Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Oblivion was a good, if flawed, game. It tried new things, failed at some of them, but in general I think it was a pretty good step forward.

Fallout 3 improved on those things - though I still argue that the formula was not perfect until New Vegas improved on it.

So, clearly, Bethesda needs to hire Obsidian on as CREATIVE CONSULTANTS.

Because Obsidian can write really goddamn good stories, and make really goddamn good characters and really goddamn good settings.

Bethesda can do the legwork, Obsidian can provide the plot and worldbuilding.

It's a match made in heaven, I tell you!

IN. HEAVEN.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Woot! Can't wait! :D

The Black Ghost

Specter of the Path
Registered
Reaction score
I really love Oblivion--probably the open fantasy world most of all. The quests were sort of bad, but the gameplay and exploration kept me playing for so many hours.... so many hours....

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I played Oblivion once, completely ignoring the main quest...then I played it again and actually did the main quest...as well as every other quest. I loved being able to do whatever I wanted, though...okay, honesty: my second time through, I did not finish the Assassin's Guild. I was sorta in love with Lucien Lachance, and what happens at the end there made me refuse to finish it again.

But I cannot wait for the next installment and more awesome open-endedness.

Paladin

What? Nothing.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy about the Oblivion sequel news. Regarding Obsidian, though, they feel like classic brilliant writers unable to revise. Every game they release is glitchier than the norm for their genre, and you can only play the martyred developer card so many times.

I like a lot of their writing. Just wish they had the discipline to finish their games properly.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I like a lot of their writing. Just wish they had the discipline to finish their games properly.

To be fair, some of their games at least were released early because of pressure from the producer, not because they wanted to.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Non-gamers tend to make the decision on when to release. Some companies are better than others.

Always be wary of anything from Electronic Arts.

Paladin

What? Nothing.
Registered
Reaction score
See, LOG, I really disagree with this -- no offense intended.

It's like... this is a writing forum. Pretend you buy a book that has some lovely writing, but there are some strange obvious character problems, and then the ending almost totally falls apart. You look on the author's blog, and lo and behold, they had to write to a crazy deadline. Sure, okay, understandable, dang publishers... So you read his next novel, and it's the exact same thing. Same with the next one. And the next.

At some point, that author needs to learn how to write to a deadline.

And for Obsidian, they've had polish time on their last couple of games, and they were, while better that KotOR 2 on the completion front, still buggy glitchy messes compared to other games in the genre.

I get that the publishers push, but other companies appear to learn how to deal with that. At some point, you can't release a buggy mess and then complain that it was the publisher's fault.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I don't know where Bethesda of all game companies got a reputation for releasing unbugged games. The idea of them getting together with Obsidian on anything is pure lol. Talk about a bugfest.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, other than the paintbrush glitch (which is probably the coolest thing in history) I never had any bugs in Oblivion. So go Bethesda on that one.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I've had Obv since it came out. NEVER finished the MQ. And I've nonetheless had a blast with my 300+ hours of it. Mods make Bethesda games all the better.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know where Bethesda of all game companies got a reputation for releasing unbugged games. The idea of them getting together with Obsidian on anything is pure lol. Talk about a bugfest.

Well, see, I have this magical ability. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but buggy games aren't buggy for me.

I've NEVER run into a gamebreaking glitch. EVER. Even with 100 hours of Gothic II and 95 hours of New Vegas, and 65 hours of Alpha Protocol!

It's unholy. I think my parents may have made a pact with Exodus.

KidCassandra

learning how to BIC
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait for it to come out, but it'll probably end up on my shelf next to a long line of other Bethesda games I haven't finished.

Oblivion was my first. Beat all the main quest lines except the Dark Brotherhood, Knights of the Nine, and Shivering Isles. I got burnt out after I found out my amazing Champion of Cyrodiil had been leveled way incorrectly and could hardly kill a Timber Wolf anymore.

I thought I'd never love anything more than Oblivion, but then I was introduced to Morrowind. I'd been coddled by Oblivion's pretty graphics and spoken dialogue (not to mention the level system where everything is so easy at the beginning) so it was hard to get into, but in the end the more rugged feel to the world, the longer questlines and more intricate stories, and the danger of being murdered by a mudcrab not ten minutes into your stay at Seyda Neen won out. I'm still in love. Problem is, I've been playing for two years and haven't exactly completed ANY of the questlines... so it may be several more years before I even "beat" the game.

Meanwhile, Fallout 3 has been sitting on my shelf for months... and I impulse-bought FNV from Gamestop during their Black Friday sale...

