The Fellowship Cafe

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, its been so long. I think that was just before Purgatory thread was started. Memory lane...

So, for some background info -- my hubby and I have always enjoyed writing but life got in the
way. We both had to step back and set up some priorities. Now, we are living in Czech Republic
with 3 children who are all (thankfully) in school. So I'm in the process of re-starting.

This time, we're allowing God to lead.

Last edited:

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I started writing short devotionals for each other and discovered a huge point -- the source of our breakdown 8 years ago. He's Czech and when I used to translate his work, it was exact but wrong. Now that I understand the Czech language soooo much better, I actually understand that he writes literary! And I made all his sentences short and snappy because I like simple and easy to read. But he wanted the deep description with such attention to detail and I cut it out or turned it into action.

We are still doing devotionals for each other, but also advice for Christian couples. We've been married for almost 19 years and our relationship hasn't only survived, but thrived. I started a blog that I will eventually link in my signature. I put it in the "Blog Review" section because I just want to make sure the buttons go to the right places and nothing major is missing.

Nutshell answer: short stories with a Christian message

Anyway, The Redeemers is in print?! Wow! Good job.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be alpha, but not anymore. I've softened up in my 40's. Somehow, I even managed to adopt a phlegmatic outlook. My youngest daughter has always been my hero. She is always happy, to the point of sickening. I remember once, I grounded her (no phone for a week) for not cleaning her room and her reaction was to smile and say, 'more time for family games.'

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

Did any of you guys see the movie, The Shack?

I caught it last Saturday and (controversy aside) I really enjoyed it.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Have been on here for a year, but just found this thread. Have given up coffee so it's decaf. tea for me. But there's always cookies or banana bread to go with it. Not giving that stuff up! :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

No, I read the book and have no desire to see the movie. I'd be curious to hear what others thought though! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

- - - Updated - - -

Have been on here for a year, but just found this thread. Have given up coffee so it's decaf. tea for me. But there's always cookies or banana bread to go with it. Not giving that stuff up! :)

I will drink your coffee for you. Because I am that nice.

:ROFL:

Seriously, welcome. :) Push that coffee my way...

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi again everyone!

*puts out donuts and hot chocolate.*
Just because they sound so tasty right now but I have none. They are now on my store list.

I've missed AW and this cafe! I hope everyone had a great Christmas and that this year is better for everyone. I'm praying for al those who mentioned so many struggles and sicknesses.

I was in the hospital again from mid Nov to Dec 21. I got out just in time for Christmas! Hurray! My 3 kids and hubby and I were thrilled.

On writing, I know there are times when I *could* write but I'm procrastinating. I'm sure no one here has ever had that problem. Never at all. *cough*

So I'm praying for everyone, for loved ones who need prayer, for yourselves, and that we all procrastinate less and get better at BIC - maybe plan ahead or sit when the ideas hit.

May you all have a great March! Prayers and best wishes!

Last edited:

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I'd kind of like to see it. I just couldn't get into the book. I had four different people recommend it to me and I tried, I really tried, but I thought it was weird from the beginning so I set it down to go do dishes or laundry or something and just never picked it back up. I'll probably wait until it's out on DVD since we don't go to the movies often.

*has big slice of banana bread*

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I was in the hospital again from mid Nov to Dec 21. I got out just in time for Christmas! Hurray! My 3 kids and hubby and I were thrilled.

On writing, I know there are times when I *could* write but I'm procrastinating. I'm sure no one here has ever had that problem. Never at all. *cough*

Yay, so glad you were home for Christmas! I'm sure that meant so much to your family (and you!). ♥

Procrastinating? Pffffft, never, not me! Well, maybe once in a while. Every now and then... okay, fine, I'm doing it right now. Today, I shall blame Daylight Savings!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Big slice of banana bread. Softened cream cheese to schmear on top of the slices. Sorted that for ya!

I'm working on my WIP somewhat haphazardly because I have no idea where it needs to go next. That's the reality of a pantser's life. I also have a work-for-hire job, my first real freelance gig, writing comprehension pieces for fourth graders. It's more challenging than I thought it might be!

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I'll have a seat in this oversize plush chair with one of the Cafe kitties curled up on my lap. Perhaps with some peppermint tea.

I'm pondering my path. Agent rejections are piling up, and they all say the same thing - great writing, love the story, just not right for us right now {or some variation thereof}. As you probably know CBA agents are not plentiful, and I'm nearing the end of the pool of agents I have left to query. So I'm trying to work my next steps out in my head. First, trying to stay positive. At least I know I'm not sending out crap, because they're not going to tell me it's good if it's not. Next, now what? I have several small presses who have invited me to submit to them (after conference meetings). Do I want to go with a small press? I don't know. Do I want to self-publish? At this point, no. To do it well will require a LOT more research and study before I'd even consider it.

Alternately, I could change direction and head into the ABA and write clean, albeit not overtly Christian, which may be an easier sell, simply because the market is so much larger.

*sigh*

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Back to 'The Shack' movie. My daughter watched it and she said the beginning was slow. I agree, that it might be one of those to 'rent and see'.
Note to Carrie: Don't give up, girl. There are some small Christian presses that will get your work out there and then you won't have to do all the work yourself. Just sayin'. Nothing against self-publishing, when you have to, you have to. Hats off to people who can juggle everything that goes along with that, though.