The Fellowship Cafe

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Yes, we're evil...

John, at the infamous Nashville book signing, the one you so fortuitously missed, it was so dead in the Davis-Kidd store that I started chatting up people, saying, "So...what do you read?" and getting them into conversation that way. I mean it. It was that slow. A certain Person had not done any advance publicity for the event, so I suppose that was expectable. However, "What do you read?" is my version of Calla's squirrel monkey/nun doll.

I've found if you get people started talking about themselves, not about your book, you grab their attention much, much more effectively and for a longer period than if you try to discuss your book. Besides, don't we all wanna talk about what we like?

:evil

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
A moment of silence, please...

The Agent says I need to trunk my dystopian Redeemers, period. Very Christian + extreme gore = no market. He know's what's selling and I trust his judgment.

*bows head, lights candle, weeps quietly*

Thus I have an additional life goal: One day to be wealthy and famous enough to bring the books out in limited-edition gore-fests, like they do with HPLovecraft's books.

Or manga. They'd be great manga.

The funny thing? I once thought I had only one book in me. The Redeemers.

:ROFL:

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
callalily - I would hate to hear that I couldn't write what I really wanted to write, but that is the business. I say you should still write it, even if the agent doesn't want to represent it. Of course, you would also have to write what the agent wants, but you could keep writing what you want. Then if no one else wants it, and you want to see if it would sell, go the self-pub route.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
David, I really want to write, mystery, and dystopian YA and creepy litfic... and I am or have written all of them. I am a proud publication whore and happily write what will get my name on the shelf.

That being said, the Redeemers were the villains in my first-ever finished book, and I love them. They are convinced that they're doing God's Will and have no real idea what horrors they're perpetrating. Well, except for one poor guy who's not having much luck bucking the system.

I can also understand exactly why they're not marketable, and I reconciled myself to that a few years ago. I don't have 1/100th of the time that successful self-pubbing requires, so in the trunk they will stay until I'm a Name with a Name's following. In the meantime, I'll keep working on them in my downtime, because I love them all.

Thanks. :)

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I understand. I'm on my third novel now. The first was fantasy. The second was Christian. The third is apocalyptical. If and when I ever get published, I fear that I will be told to only write the genre of the one that has been published. I do have ideas in each of those categories, but at the same time I want to keep writing what is interesting to me at the time, no matter the genre.

As you said, you have to establish yourself in the Stephen King atmosphere to be able to write what you want whenever you want. I hope to get there some day, but I can't say that I'm optimistic.

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh calla, that's so disappointing. I would have to give in to many tears if I were told such a thing. I'd move on of course because I would have to. But still.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I mourned the books a couple years ago, when I took a long look at them and realized they'd need a massive overhaul to be print-worthy. They were always a longshot, honestly. Dystopian religious horror where the revived church is run by sadistic torture-killers who are convinced they're doing God's Work? Sort of like an underground Inquisition, but with spies and no trials. You are found with certain pieces of an ancient book? You get jailed for 3 days and then crucified. Period. One of the 2 books has the first rescuee, the other has a young Redeemer (the church gang) trying to buck the system, which isn't going well. They have manga-style levels of violence and gore.

When one day I try to do something with them, I'm seriously considering manga. I'd need an artist, since the only things I can draw are trees and grass and cattails. :tongue I love manga. I read it constantly.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Like you, I've been told repeatedly that what I want to write won't sell. Mine aren't dystopian or bloody by any means, but they always seem to have a theme or subtheme or character that makes mainstream Christian publishing throw up its hands in horror.

We'll see how that goes. In the fullness of time, I may rebel and take these "nobody wants them" stories direct-to-reader. Haven't made up my mind yet. But it does make your heart heavy when your agent -- the person you hope will be most enthused about your stories and the way you tell them -- tells you he won't handle stories you wrote.

Hugs, Calla -- and who stole your Avatar?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
There's an avatar thief loose on the boards today, Deb. Beware!

Srsly: I'm sad that there isn't a place at the moment for my Redeemers, but they'll keep. My agent's passed on a couple of ideas of mine, one of which I am dying to write. But he's said, "Write that one NOW!" to two others. I have confidence in his knowledge of what is selling right now, which is why I'm willing to take his trunking advice.

Also, he is the most enthusiastic person about my writing. He loves my style and I love his confidence-boosting. Even when he tells me what he thinks needs to be fixed, he's great about it.

Someday I'll learn how to write manga and find an artist to fit these books. I like out-of-my-box goals. :)

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Such sad posts lately! :( I'm on an apocalyptical trend too, with a new novel I'm writing--not Christian. But it has zombies, and romance--not romance with a zombie. ;)

I'm waiting to get a few novels published before I go direct to reader with a story or two I have written. Need to get some traction...

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Callalily,

It's encouraging to read you agent is such a champion of your work, and that he guides you. I've read a thread recently that one author can't get her agent to reply to an email in under two weeks!

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone has time this weekend to relax and enjoy Easter. I will hopefully get to relax...after completing another round of submissions. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
We're celebrating my dad's 69th birthday on Easter--it's not till the 20th, but my guys are refereeing soccer every Sunday for awhile. My mom's bringing lasagna, so I just have to bake the cake and make salad.

Part of me wishes for a Good Friday where I could indulge in scenery-chewing Life of Christ movies and perhaps pop into the little church across the street for a bit (they have all-day devotionals). However, I'll be at work.

Back in my convent days, Good Friday was a fast day, and everything was shut down. We were expected to meditate or pray or read the Bible or other devotionals. The most we could do was sewing. An endurance test. :rolleyes:

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Happy birthday to your dad. A friend of mine is celebrating Easter by turning 30. And like me, that doesn't bother her one bit. We're having girls night tomorrow for an early celebration.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Pssshhh. You're all a bunch 'a yoots (cf. My Cousin Vinnie).

I turn sixty next month, but feel like I'm thirty, and frequently act like I'm ten (a good booger joke can keep me grinning all day). :D

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's interesting you all have been talking about 'what fits in a Christian market' because I came here to ask a similar question.

I found a story I started working on about a year ago. I love parts of the story and would love to write it further. I'm concentrating on YA/Christian genre.

I had a question all ready, but now I think I've talked myself into writing it lol