The Fellowship Cafe

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! This room is dark. Just waking it up with some sunshine..

*opens all the drapes*
*dusts off the surfaces and fluffs pillows on the comfy couch*

Here are chocolate kisses and vanilla and strawberry cupcakes. Maybe some of you all will stop by and have a bite?

*puts out orange juice and napkins too*
*sits with my iPad Mini to write with thumb typing while waiting for people.*

Come on, we can procrastinate (uh I mean socialize) together.

Have a blessed day!

Victor Clairmont

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! This room is dark. Just waking it up with some sunshine..

*opens all the drapes*
*dusts off the surfaces and fluffs pillows on the comfy couch*

Here are chocolate kisses and vanilla and strawberry cupcakes. Maybe some of you all will stop by and have a bite?

*puts out orange juice and napkins too*
*sits with my iPad Mini to write with thumb typing while waiting for people.*

Come on, we can procrastinate (uh I mean socialize) together.

Have a blessed day!

Close the blinds! Close them! Arrrggg! My eyes! I am a night owl! ARrrrgggggghhhh! *gurgles while grabbing the orange juice for much needed vitamin C*

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: atthebeach. I'm not procrastinating, though. I'm... um... thinking of really important things. Is what I'm doing. Yes. Yes, that sounds good!

*throws a blanket over Victor*

Victor Clairmont

Registered
Reaction score
*hides under the security blanket and never lets go, like Linus from Charlie Brown*

My preciouuusss.....*gurgles*

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*closes half the drapes*
There you go. Now there's a side of the room that's dark for those not used to the light.
*sets out fresh coffee cake and juice for the day- some in the dark side of the room.*

And heyjude thanks for the welcome! :hooray: Yeah I'm not procrastinating either, um well, maybe I'd better not directly lie in the Christian forum so uh, yeah not procrastination, but just putting off and rescheduling things is all, yep.

*sits in a relaxing chair, feet up, in the dark side of the room, with every intention of typing words into my iPad Mini, yet eyes getting very sleepy...*

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Question!

(Sorry, were you asleep? Or just thinking with your eyes closed?)

How do you type on your mini? Do you have a keyboard? I have a mini that apparently is perilously close to being an idol in my life. :D (Unlike coffee, which long ago took that throne, as my boss likes to point out. But he can't say too much, as he has the same obsession).

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh uh hello! No I was uh hmm yeah thinking with my eyes closed. That'll work. :snoopy:

I did really get a good nap today though.

Ooh I used to love coffee (used to live where they had drive up coffee place at every corner years ago) but after it started to bother my stomach, I ended up loving some "no-coffee coffee" mixtures. Basically iced chocolate milk (not sure what I was thinking with that one) or now my usual is hot nonfat milk and foam with hazelnut or vanilla flavor. Minus coffee.

Delicious, and without the bitter coffee taste! I know, horrible to many, but mmmm- and our church has a coffee service area before and after services. I still wonder if it's not too biblical to have a shop at church that sells on the day of worship, but I know the proceeds go to good causes and they do help me stay awake during Sunday School hour (uh, not that I have trouble with that, uh no, not me).

But on a more serious note I really miss being able to just go to church. Long story but my health is so bad right now I can't go places (partly due to taking chemotherapy but for out-of-control Lupus, not cancer), so my husband takes our kids and I have to watch online- and they are a week delay so I miss seeing the same sermon my kids do to talk about together, until a week later- not the same thing. Oh well for now.

On the question of my iPad Mini- oh my it is heaven! I use it for everything. Everything. E v e r y t h i n g! I spent several months of this year in the hospital and the Mini was small enough to keep with me and helped me deal with missing my hubby and kids between visits.

For writing books I use the Storyist app for iOS. It is amazing on this device. I also use the free Pages app for any kind of general documents someone needs, or google docs. And I used to grade papers and do everything with Blackboard on the iPad Mini when I was a professor (but haven't taught since summer 2015, but will again once healthy enough). I do own a MacBook Air, but I almost never use it.

