The Fellowship Cafe

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Hey! I'm for the haggis!

If I hadn't been buried up to my neck ("fight fair, Christian!") in the Revision Pit, I'd have sneaked in with real ale, manchet bread, and some double Gloucester cheese.

Sorry to give this update on the ACFW, but 'tis true: all elected officers at the national level are being abolished in favor of this paid staff. The membership may or may not still get to vote for our local Chapter officers, but the leadership Politburo is currently silent on this issue. I went back and read the bylaws: interestingly, they mandate an elected Operating Board -- which is being done away with.

All this, and none of it in daylight. Methinks my time and service with the ACFW is nearing its end. I'm sad about it, because I thought I'd finally found a place to belong.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Because ACFW never took me off their announcements list, I still get to eavesdrop. ;)

They sent out an update email yesterday, apparently in response to much member grumbling. At least that's how I interpreted the opening paragraph.

I'm a cynical broad. But I think perhaps even the non-cynical would characterize that email as: "This is the way it is. You don't like it? Too bad. If you play nice then maybe you'll get to volunteer to be a minor, local board member. Those who play nice will get to suggest things, and we promise we'll listen to you. Really. We're not lying. Otherwise, let your betters tell you what's good for ACFW, and do what we say."

Ouch.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
That's exactly the way I read it, Calla.

I'm just amazed by the lack of discussion on the ACFW main loop, but I suppose I shouldn't be. The last time something even mildly controversial came up, the list Gestapo closed the topic so fast we got our fingers pinched in the door.

Plenty of healthy discussion on the subsidiary loops, one of which I serve as "owner", and I'm making every effort to keep the discussion free, honest, and open. I believe it's our duty, if not our right, to question everything leadership does, even if they don't think they're accountable.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Deb, that attitude on the main loop was my first inclination that ACFW/CBA publishing was not right for me. The censorship is breathtaking on that loop. <--not in a good way.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*not planting webcams in the lounge, really, honest*

I'm outta here again, gang. Got a signing tonight and a solo reading and signing tomorrow through Sisters in Crime. Both in Albany (a 5-hour drive).

All y'all will be on your very best behavior again, right?

Right?

*crickets*

*crickets*

*crickets*

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this place is full of crickets. When I first read your post, I kept reading SINGING, not SIGNING. Big difference, right?

Good luck on the signing and any singing you may be doing along the way.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...No Ex-Lax in the chocolate-chip cookies? :tongue

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Burrows deeper under comforter*

Thanks, Miz Lily! :)

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I'll liven things up ;)

I have a YA/Christian book out. It's not the most 'active' market, though I do know there is a need/people who want to read clean/Christian/YA ficition (that's a lot of forward slashes lol).

Anyway, it's gotten great reviews, but I'd like to introduce it more in the Christian market. Any particular websites you know of that promotes/reviews/whatever Christian fiction?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oi. Stay safe, any peeps in the direct path of Hurricane Sandy.

Up here in Bflo, we're just getting sideswiped. Rain plus 45-60 MPH winds. So if I disappear, it's because the power went out and our generator only handles the sump pump, fridge, and furnace.

I'll. Be. Bahk.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I echo that first sentence, lily, and hope that you stay safe as well. In the Midwest we're just expected to get high winds the next couple days, but nowhere near what is happening to the east coast. We lived in Maryland in 2003 when Isabella hit, and I hear this is supposed to be much worse. I'll be praying like crazy for all the people out there.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Thanks!

I found out yesterday my Christmas novella was released already--a month early! Nice to have good news for a change.

how is everyone doing? Anyone doing NaNoWriMo?

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
No NaNo for me. I've been working on enough projects and am finally getting back into a groove.

And Happy Thanksgiving (one week away!) to everyone. :)

ETA: I'm looking for a beta for SHARDS OF GLASS. If anyone's interested, please let me know.

Last edited: