Frustrated

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else here write for newspapers?

How do you handle trying to call school principals on the phone? (or teachers, school people in general)

Whenever I try to call a principal or school official for my job, I always get the "gatekeepers" or secretaries. They always say they'll take a message and have the person get back to me. But then I have to wait for them to call back! I can't sit by the phone all day. (I'm a freelancer; I'm not always at my desk.)

What is the right way to handle this?

Thanks for any ideas.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, just to clarify, even if you're not a reporter, I just want to know what is the best thing to say to a secretary to make sure the principal calls me back?

Should I put a time limit on it? Should I ask what is the best time to reach the person?

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
In my experience with school administrators, literally sitting in the office is the quickest way to get heard. I know, it's not always possible, but at times it's actually the best use of your time because it will take less time than playing phone tag for weeks...

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience with school administrators, literally sitting in the office is the quickest way to get heard. I know, it's not always possible, but at times it's actually the best use of your time because it will take less time than playing phone tag for weeks...

Yeah, I had thought of just showing up at his door.

Do you have a cell phone? If so, you could give out that number so they could reach you even when you're away from the office.

I did give the secretary my cell number. But even so, I can't always answer it. If I'm standing in line at the grocery store and he calls me, sure I could talk, but I can't very well interview him. I need to be sitting down with my notes.

So, as it turned out today, he never called me back or replied to my emails. I'll never do it that way again. The next time I'm told the person isn't there I will just keep calling back until I reach them.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The best method might be to find out when the interviewee leaves work, then accost approach him or her as they leave work for the day.

Camp out by their car, if you have to.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
As a gatekeeper (lol) I would say the best way to get them to talk is to just keep ringing back until you've annoyed the hell out of them. Eventually they'll force the person refusing the calls to get rid of you, rather than being forced to screen them on their behalf.

In person is good too. Receptionists don't like people hanging about in foyers. You look messy and make it look like we have things that haven't been done. We try to chivvy you off as soon as may be. :D