cleanliness (seeing as this is no professional development), that's not forgetting the potential legal implications of re-writing someone else' IP.
They could do what Blizzard is rumored to be doing and remake the games using their own modding tools.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
As long as they're only asking for donations, and not charging for it, it's legit.

Not true... ever heard of Morroblivion? Now including Skywind and Skyblivion, originally the development was fraught with problems due to using models and textures lifted from one game and transplanted to another. Not just the technical challenge of reworking dated model formats to fit a newer game engine (all 3 games, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim use the Gamebryo engine -- the creation kit/engine is Bethesda's own version after Emergent went tits up and sold the assets to stay afloat), but also the legal issues facing the mod once released incrementally. You simply cannot re-use resources from one game in another legally, it states this clearly in the EULA for both game and mod kit, even if both games are from the same publisher or developer.

Bethesda do support the modding community, more so than most developers... but modification is just that, modifying the game to include custom content.

A similar example was where a modder attempted to combine FO3 with FNV. This was ended very swiftly after being announced/released on the Nexus. Not sure if it is hosted elsewhere on the net.

The workaround that seems to meet the legality is what is currently being produced on Skywind; you must have all games installed so the resources can be loaded (using a hook from the mod to the data folder of that game) without being repacked. It's worth a read to see how it all ties together, especially if you're into modding and/or game development.

Still, respected sites like the Nexus won't host it because it's still a very grey shaded area with only philosophical supporting arguments... there's been a vast amount of discussion on the forums for that very reason.

Of course, recreating the whole damn lot from scratch is another matter altogether and perfectly legal (I believe) because it does not lessen the value of something where proprietary income is received from, in the case of Daggerfall and Arena for example which are made available for free by the publisher.

I still love Arena--the sheer vastness of it for its day (the only ES game to feature all provinces)--partly the reaon why I'm looking forward to ES Online, not crazy about the MMO aspect though (griefers etc); I hope they follow a Guildwars-esque model where every player has their own personal copy of the world and can choose who to invite into it, sharing only cities and towns per default.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.