Krampus and St. Nicholas

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254044454647484950
Results 1,226 to 1,228 of 1228

Thread: The Fellowship Cafe

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    Vicky, I echo all of the thoughts and perspectives expressed here. I would add that most readers are able to distinguish a writer from her characters and her stories. If not, we would all have to work for churches or be ministers for fear that we'd be seen as unfaithful!

Although I don't write in the Christian genre (except for trying my hand at a praiseful poem now and then), I do pray that my writing, even the nasty scenes, supports God's will, and says what he wants it to. I try to be uplifting even though that doesn't always mean a happy ending. Or a flawless hero.
    2018 is Coming! Will you be up the challenge? The 2018 AW Reading Challenge, that is! Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year. To see what we've done this year, pop over to the 2017 AW Reading Challenge thread.

practical experience, FTW vicky271's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie in PA View Post
    If it helps any, the Christian market is a man-made marketing construct, nothing more, nothing less. That market doesn't speak for God, it speaks for the readers they sell books to. I did a quick google search for "Christian authors writing secular books" and got a TON of articles - I read a bunch on the first page that were really good.

I think the key is simpler than we make it - if we write in a way that doesn't distance us from God, it's fine. And that looks different for every writer, just like alcohol -- drinking can be a sin for someone who can't handle it, but it can be perfectly okay for someone who enjoys a glass of wine now and again.

You can absolutely write secular books that don't offend your convictions and beliefs without conforming to the specific market.

Your gift, your talent, your work - that's all between you and God.

HUGS! It's not an easy dilemma!!
    That does help. I constantly remind myself that man is not in control. God makes the rules. And he owns everything. I went to the bookstore today, and i'd forgotten how ridiculously happy i am when i'm in one. Like, i swear I walked around for twenty minutes smiling like a idiot thinking, "YESSSS!" I gave that up because I thought reading books was sinful (please don't ask me why I thought that~).

You are very right. And testing everything against God helps! He will tell us what we can and can't write/do

Thanks you!!!
    Current Work of Fiction
    Something with no title.

Current Book Obsession
    None worth mentioning.

Currently Reading
    None worth mentioning.

Next Book...
    ------------

Blog

The Writer's Shelf: https://thewritersshelf.wordpress.co...ity-mindspace/

practical experience, FTW vicky271's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
    Vicky, I echo all of the thoughts and perspectives expressed here. I would add that most readers are able to distinguish a writer from her characters and her stories. If not, we would all have to work for churches or be ministers for fear that we'd be seen as unfaithful!

Although I don't write in the Christian genre (except for trying my hand at a praiseful poem now and then), I do pray that my writing, even the nasty scenes, supports God's will, and says what he wants it to. I try to be uplifting even though that doesn't always mean a happy ending. Or a flawless hero.
    Yes! Thank you
    Current Work of Fiction
    Something with no title.

Current Book Obsession
    None worth mentioning.

Currently Reading
    None worth mentioning.

Next Book...
    ------------

Blog

The Writer's Shelf: https://thewritersshelf.wordpress.co...ity-mindspace/

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254044454647484950