I bought my girls a keypad that rolls up and you barely touch the keys to go with their Minis and it works, nice enough with Bluetooth (they had saved money for years and bought their own Minis). But ithe keyboard is really not worth it to me.

:hooray:Sorry, I think I discussed everything but your actual question- how do I type on it? I thumb type. Yes I can do regular typing on a keyboard extremely fast, but I have become almost as fast now thumb typing as with a regular keyboard.

My favorite way on the Mini is using split keyboard-if anyone doesn't know, you do this by turning the iPad Mini landscape/sideways, then when keyboard appears, take thumbs together in the middle and swipe out. It's just perfect for my fingers once I got used to it. I only have to reach the keys I need from each side. So my hands are resting and fingers on the Mini (I have it in an I-Blason folio case so it's already propped up) and then my thumbs type on their respective sides- no need to pick up hands or anything.

My arms get weak easily so this is why I started doing this. But I have found I can now type without even watching my thumbs most of the time, it just took time to practice. Plus autocorrect helps a lot. :)

Anyway heyjude, glad to find someone else who can't live without their Mini! I do email, shopping lists, Amazon orders, Netflix, AW, book writing, online teaching, video conferencing, etc all with this nice thing that fits into my purse.

*sits back down on the dark side in a comfy chair, iPad on a pillow in lap, arms ready for thumb typing, eyes closed. Just thinking a bit. Yep that's it. Dream-thinking.*

So I'm giving my thumbs a short break (since I kind of made this post soooo much longer than the one-lined answer it could have been), but if anyone comes by after about 20 min, and my eyes are still closed, you can wake me- don't be too cruel- no need for a kick in the pants (unless I've slept all day and need a kick for BIC time).

I think just the smell of a donut could help wake me, or perhaps warm cookies. Hmm That'll wake me. Whichever, I'm not picky. But I love chocolate too. Hot chocolate? Surprise me. Anyone. Hmm that all sounds too good...

*closing the rest of the drapes- looks to see if it woke Victor- shhh*

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Atthebeach, I'm sorry about your medical stuff. :( But how cool that we have the technology that connects us to the rest of the world! *strokes Mini in totally non-creepy way*

*shoves Victor over on the couch*

*pours non-coffee coffee for atthebeach, totally caffeined coffee for self*

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, man, this last hunk of coffee cake is stale. *whines*

Hang on...

*bakes fresh coffee cake and brings it in*

That's better.

Atthebeach ~ So sorry to hear about your health issues. That's got to be such a challenge.

I got a bluetooth keyboard for my kindle fire, and it worked okay, but nothing special. And transferring anything was a pain, so I gave up and bought an itty bitty laptop at Walmart. I use it exclusively for writing away from home. It's an HP Stream - I think it was about $200. It's 11" and super thin, so it works really well for my needs. I *mostly* work in Google Docs with it. My reasoning is that since it's my travel companion, if it ever gets lost or stolen or damaged, I won't lose anything. The keyboard is on the small side, but not nearly as uncomfortable as the tiny bluetooth keyboard for my kindle. :)

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
heyjude- thanks.
And oh yes, it's amazing and really helps me not feel so distant when I can't even go anywhere but can go places or connect to others virtually anytime. *also strokes iPad Mini in a mostly non-creepy way*

*drinks my non-coffee coffee from heyjude, and grabs a slice of fresh coffee cake from Carrie in PA- yum.*

*tries to step over Victor to get to comfy chair and spills non-coffee coffee on his shoes. Shhh he won't know*

Thanks Carrie in PA, it is but we are praying for some improvement, it's getting really difficult.
And that's great about your laptop. Yes it's nice to have something portable and affordable for sure. We bought my husband and daughter an Amazon Fire (on sale for $35 each, usually $49), and my daughter uses that at school if needed instead of bringing her expensive iPad Mini (she saved up money to buy that herself). So if the Fire were damaged or destroyed its not horrendous for her. And my husband just uses it for news and games (but you can use the google play store on it so google docs etc).
Anyway, isn't it great to have tech??!!!

