Can the writing process be assisted by drug use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I get what Kevin's saying. I drink regardless of whether I'm writing. If the mood moves me to write at the same time, I do. I don't sit back and go, gosh this scene's tough, maybe I'll go sniff some glue. I can definitely see how this could hinder rather than help the creative process. However, if OP wants to try out it out once (maybe he smokes anyway; he didn't say) I don't think that'd be the end of his creativity for ever more.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
My creative writing has always been a struggle. And I am by nature an uptight person.

... you might just try writing a lot on a regular basis. Just sit down for an hour or two a day and write whatever comes to mind and just let yourself go or if you want, introduce a bit of structure by writing on a set subject, e.g. baseball. In time, that may help you be less uptight on the page.

Yours is a common hurdle many writers face, and manage to overcome by similar exercises: NaNo being the grandaddy of them all. Good luck and think long and hard before undertaking anything radical.

And for the record I don't have any books published, myself, and most likely never will at this rate, which is something to bear in mind when accessing my advice.

I'm just another wannabe trying to sound wise ;-)

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I agree with this as perhaps the best solution. A writer friend runs, and his output is prolific. In my case a misshapen right foot prevents me. I'd taken up cycling as an alternative and now an arthritic knee threatens that. I'm running out of options.

Sorry to hear about your foot. Drugs may give the illusion that one is a better writer, or that one has self confidence, but that's all it is--an illusion. Drugs, especially illegal drugs, have adverse effects. That's why they are illegal.

With that said, have you tried just setting a schedule and sitting down to write? Have a cup of tea or coffee beside you will you write? :)

My guess is your are not seeing the other options.

Last edited:

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
My most creative writing was done after getting my gallbladder out when I was taking Vicodin. I don't remember writing one word of it, but my beta readers loved it. Now if I could just find spare organs to have removed on a regular basis...

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Ooh look, closed thread, I've judged you all!

Question asked and answered, no use letting it run on....

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.