Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed the Obsidian RPGs I've played, but the major problem I have with them—especially apparent in KotOR II and New Vegas—is that they really aren't good with grey-and-grey morality, despite how they try to make it a major part of those games.

With KotOR II, they changed what was a very good Star Wars story from the first game into "Revan didn't just fall to the Dark Side, the Jedi are just too stupid to realize that!" with things that didn't exist at all in the first game's plot. You could probably make a good deconstruction of the Jedi and Sith, but having a Star Wars game that acts like it's better than Star Wars by just trying to make the Jedi look like idiots for the sake of "deconstructing" them doesn't really work. The main problem, of course, is that the game adheres to the prior game's Light Side/Dark Side morality mechanics—and taking the choices that agree with Kreia's "deconstruction" attempts almost always gets you Dark Side points. Let alone that (spoiler) Kreia is so blatantly and completely evil and her goals are made clear to amount to mass murder.

With New Vegas, they give you three different factions to choose from, as well as the "your own rules" choice. Said three factions are a capitalist who really doesn't care about anyone outside of his garden of Eden, a bunch of psychotic murderous sexist savages, and the faction that—while quite overburdened and lacking in resources—is the only faction that actually provides aid to the people at large and protects them from threats. Essentially, the argument for the NCR having a few "bad apples" doesn't quite weigh them down in comparison to a faction that has no good apples at all. Even your companions are heavily weighed against the Legion, and the one time one of them actually speaks somewhat positively of the Legion is a massive out-of-character moment given that companion's backstory. And to add to that (spoilers again) the NCR ending is the only ending that can get positive outcomes for every good faction in the game, as well as the only ending that gets positive outcomes for certain groups such as the Brotherhood of Steel.

(Though in fairness, there is something to be said for "trying to help people actually helps them" in games, so they're better than CDPR in that regard. :greenie)

I can see where you're coming from with Revan and the Jedi. Personally, I do find everyone's favourite glowy sword-wielding monks pretty dense, but then both sides are pretty daft when unifying their ideologies would solve a lot of problems for everyone. Then again, that's probably the point.
I quite liked the new interpretation of Revan, though. Less of a good guy gone bad and more someone who fought for his cause no matter what, donning and shedding identities as needed. The part I took exception to was the concept of 'true' sith. I still can't put my finger on why, exactly, but I hate the thought. That was one of two reasons why I refused to play the MMO until my friend got me in a virtual headlock and made me play it to realise I do, in fact, enjoy it. The other being how they dealt with the Exile, but that's a whole other subject.

I'm thinking it really depends on one's playstyles or what aspects that one enjoys in a game, and personal tastes (like anything else in life).

I'm not one for RPG elements (maybe some JRPGs) so I'm not a hardcore RPG gamer.

I just love the freedom and exploration, and the beautiful worlds.

I just like to have fun in a casual sense, especially with more action-oriented stuff.

I'm more into Action-Adventure/Action games like Tomb Raider (the original 90s ones which I grew up on), so the more action-y RPGs tend to get more of my interest.

While I do enjoy some story stuff and some minor RPG elements, I tend to enjoy games more for action/arcade, simulation (like Harvest Moon or Sims), or exploration and freedom than tons of story cutscenes and/or RPG-strategy elements.

I'm terrible with strategy and impatient with stats-stuff, so I tend to not enjoy most "pure" RPGs (or JRPGs or strategy games) all that much, and I tend to drop them at a faster rate compared to other genres.

Anyway, I just love customization and freedom to explore worlds, which means the Elder Scrolls games are more fun for me to play than most pure (or old-school)RPGs.

I'm a "casual" gamer who loves to hack and slash, so I think this is why the later Elder Scrolls appealed to me more as the games got somewhat more "action-based" than strictly stats-based (Oblivion and Skyrim over Morrowind).

So, for me, Skyrim satisified me enough to buy three different versions of it...

Likewise. I've played both actiony and more traditional RPGs as I grew up and can appreciate both, but I don't miss farting about with largely arbitrary numbers to determine how well I can swing a sword.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm reading now that Sony has approved Skyrim mods for PS4, but... only using assets available in the game files?