I'm trying to finish my outline in prep for Nano. If I can't finish the 50,000 words then fine, but it's a nice goal. Anyone else here doing it?
*remembers there is an entire AW forum for Nanowrimo so stops further discussion so there's no confusion*. :gone:

:e2coffee: Happy Monday! *leaves some Starbucks caffeinated coffee for everyone.*

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, friendships!

Is anyone still here? Is this cafe still open for business or conversation or weird people like me? Can I have a caramel latte with mocha sprinkles please?

:hi: Joanna! I pop in on occasion, as do the others. Good to see you. :) I saw your post on the Rudest Critiques and it made me chuckle. Reminded me of a crit I got from an editor long ago about one of my characters... "A Christian would never..." Heh. I wonder how many Christians he actually knows... :tongue

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reminded me of a crit I got from an editor long ago about one of my characters... "A Christian would never..." Heh. I wonder how many Christians he actually knows... :tongue

Lol. Unless that editor was trying to adhere to publications guidelines, which might mean his magazine is publishing for a demographic that is much smaller than he thinks.

And hello, Joanna. I should have some sprinkles for your coffee around here somewhere. I'm not a regular in this forum as my writing isn't Christian as most people would think of it, but I do enjoy the company of like-minded and like-hearted folks.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Pokes head in*

*Leaves a Cinnamon & Pecan Coffee Cake on the counter* :hi:

*Skips out*

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
*pokes head in*

Has anyone seen Lavern? She offered me some cinnamon & pecan coffee cake, and...

*grumbles and leaves, muttering something about coffee

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Since Jesus' birthday celebration is fast approaching, and like most women I'll be busier during the next week than a New Orleans pump, I'd like to pop in and wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
So much has happened since I used to come here to play. ....I was writing a complex novel - Epic Fantasy- and had an agent. Actually had a movie company interested. Got to talk once with Richard Taylor from WETA in New Zealand. My agent was friends with John Howe - Lord of the Rings - and he was going to help with illustrations. .........Got looked at by Harper Collins and other by press. ......But the feedback was - Story Like Tolkien - but. ..........And so I studied George R.R Martin (before he went to HBO) .........And so I began to rewrite the entire novel with Martin's pacing. Added more characters. ...........I sent the first Book back to my agent. She was going to have an editor work with me - but she got married, accepted into Ph.D program at Clemson, was given a full-time teaching Job there. .......And in the fog of waiting for her to find time, .........I prayed and put this whole project on the altar. I've felt called to ministry for many years. This Book had taken up too much of my life - so I just left the Book on the altar and went into ministry. ..........Did Missions in West Africa. My focus has been on helping Orphans and training Pastors there. ...........Instead of pursuing the Epic Fantasy I began writing on End Time Prophecy. When I was 17 I had a visitation by God. He showed me the future of the United States. ..........But I told God I need to see these things in the Bible. There are too many people claiming to have a spiritual experience, and they're obviously deluded. ........I now have the Bible understanding to explain Bible prophecy without leaning on personal revelations. .......It breaks my heart to the point of constant sadness. But I feel it's my responsibility to now address the End of the Gentile Age - and why God must judge the nations based on our willful ignorance. God commanded the Gentile nations to do certain things to prepare for the Messianic Age, and we're actually fighting against God. (See Psalm 2 and Psalm 83) .........I need prayer. The spiritual battle is crazy. Since I began doing missions, my brother got run over - 1 year in the Hospital and about 20 surgeries. My eldest son had his third heart surgery. My youngest son developed brain cancer that recurred months after the initial surgery. .........In Africa the witchdoctors, voodoo practitioners and general Satan followers all received visits from demons on the very same night - telling them to oppose us. ........We were called in by the regional king, before these people that came to attack. God prevailed. We wound up eventually planting more churches. But everyone involved came under fierce spiritual attacks on every side. ..........I need prayer. My family needs prayer. If you are doing God's work, you are in a spiritual battle as well. Stay strong and courageous. We shall prevail.