Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Dawnguard DLC trailer

It introduces the Vampire element and the humans-out-to-kill-them element. :p
Not sure how exactly the Elder Scrolls would help block out the sun though . . . last I checked they were more tools of prophecy than power.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Dawnguard DLC trailer

Not sure how exactly the Elder Scrolls would help block out the sun though . . . last I checked they were more tools of prophecy than power.

No, they definitely do stuff, I think. Seem to remember the curse on the Gray Fox necessitated my stealing one from the imperial palace in Oblivion.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Dawnguard DLC trailer

I'm just glad this DLC involves another Elder Scroll. The series is named after the things yet every installment treats them like one-off McGuffins.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Dawnguard DLC trailer

I don't really mind waiting a month on the PS3, but I wonder if I'll be able to get this for my hacked OS X install...

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
You guys will get a kick out of this: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/20201

I got a freelance gig to do some short fiction a few weeks back, but it's been two years since I wrote any shorts. So I thought I'd write a Skyrim short and post it up as a mod. I've gotten a fair bit of positive feedback, and even a few donations!

For those that don't have a Nexus account, here's the link on my page: http://samueltcrown.com/?p=135

JoshW

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.purevolume.com
I'm just glad this DLC involves another Elder Scroll. The series is named after the things yet every installment treats them like one-off McGuffins.

Skyrim actually made one of the Elder Scrolls important, at least in the main quest line. Dawnguard seems to put even more focus on them, though.

JLBrady

up to no good
Registered
Reaction score
Dawnguard sounds somewhat interesting, but they always save up the good stuff (like a new world/region to explore) for the second expansion. So I'm anxious to see what that'll be. Shivering Isles is probably my favorite part of the whole series.

Skyrim's amazing good fun -- to the point where I've recreated my heroes from the other ES games just to play around -- but it could always use more crazyinsanity. The Pelagius mission was actually a bit on the dull side as far as interaction was concerned.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Shivering Isles is probably my favorite part of the whole series.
Yes. As much as I loved Oblivion--I remember just being blown away by the Shivering Isles. I guess I just expected more of the same--or maybe just another Oblivion stage--but it really wasn't. The all new flora (which was just to look at!) was amazing.

Pelagius was kinda dull and I remember only needing to really think about one of the puzzles, but I hope, if the second DLC is huge again, they pick a different D Prince or go in another direction (dwemer would be cool). I still have that hip bone sitting around my house in Whiterun somewhere...

JLBrady

up to no good
Registered
Reaction score
Doing something with the Dwemer would definitely be cool, since they put little hints here and there about the possibility of them coming back. Or maybe some big clash with the Thalmor. If they don't make that an expansion, I have a feeling the next game will be in Sommerset because of all that anti-Thalmor buildup.

But who knows. You can technically walk all the way to Morrowind if you take the clips off in the PC version, so they've pretty much got the entire continent to play with and populate. It'd be fun to just stroll between provinces for once.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one sort of interested in Hearthfire? Being able to make my own house and adopting kids sounds fun. I could make a house filled with forges, then add kids in rags and play Industrial Britain.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Am I the only one sort of interested in Hearthfire? Being able to make my own house and adopting kids sounds fun. I could make a house filled with forges, then add kids in rags and play Industrial Britain.

It actually looks very cool, but I'm not sure if that's enough for my money. I really like to get new story/questlines with my DLC. I'm keeping an eye on it as they reveal more though.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
It actually looks very cool, but I'm not sure if that's enough for my money. I really like to get new story/questlines with my DLC. I'm keeping an eye on it as they reveal more though.
I was hoping there might be a few pseudo-quests included...Like get this MacGuffin to unlock these house plans. But what am I saying? I'm still waiting for Dawnguard.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm starting a new game, finally finished making my character juuuuust the way I want it, I'm walking next to a river, and I catch movement in a small rapid.

Salmon jumping upriver.

I'd never noticed them before. Goddamit Bethesda, everytime I start to get bored, you throw a small detail to call my attention.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Mods to build your own houses were created months ago. Is that all they can come up with? Sigh :(

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested, but I'm going to wait until I have a better computer to buy any DLC.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Mods to build your own houses were created months ago. Is that all they can come up with? Sigh :(

Without mods, it's the closest we PS3 users can get... or would be, if Bethesda gave a crap about us. :(

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Ahaha! Ctrl+Alt+Del mostly sucks, but this one was hilarious :D

cad-20120831-318bb.png

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Now it looks like we may never get Dawnguard on the PS3.
One key part of their statement is as follows: “We tried a number of things, but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone. The issues of adding content get even more complicated. This is not a problem we’re positive we can solve, but we are working together with Sony to try to bring you this content.”

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons PS3 Skyrim sucked so much in comparison to the other versions was because the game took note of every arrow fired, on any place in the map, which was also one of the reasons the game took longer and longer to load the more you played, and the developers kept that in for "realism".

Yeah, because in a medieval world, the common folks would leave a few bundles of arrows lying in the forest.

A very cynical side of me thinks that Bethesda has gotten too comfy releasing very bugged games, since the PC mods will make the game better anyway. For consoles, well, tough luck.

I want a PC. :(

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Could someone tech savvy give me a hand with this? I think I'll be able to get a new computer by December, to give my poor li'l netbook a break.

I was hoping someone could tell me if the computer I had in mind would be able to run Skyrim well. (requirements) If not, could you recommend something in that price range?

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm afraid that one doesn't come with a graphics card (GPU). There's a PCI-E slot for it, but you can easily spend as much on the GPU as that entire machine, and you'd be very limited by the 4gb ram and slow processor.

If you're looking for the very basics, I'd suggest something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

It's more expensive (and there's no monitor), but that'll run Skyrim quite decently. The machine you linked MIGHT run it, but it'd be slow even on minimal settings. And the lack of GPU may be a real problem.

As for monitors, they're on the cheap side these days: http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=19&name=Monitors The Newegg weekend sale always has solid deals.

So, I hate to add to your bill like that, but I don't think you'd be happy with the one you linked.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm afraid that one doesn't come with a graphics card (GPU). There's a PCI-E slot for it, but you can easily spend as much on the GPU as that entire machine, and you'd be very limited by the 4gb ram and slow processor.

If you're looking for the very basics, I'd suggest something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

It's more expensive (and there's no monitor), but that'll run Skyrim quite decently. The machine you linked MIGHT run it, but it'd be slow even on minimal settings. And the lack of GPU may be a real problem.

As for monitors, they're on the cheap side these days: http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=19&name=Monitors The Newegg weekend sale always has solid deals.

So, I hate to add to your bill like that, but I don't think you'd be happy with the one you linked.
I'm not very computer savvy, so excuse the stupid question, but you can replace the components on a desktop PC like that one, right? Right now I have an all-in-one PC with a shitty graphics card, which makes running many games (including Skyrim) a pain, but I can't change the card. I've been wanting to get a gaming PC for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.