What does that mean? Er, rather... how does that impact what I will or won't be able to get in a mod?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
It pretty much means no outside files added. So no new textures, weapons and armors that aren't built on pre-existing game files.

So you can get cheat mods to boost your levels, give you access to in-game crafting materials, probably things to decorate your home easier, turn off dragon encounters, etc and so forth. But if you want to turn all the dragons into Thomas the Tank Engine or Randy Savage, or make you Dragonborn an anime character with Cloud's buster sword, you won't be able to.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if character models will be improved?

The biggest appeal of mods for me in all of the modern elder scrolls games: Mods really do help in the fugly NPC looks department, lol. XD

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have this HUGE list of mods, but it doesn't work on X-Box and doesn't work with the special edition...

I did like this one combat mod. I don't remember the name, but it was part of the G.E.M.S series (or at the very least, had the logo.)

Ah!

Found the list! Not sure how useful it'll be on the X-Box, but it's worth a shot: http://skyrimgems.com/

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're having fun!

Me, I'm sad because the only way to get Skyrim to actually run at the 9,000 FPS I require is to run it using the 64 bit mode and there's no mods for 64 bit more (at least, none last time I checked.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I am. Though I experienced a bit of buyers remorse with Frostfall. There was a pretty steep learning curve on the regular setting (you can set it to milkdrinker, but what's the fun in that?). And unfortunately when the game was initially laid out, early quest destinations were set in places frostfall made it all but impossible to visit without freezing to death. Not sure how someone who wanted to play as a mage would ever get to the college until after several hours of play (being a sneaky sniper, the college was not important to me...Fortunately).

RonMF

Registered
Reaction score
Skyrim is one of THE BEST games I have ever played. My only hatred is the time it's stolen from my life. ;)

Also, I've been playing a lot of Elder Scrolls Online, which is the Elder Scrolls world/Skyrim, but with thousands of other players. It's pretty awesome going on adventures with friends. It's what I always wanted when playing Skyrim alone: "I wish I could do this with friends!"

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a point in buying the special edition on the Xbox one if I played it through a few years ago on the 360? I haven't touched it since, but I'm certain I didn't do all there was to do in the game. I also can't remember the main storyline that well.

I've also heard that PC mods really enhance the games, but I don't play PC. I have a MacBook Air, lol.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a point in buying the special edition on the Xbox one if I played it through a few years ago on the 360? I haven't touched it since, but I'm certain I didn't do all there was to do in the game. I also can't remember the main storyline that well.

I've also heard that PC mods really enhance the games, but I don't play PC. I have a MacBook Air, lol.

Mods are available on console now. They can radically change the game if you like, or just make a few things better. Although if you're one of the players that didn't spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours wandering around Skyrim, I don't think mods are a compelling enough argument to buy the game again.

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad my dragon encounter rate in the mighty skyrim seems to have calmed the hell down a notch, I was getting a frisky scale-scumbag every 15 minutes on average for ages, it was disgraceful! I think fast traveling was offending them and probably offending my experience of the game too, I have cut down fast travel and they have relented from divebombing my head in the incessant manner they had previously been reveling in. I am about thirty hours in and haven't even picked a side yet lol, I keep visiting ol' Sir Stormcloak and watching him sit in that hall in Windhelm and stare at me with that miserably inquisitive expression. I am gonna join the other side unfortunately for him, I like him but I like a lot of people over in that place.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
I've never played any of the other Elder Scrolls games. But I did have Skyrim for PC a few years ago. I made a Wood Elf. I love games where you have huge environments to play around in. Those are my favorite. My strategy for dealing with the dragons was "hide and let the other people kill it then collect the soul afterwards." I also got killed more times than I'd like by dragons and wolves. One day I was playing it and my laptop crashed! I had to get a new hard drive put in it. I was convinced the game was the reason, so I returned it to our local Wal-mart. I'm thinking about getting it for PC again.
2 questions:
Do I have to have Steam or be online to play it? I didn't like dealing with that the first time. (Living in a place with limited internet access.)
Would it be better if I downloaded it on desktop instead of a laptop?

C.Harmon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you need Steam to get it for PC, and considering it's an older game, a mid-level computer might be fine to run it. It just depends on what kind of rig you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.