Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShamanDrum

Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised the game ran on Ultra settings on my 5 year old PC and average graphics card so well. It just seems to pause every minute or so whenever I'm running through the wilderness. Annoying but not game breaking.

Other than that, really loving the game. Haven't been gaming so many consecutive hours in years. Now I feel like going back and playing Morrowind and Oblivion again (never finished either).

Just a little overwhelmed with the scope of the world and its history. After reading the first few books in the game world, I gave up. Can't sink so many hours into reading. Think I'll just browse the wiki.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Playing on PS3, not noticed any change since the patch, not had any slowdown though tonight so maybe it has helped with that. Need to check the patch notes to find out what it is actually supposed to have done.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
The books are occasionally useful if they add a map marker. Those are the ones you should read and possibly take with your for reference. The rest you can click 'read' and ignore (if you're not interested).

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
For the first time I've fallen foul of the levelling system, gained 4 levels in fairly quick order from alchemy, smithing, enchanting and generally sneaking around town. So 4 levels up but haven't improved my combat skills at all and suddenly the next mission is much, much harder. Of course I gather skyrim does have 'target levels' for areas unlike Oblivion so it maybe that I'm trying too hard an area but it's certainly something to be careful of. Anyone else had this kind of problem? Had to give up on the mission 'hitting the books' because the boss just creams me in under 5 seconds. I guess with the pause function and a few hundred healing potions it might be manageable. Boss is a mage so upgrading armour or block/armour skills really isn't going to help. Overall though I'm finding it a damn good game.
Oh and met my first random dragon. It ate me.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Oh and met my first random dragon. It ate me.
I fought my first post-patch Elder Dragon yesterday. Thank the gods I had Barbas with me or I'm sure it would have decimated me. DRagons were so easy before! (OK, not "easy" but certainly manageable with the right combination of resist potion + defense buff + healing potions.) Did they buff them with the patch or something??? This guy was a monster!

As to running afoul of the leveling...My one-hand and light armor are both at 100 now. I took all the light armor perks and about half of the one-hand (ignored the perks specific to axes and maces, as well as backward power attacks--my fingers are too old for that crazy shite). Now I am worried about gaining any more levels as my character will never be able to improve his fighting ability. I plan on any future perks being in enchanting--so at least I'll be able to improve my weapons and armor--altho I'd also like to boost my alchemy a bit and some more sneak certainly wouldn't hurt. Oh, and maybe some speechcraft so I can finally sell off all these arrows I've been hording...

Man, there need to be some free perks. I mean I am basically down to about a dozen possible perks remaining and never even touched illusion, destruction, heavy armor, smithing, pickpocketing (just silly!), blocking, two-handed, speech, and only did a few perks in restoration and alteration.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Use the character builder I linked in the earlier thread. Look to have about 60 points. It'll help.

81 points is *possible* by maxxing everything to 100, but that will involve grinding.

There comes a point with the random dragons where they stop throwing the weak ones at you. The difference was marked.

Her Dark Star, if you're running into an encounter that just seems way too damn tough, then, yes, you've crossed a threshold. Do a few side quests, get a couple more combat perks, then come back. Or upgrade your equipment. And always carry a camel's worth of potions. ;-)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Use the character builder I linked in the earlier thread. Look to have about 60 points. It'll help.
That's what I meant. I'm at level 48 so I only have about a dozen possible perks left. And a great many skill-trees are completely untouched. I'm assuming the system was designed this way, to improve replay value, but it is a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILER-ish!

So, despite killing Grelod the Kind, I really didn't want to go down the Dark Brotherhood path again (like in Oblivion), and, low-and-behold, I was awarded with the anti-DB Quest "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood". I was thrilled.

But, does anyone know: is there an Anti-Thieves Guild Quest? It's too late for me this playthru--I joined the TG long, long (many saves) ago. But I'm really curious now.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
Has anyone else exploited Barbas? I just found him (at about 100 hours in) and spent most of my time playing today with him following me. He's awesome, but I'm beginning to feel a little guilty; he might be making things too easy! I know I'm gonna miss him when he's gone...

I can't wait to be rid of the little git. I'm playing an archer and the dog keeps nudging my aim by repeatedly walking into me when I'm stealthed.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to be rid of the little git. I'm playing an archer and the dog keeps nudging my aim by repeatedly walking into me when I'm stealthed.
Yeah, as big a boon as he was in tremendous fights--like that elder dragon--I finally got so annoied by his constant need for contact that I had to send him away.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
It's High Fantasy, as I understand it. It's world-based more than character-based.

So if I play when I'm overtired I start goofing off with console commands. You guys know Nazeem, right? Annoying guy in Whiterun, says stuff like "Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Oh, what am I saying -- of course you don't."

I spawned many of him, out in the plains near Whiterun. They fought some mobs. Then at the hour, they all turned and began walking towards the town. I ran ahead of them, spawning more.

They wandered around town for a bit. Then, after a couple in-game hours, they filed up into two neat lines and walked down the roads towards one place: The Drunken Huntsman. So of course, I followed them inside.

This is what I saw there: http://i43.tinypic.com/4kh1zq.jpg

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
Silly mage.

But seriously, did anyone watch the Seogorath video (also Youtube)? It must be edited, because if that load screen (when the character warps into Seogorath's realm/pelly's memory) is indicative of the load times on a PC, I am definitely wasting my time playing on a PS3. My load times have grown to up to two minutes...!
I've been playing it on a PC, and my load times are glacial. I'd kill (some dragons) for decent load times. As it is, I'll probably have to kill my wallet and upgrade my PC.

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing it on a PC, and my load times are glacial. I'd kill (some dragons) for decent load times. As it is, I'll probably have to kill my wallet and upgrade my PC.
It's gotten to the point that I loathe walking about town. If I visit even three shops I end up spending as much time staring at the load screen as I do playing the game...

On another note, can I just voice my appreciation for PS3 Support. I've submitted two tech questions to Bethesda over the last two weeks and rec'd one boilerplate response. Last night I finally submitted a question to PS3 ("can I remove this damned patch and play like I did before?" basically) and already heard back from them with very precise instructions on how to remove the patch.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Silly mage.

But seriously, did anyone watch the Seogorath video (also Youtube)? It must be edited, because if that load screen (when the character warps into Seogorath's realm/pelly's memory) is indicative of the load times on a PC, I am definitely wasting my time playing on a PS3. My load times have grown to up to two minutes...!

While I'm sure experiences may vary, people with high end computers have complained, in a first-world-problems sort-of-way, that the load screens go by so fast that its impossible for them to read the text/tips.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
While I'm sure experiences may vary, people with high end computers have complained, in a first-world-problems sort-of-way, that the load screens go by so fast that its impossible for them to read the text/tips.
I could recite the screens verbatim for those poor people--I've studied them at length.

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I could recite the screens verbatim for those poor people--I've studied them at length.
Same here. Reading about Hagravens in Skyrim has become as annoying to me as hearing all the Oblivion NPCs talking about how they despise goblins/mudcrabs/whatever.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. Reading about Hagravens in Skyrim has become as annoying to me as hearing all the Oblivion NPCs talking about how they despise goblins/mudcrabs/whatever.
I used to be annoied by the guards lollygagging about the towns, but then I took an arrow to the knee...

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Silly mage.

I've got it on my PC's SSD. Load times? What load times?

Status
Not open for further replies.