Other dimensions -- reading recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read a lot of fantasy/sci fi (I don't usually like it, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm writing it) -- I'm not very au fait with this stuff.

I want to deal with multiple dimensions in my new project. I know about string theory (I loooove string theory), but can anyone reccommend any other science-y reading on the subject? I have to know how things "work".

(Yes, I was the sad girl slinking into her boyfriend's lectures at uni instead of going to the pub. They were interesting, ok?!).

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hominids, by James Alen Gardener, is about an alternate reality where the neanderthals survived and we didn't, and the wacky hyjinks* that happen when a quantum computing experiment hurls a neanderthal scientist into our world.

*Note, wacky hyjinks may or may not actually be wacky and may include somber reflections on the nature of humanity

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Hominids, by James Alen Gardener, is about an alternate reality where the neanderthals survived and we didn't, and the wacky hyjinks* that happen when a quantum computing experiment hurls a neanderthal scientist into our world.

*Note, wacky hyjinks may or may not actually be wacky and may include somber reflections on the nature of humanity

Thanks -- that sounds fascinating. I am after actual science though, as opposed to the fiction bit :) I thought this'd be the best place to ask.

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite science-science-fiction books are by Krauss. He's written a few, but the first one he wrote is called "The Physics of Star Trek." It obviously deals with more than multiple dimensions, but it does talk about them. It's very easy to understand, and light, entertaining reading, too. There's another called "Beyond Star Trek," and another that slips my mind.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
You should pick up a few popular science (nonfiction) books. Great authors:

Michio Kaku
Brian Greene
Stephen Hawking

Edit: specific books by them that I enjoyed that deal with ideas of "other dimensions:"

HYPERSPACE by Michio Kaku
THE ELEGANT UNIVERSE by Brian Greene

And anything by Hawking, of course. He has a way of explaining astrophysics concepts that just flings the windows of your mind wide.

Edit #2: haven't read this yet, but Kaku has another, newer book out on "alternate/parallel worlds" (not the same thing as "other dimensions" in our universe, but this may be closer to what you're looking for):

PARALLEL WORLDS by Michio Kaku

Last edited:

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've just ordered The Elegant Universe -- thank you! I'm really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.