Do you read video game books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
for example, the novels based on world of warcraft and halo. are they any good? favs?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I read Halo: The Fall of Reach, which is the story of how the Master Chief was recruited and trained, and the events that lead up to the original Halo game.

I was pleasantly surprised. It was on a par with the Star Trek or Star Wars novels I've read... a nice 2-day read.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
The Metal Gear Solid novelization wasn't bad. In manga, the Suikoden III series is AWESOME. In Fanfiction, I'd recommend Peptuck's The Gunblade Saga, based on Final Fantasy VIII.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I've read all the Resident Evil book adaptations. Some parts I really liked, some parts... not so much. But they're great and easy reads when I want more of my fave characters and not able to play the games.

Agreeing with Kaiser-Kun regarding the Suikoden III manga, too. Haven't read all of it, but LOVE all the Caesar and Albert extra characterization we get to see, and the art is pretty.

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i saw that the halo books are written by a halo writer, and it swayed me. Like the story would be more authentic.... but then there was a WoW book written about dragons and it just looked like an awesome dragon adventure book I'd want to read even if there wasn't any WoW involved.

defyalllogic

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i got bored on amazon and made a list of the ones i found:

@Log: Day of the dragon (the cover art with the kind of sloppy-looking hero really pulled me in)

Paladin

What? Nothing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to check out media fiction from an author I like (either because I like their work or because I know them as a person), but I won't just jump into a media tie-in book blind. I need something else (like knowing the author) as a hook to get me into it. I've just been burned by too many random fiction purchases in my youth, I guess. :)

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard the Mass Effect books are good. I believe all of them were written by the original writer of Mass Effect (Drew Karpyshyn).

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
The Hellgate London novels are excellent to read. I don't normally enjoy reading these sort of books, but Hellgate was just amazing and a tad bit gorey.
I've been meaning to get around to reading the Mass Effect and Starcraft series. I hope they're as good as some people say they are.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
I've been tempted by the Mass Effect books.

I'll probebly cave in and get them once I've got more reading time.

Anyway, I read one of the Halo books, forgot which one and found it to be pretty good actually :)

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I read all of the Wing Commander books and I quite enjoyed them. I can't remember if I have read any other tie ins, but those were good.

VileZero

This is not for you
Registered
Reaction score
Video game books have been exponentially increasing in quality, thank goodness!

The Gears of War books, written by Karen Traviss, are fantastic. Not only do they bridge the gaps between the games, they're also flat out some of the best books I've read in recent years. You'd think that there would be no room for novels in a series so fueled by testosterone and lack of real story, but you'd be wrong. Traviss also wrote the script for the third game, and her original character from the books (Bernie) is set to appear in the game.

Dead Space: Extraction is written by B.K. Everson, an up-and-coming horror writer. I'd recommend the book to any who have played the games, but newcomers would probably be lost and a little off-put by it. It definitely embraces what made Dead Space so great, though. It's a spooky read, with some great insight into mysteries proposed by the games. I hope there's more down the pipeline!

I have all the Halo books, and I hope to get them started next month. I was beyond excited when I found out that Greg Bear was writing a trilogy (the first one, Halo: Cryptum just came out). Bear is like... a sci-fi legend! Halo really seems to be on top of its game, in terms of telling its story through books, comics and anime. I really hope the books impress!

triptych

it just so happens that I know a short cut
Registered
Reaction score
This really isn't a video game "tie in" book, but I still highly recommend it for game-inclined folks: "Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter" by Tom Bissell

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
I read the Myst books, and enjoyed them. They aren't without their flaws, but the characters are good, and the universe is extremely original, and a fun one to knock around in for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.