The Fellowship Cafe

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Released today and doing fine. Eating and everything else. Outlook looks good. We're still going to make the trip to Disney on Saturday, and we'll just see how it goes. He really wants to go.

Thanks for the prayers!

ElizaFaith13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlgamersunite.blogspot.com
I used to listen to his radio show for the amusement factor, till I realized he was spewing pure poison. :mad: He's been telling people for years to leave their churches (because of his 1994 non-Rapture backpedaling) and that if you belong to a church when his Rapture happens, you'll be eternally damned. Then he had the gall to say that Jews don't understand the Torah and Christians don't understand the NT, and unless both groups learned better, they'd all go to Hell. Um, yeah. Right. That was the day I switched his radio station off permanently.

God's got a special place picked out for that guy ; )

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Firey pitchforks an all - hi every one, just popping in, seeing if anyone is around. :D

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Since you were all kind enough to add us to your prayers, I thought I'd give an update. We returned from DWorld last night, after 15-1/2 hours of driving. I just cannot figure out how to make Georgia and Atlanta work. Driving down, we got caught in Atlanta for two hours. Tried to go around on the way back, and it took even longer. Ugh!

My son did well. He did not get to do any coasters, but his marching band is going to Disney in December, so he'll be able to do them then. He did do some rides, and he got to spend time with his cousins, so it worked out well. We did the wheelchair for most of the trip, but gave it up on Thursday, and he did fine. There are no signs of infection, and everything looks to be healing fine. He has his follow up appointment tomorrow.

Again, thank you for the prayers. Glad to be home, and hoping that no more kids get appendicitis. It would be nice if someone built an expressway that went directly over Atlanta, if it wouldn't be too much to ask. I mean I was stuck in a parking lot. Got off and got stuck in another parking lot. Finally found the highway around the city, and that was a parking lot. I'm not a fan of Atlanta.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
David, glad you're home safely and that the kid is recovered and doing well.

I mean, considering that you traveled to the antecircle of Hell for vacation and all. :D (Not a Disney fan, can you tell?) I've heard that Atlanta traffic is a constant nightmare. Much sympathy.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
We love Disney. We go every three years. The kids really enjoy it, and I'm glad to take them there. It would be nice if I could afford to fly us all there and avoid the driving.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there.. I joined the boards maybe 10 days ago now and just came across this section of the forum. Wanted to say hi and hope you're all well :)

(Callalily, I can't stand Disney either :D)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Hey, Flur! Welcome. You'll find this group an eclectic, sometimes slappy, and knowledgeable lot.

If you have questions, just fling 'em out there. My guess is someone will know the answer. If we don't, we'll offer outrageous guesses.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome :)

Deb - I do actually have a question. I posted it elsewhere but last I checked it'd only received one response, so I'll give it a shot here and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm Christian myself, have an idea and am working on development for what I think would fall into the category of Christian YA, but I'm not exactly sure what constitutes it being a Christian novel. The main character is thrust into an environment where many things occur that Christian parents might find unacceptable for their children to be reading. Nothing graphic, but MC takes part in practices that most would consider un-Christian and which go against Biblical teaching. The MC is Christian and feels uneasy with her role in some things, struggles with her beliefs vs her environment, and eventually chooses to escape her surroundings.

Does this sound like it would fall into the Christian YA category? The MC is 15, and aside from struggling with faith (and ultimately choosing to leave to follow it).. is also dealing with more typical teenage dilemmas (relationship, friend, family, etc.)

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
My suggestion to you would be write it first and then when it's finished, figure out where it belongs. It definitely sounds YA, but in terms of whether or not it's Christian YA, that I can't tell you. I'm writing a book right now that may be considered Christian YA when it's finished, but a lot of the other Christian YA that I've read is very different in terms of usually the things that the kids do bad or have happen to them are pretty minor thing (and for some reason a lot of them are mysteries? I dunno, maybe those are just the ones I was reading lol). So I would say write it first and then see.

My 2 cents.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'm taking my stand with Lissy. I never figure out what market my stuff belongs in, till after I write The End. I know others work differently, but this is what works for me.

Suggest you google agents who handle Christian YA, see who some of the authors are whom they represent, and read a book or two by one of these. Then you might get a better idea of what's considered okay for Christian YA and what's out of boundaries.

I'm sorry I can't be better help than this. My household YA reads very little C-fic and the fiction she does read tends to be aimed primarily at adults. But reading in your target market is recommended to us all.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
misslissy and Deb, thanks for the suggestions. Since I need to form a better understanding of the overall YA market anyway, I'll start with some Christian YA and go from there. :)

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
Right now all my writing has been shoved aside for general biology - one of two summer courses. Since it's a summer course it's way condensed and hasn't left me for much extra time to do anything. BLAH. We are moving at a rate of like 1 exam a week.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I've been slacking off lately. I need to get back on track. I did write a couple hundred words over the weekend, but need to get back to it. If I can just finish sharpening up these scenes, I could work on finalizing the first draft, then sending it out to betas. I need motivation.

Flur

Registered
Reaction score
Still playing around with an idea for a YA novel. I can't sort out a solid plot but know there's one to be found in there somewhere. Also working on an idea for a PB manuscript. Plot is right, words are lacking. :\

Wordcaster

Straw that broke the camel's back
Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking around this corner of the cooler for a while, but it doesn't seem as active as a lot of other areas. Are there other lurkers as well?