Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what that means either, but I so can't wait! I'll probably make myself an uber-stealthy character again. I do so love stealth. And shooting things from absurdly far away--that's fun, too :D

ElizaFaith13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlgamersunite.blogspot.com
I had only one issue with Oblivion. All the gates seemed to be the same setup. There was never any variety. Other then that, total fan.

As for mods, no one can beat NWN. I spent a good two years just playing mods for that series.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft...I avoided the gates when I could.

I was re-playing NWN until a few minutes ago when it crashed. Doesn't work nearly as well on Vista, sadly, even with the patch.

Diamons

Registered
Reaction score
I never really understood Oblivion. I escaped prison, and then what? I had no idea what to do, where to go, and just wasted my time running around before I got bored.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I never really understood Oblivion. I escaped prison, and then what? I had no idea what to do, where to go, and just wasted my time running around before I got bored.

Did you listen to the NPCs? Because doing so would explain everything.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Did you listen to the NPCs? Because doing so would explain everything.
This.

And you basically just got quests by talking to people. It was a game that allowed for a ton of freedom.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
Also, TESV is apparently set in Skyrim. This means I get to exploit my love of Norse mythology when naming/roleplaying characters!

It's also supposed to have a new engine, too. But I'm not a technical-minded person so I'm not sure what that means... :tongue

http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/12/12/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-hosts-all-new-engine/

It means really good things for many reasons:

1. Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax Media has purchased id, the makers of a really powerful engine called idTech5, since making Oblivion. (id also has some of the most famous game designers in the business, as well) So hopefully some of that technology will get mixed with Bethesda's.

2. Gamebryo, Oblivion and Fallout's engine, is well known for very unusual bugs that I'm sure you've probably encountered. The very first person I killed in Fallout: New Vegas stretched his arms across the sky, flew 500 feet in the air and landed on top of a building I couldn't reach. Things like that could hopefully be fixed with a new engine.

3. Gamebryo, despite the bugs, is extremely outdated since this is the same engine Morrowind was developed under in 2002. Obviously, it's been heavily modified in the Fallout games, but it's time for a new tech.

4. Another problem with Gamebryo was what it did to gameplay. Despite being a huge RPG heavily dependent on interacting with NPCs, none of the NPCs in Oblivion really had much facial movement when talking to them. No matter how excited their words became the faces barely moved. None of them even looked all that different unless they were a lizard or covered in armor or some such.

5. Nothing Gamebryo ever did was really game-breaking (sometimes, like a bug in Morrowind that caused all Cave Textures to not load for me so I would fall into an abyss over and over again), but those bugs do generate a lot of complaints and could potentially hurt sales of the new game if Bethesda doesn't address them.

Basically, a new engine gives hope to a whole new graphical and technical experience. It doesn't mean it won't have bugs or be a problem sometimes, as ANY big RPG has to have problems, but it does give hope to the possibility.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Release Date is November 11, 2011.

I feel iffy about that, only three years of development time...

Video.
So, I get the feeling the Dragons are coming back in force (although I remember in Oblivion there was a book that explained the existence of a tiger-dragon off in the isles somewhere, my memory is iffy). And apparently someone who's "Dragonborn" is going to fight them off.

Why can I not ever HELP dragons as a main focus for a game? I have WoW...and that's about it. I want stuff more like Overlord, I want to destroy things!

Jettica

Superfluously multisyllabic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jetink.blogspot.com
I can't wait for this. Oblivion was amazing. The AI was amazing, the graphics were beautiful - I built a whole new PC for it - and the freedom was great.

I was under the impression that you had to do all of the Oblivion gates, which were crap and I wasn't enjoying at all. They were all so samey.

I didn't complete the main story line because of that.

I also loved Morrowind but tried playing it again recently and just couldn't get back into it after Oblivion even though the storyline was so much better.

I love Fallout 3 but it was so bleak, I was getting bored of walking across barren landscapes to get to somewhere without coming across anything to kill/be killed by. I will complete it when I rebuild my PC so it can at least look a little bit good.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
To be honest, I found these games almost too big and too free. I played some of Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 and never really got all that far in any of them.

Having said that, I will probably dip my toe into The Elder Scrolls V, because I really really want to like it.

pdblake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pdblakeauthor.wordpress.com
I liked Oblivion but preferred Morrowind by a long way. I found Oblivion far too easy and hand holdy. The quest compass made everything too simple to find. Also, OB was far too small, even with expansions. MW was massive. Even now, years later, I find things that I've not noticed before. I saw pretty much everything in OB within a month of installing it. I hope Skyrim is a mix of MW gameplay (save for the combat) and OB graphics and engine.

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I liked Oblivion but preferred Morrowind by a long way. I found Oblivion far too easy and hand holdy. The quest compass made everything too simple to find. Also, OB was far too small, even with expansions. MW was massive. Even now, years later, I find things that I've not noticed before. I saw pretty much everything in OB within a month of installing it. I hope Skyrim is a mix of MW gameplay (save for the combat) and OB graphics and engine.
I actually found it not nearly easy enough to find stuff. Give me a journal that works!
Why would you want to make it hard to find things? Wandering aimlessly around for hours trying to find your quest is not my idea of fun.

Saltricks

Registered
Reaction score
I loved loved loved Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3 and New Vegas so much. They are the best games I have ever played in my life. So much time exploring, questing, or just messing around. I have a special place in my heart for Bloodmoon, a Morrowind expansion, because of my lifelong fascination with werewolves. I remember you could get this ring that lets you transform into a werewolf at will which would use a multiplier on your stats which basically let me jump tall buildings in a single bound and punch people 50 feet as a werewolf. Good times. Cannot wait for Skyrim. CAN NOT WAIT

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So...our foe this time is called Alduin. Apparently that's just another name for Akatosh...

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Having read the complete feature in GI (those were a delight) I can now say that November is entirely too long to wait. I want it now.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm busy replaying Oblivion. We got a new PS3 and for some reason the data we had backed up from the old one refused to transfer, so I had to start from scratch. And much as I love Oblivion, I always get excited for new games. Especially when they look as brilliant as Skyrim.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm busy replaying Oblivion. We got a new PS3 and for some reason the data we had backed up from the old one refused to transfer, so I had to start from scratch. And much as I love Oblivion, I always get excited for new games. Especially when they look as brilliant as Skyrim.

In all honesty, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to play Skyrim on this PC.
So I may be stuck with Oblivion for a few more years. Hardly a problem though ;)

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, gosh. I can't imagine working with a PC for Oblivion. I have Morrowind for PC and can't bring myself to play it. (I'm really utter crap at PC gaming. I stick to L4D and NWN and that's it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.