The Line of The Day (YA-style)

Exile87

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been done in YA before, but it's one of my all-time favorite threads in M/T/S!

All you have to do is share your favorite line(s) from your WIP. That can be one sentence or a few. It's all just for fun, no critiquing!

Last edited:

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a LOT of lines I could post.

Here's the first:

Layla beamed. "I'm the first one. Wish me luck."
"Luck you." I mumbled.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Again, from Sleeping

That was what I liked best about Layla Angelus: her complete lack of rational fear.

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.disneygeekwriter.blogspot.com
From Chapter 2 of Days Like These

Having mastered sneaking into Patrick’s room to steal CDs and such from him while he slept, I had no trouble getting into Leo’s room undetected. I spotted the remote to his stereo system and snatched it up. Pausing the CD, I pressed my thumb down on the volume button turning the system to full strength. I wound my way past the boxes and bags that littered the floor getting back to the doorframe. Cringing, I unpaused the CD and was blasted by the dulcet tones of heavy metal.

I walked away still laughing. In the back of my mind I recalled the last time I had used the “wake up fairy”. I had used in my opinion the most annoying song known to man to wake up my brother Patrick. I had found a copy of I’m Henery the Eighth, I Am. However, three days later, Hurricane Katrina took out our house. Coincidence? I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

perfectisafault

Registered
Reaction score
from my current YA WIP:
It’s never a question if one of us is doing something. It’s always a question of what we’re doing. Why would we sulk around smoggy Santiago during the winter months, when other places like Paris, New York or Madrid call to us?

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
What is M/T/S?

And here's mine. It's kind of funny looking at lines completely with no context. :p

In an act of defiance – though whom she defies, she has no idea – she strips off the blindfold, preparing her hardest stare. “Are you happy?”
She’s looking to a wall. Exasperated, she whirls around to face him, meaning to repeat the words. But at the first sight of his face, his whole person, the challenge dies on her lips. Blessed Gods Almighty. Blessed all the Saints ever canonized to Holiness. His beauty is overwhelming. Momentarily, her mind goes blank in sheer awe.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Just wrote this. It isn't great, but it's mine:

"This feeling – this feeling of knowing what to do, instinctively knowing – is fast and fresh and there to be relished."

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok here it is from Unsung Zeros

“Wow almost sounds like you’ve done this before.”

“I have, remember I’m an author, planning to kill people in books is no different from planning to kill people in real life.” She said with a devilish grin.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This is from an as of yet unnamed sequel to my book The Avengers.

In The Avengers, humanity is attacked by these terrible creatures called Eaters. However, their attack also unlocks an amazing power...people who are creative are able to focus that creativity into a psudo-magical effect. Authors have become our new soldiers.

I walked past the tents, each one arrayed in a group with a sign out front. The 9th Strikers. The 10th Gryffindors. I stopped. "The Gryffindors!?"

My guide turned back and grinned. "Yup! A hundred and ten Harry Potter fan fiction writers."

"What the hell do they do?"

"They're a support brigade. We deploy them with artillery battalions or line units that are going to be fighting for hours and hours." He grinned. "If you think they're weird, just wait till you meet YOUR brigade."

ex_machina

Enjoy the show.
Registered
Reaction score
Love the 'man in the moon is a dick' line, Smish. :D
From SIGHTLESS:

The temperature isn’t bitter, but it’s enough to make me shiver beneath three layers. Joseph wears a trench coat, and Shadus has a scarf that covers his mouth. I hate November.

“It’s my birthday soon.” Shadus says lightly into the air that’s heavy with our awkward quiet.

I hate November even more.

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
From An Egyptian Secret

I stepped carefully down the fine carpet, trying to be the graceful girl I knew was in me somewhere. So focused on not making a fool of myself, I missed the last step and tumbled ever so non-gracefully, landing on my face, right at the feet of the man I loved more than anything else.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Fighting evil in secret is easy. It's hard when you come out of the closet.

“I know, hon, it’s just…metal serial killers? Meathooks?” She stopped at a stop light that paused all people coming off the mountain, so no one plowed into intersecting traffic. “Its…its…its…”

“What?” I asked. “Impossible? Mom, I arrest NECROMANCERS for a living!”

She sighed and pulled out into the intersection. “So, why did you have to go to prison?”

I sighed. “Meathooks are serial killer’s souls bound with magical bodies. Okay. So, you can only kill them by re-doing the way they died in real life. But THIS serial killer was a cold case, so we don’t have any idea how he died.”

“Aaah.” Mom nodded.

“Last time, Max and I stopped it by dumping concrete on it after shoving it into a iron mill’s vat of liquid metal.”

“Like Terminator 2!”

I sighed. “Yes. Mom. Like Terminator 2.”
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Orion11Bravo

Registered
Reaction score
From my nano-novel:

"Dad? Dad! Stop looking at me like I have a dick growing out of my forehead and help me get rid of grandpa's body."

Three Fish

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Dare was trapped. Thirty-four levels below the ground.

KidCassandra

learning how to BIC
Registered
Reaction score
“What?” I asked. “Impossible? Mom, I arrest NECROMANCERS for a living!”

Oh, dear. My necro, Gwenn, may have to keep clear of your characters, Zoom.

My offering:

At this point, dating Thatcher would be almost like incest. And even necromancers draw the line at incest.

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's Days Like These

"This from the girl who still write Mrs. Patrick Baron Wilson on her calculus homework."
"You like who you like and I'll like who I like."
"And the award for the most times the word like is used in a single sentence goes to Kendra Louis."

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Editing.

“I don’t want to go up against guns with swords. Even with my powers, that’s really obviously a shit idea.”

“Not necessarily,” Helga said, holding up her finger. “A primitive musket does not have rifling. They are not incredibly accurate, nor do they fire with any great speed. A crack unit of musketmen can put out three volley per minute, while a single good shot can do so roughly four times every minute, I think.”

“Shockingly, that does not reassure me,” Tracy snarked, a sign that we were all hanging around Zack too much.

“It could be worse.” Helga shrugged. “They could have the equivalent of Minnie balls. Those things quadrupled the effectiveness of muskets, mostly because you could suddenly hit what you were aiming at.”

Tracy slapped her hand over her face.