*sigh* I might as well just sign a contract saying they can keep my soul.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, but finishing the Shivering Isles is so much fun! I had the time of my life with it :D

Morrowind... -twitch- I can't get into it. I've owned it forever, tried playing it multiple times, and I just can't for the life of me accept it. I think it's mostly the controls. I've never been big on PC gaming for that very reason, and I have the PC version of Morrowind.

KidCassandra

learning how to BIC
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I played Oblivion on PC, and the controls for the two are rather similar aside from some minor quibbles with the menus and spellcasting, so that wasn't a problem.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Just announced on the VGAs that it's coming out 11/11/11.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I played Oblivion on PC, and the controls for the two are rather similar aside from some minor quibbles with the menus and spellcasting, so that wasn't a problem.
Yeah, see I have Oblivion for the PS3 and Morrowind for the PC.

Just announced on the VGAs that it's coming out 11/11/11.
It' so far away! But also a completely awesome date.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I have Oblivion for the PS3. I played it once to about 70 hours before heading to the Shivering Isles, and ran into a huge glitch that corrupted all three of my save files. So I put it away for several months. I pulled it out a couple months ago (it seems to be a winter game for me) and did everything right this time (my leveling was pristine--I'm now Lvl 34 and can kill pretty much anything barehanded--and I never saved over an old save--always saved to a new slot), but it is still the most unstable platform game I've ever played. After about an hour, it sometimes refuses to load outdoor areas (especially around Bravil for some reason) and I have to shut the system down and restart it. Also, after finishing the Main Quest, I got the Blessing of Akatosh and was not able to save my game at all! Seriously, it froze when I brought up the menu screen. So I had to have my character sit in his little cabin at the Imperial City for several weeks of game time until the blessing wore off.

I never played Morrowind, so I can't compare the two, but I never found the world of Cyrodiil anything but spectacular. I NEVER fast travel or ride a horse because I just love running through the countryside so much. And of course Shivering Isles is beautiful. I will stipulate that the realms of Oblivion were a bit repetitive, but I still went there whenever I ran across a gate. I was sort of meh that it allowed me to be the head of the Fighters' Guild AND the Archmage AND the Grey Fox AND the Listener for the Assassins' Guild (they should have made us pick like two possible secondary quests--i.e., joining the Fighters' Guild precluded you from joining the Mage Guild and vice versa, but that's just me)

Of course more variety and more stability would be great, but I really want the new game to come out and not reinvent the wheel. I think Oblivion got the leveling right, the world is lovely and the quests offered enough variety for me.

KidCassandra

learning how to BIC
Registered
Reaction score
I
I NEVER fast travel or ride a horse because I just love running through the countryside so much.

Ah, then you'd like that about Morrowind: There's no easy fast travel like in Oblivion, though you can catch boats (or the city's giant bug monster) to other towns, and you can pay a person at the mages' guild to transport you to other guild sites instantaneously. It makes for a lot of walking when the nearest city to your destination is like two real-life hours of walking away. And though the graphics aren't as nice and the land not as homey as in Oblivion, the world feels more raw and more dangerous... and that's what I like about it.

I was sort of meh that it allowed me to be the head of the Fighters' Guild AND the Archmage AND the Grey Fox AND the Listener for the Assassins' Guild (they should have made us pick like two possible secondary quests--i.e., joining the Fighters' Guild precluded you from joining the Mage Guild and vice versa, but that's just me)

That's how it is in Morrowind. Different factions feel differently about each other and which factions you can join depend on which factions you're already in. The Mages and Fighters' guilds are on friendly terms, so it's possible to join both of those, but without a lot of hard work you can't be in both the Fighters' Guild and the Thieves Guild, as their interests are counter to one another. For that reason, it's impossible to complete all questlines on a single character.

I also like the fact that in Morrowind, in order to advance in rank in factions, you must reach certain levels in the associated skills and attributes. No more melee-oriented hammer-wielding Orc archmage. :)

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I do fast-travel sometimes, but only if I'm incredibly impatient. Most of the time I don't do it because I have the horse from Lucien Lachance (Shadowmere) and she will go after the enemies. The problem is she always gets herself hurt, so if I'm going to like...a cave, out in the middle of nowhere, I don't want to fast travel, because the horse goes with and gets herself killed.

While my level is like...I think I'm at 36 right now...I can't do the whole bare-handed killing thing. I designed my character for stealth, so my melee combat abilities suck. Now give me a bow and I will shoot anything from any distance. My sister hates me for being able to do that. Plus I can walk by anything/anyone in broad daylight without being seen when I enter Sneak mode. As well as pick any given lock with a single try.

But sheesh, I can't wait for the next installment. I want more awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.