Status
Not open for further replies.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
If anyone knows Toothpaste, please direct her here, or if you happen to see this thread, know that I'm sorry for being so ungrateful to you.

I know, I know, same song, last verse. But as much as I didn't want my anger and frustration to get out of hand again, it did, and I have no more excuses for it. It was wrong, mean, and inexcusably cruel.

You and countless others have been kind enough to hear me out, try to answer my questions, and give my work honest critique, and I disrespected all that with the way I've been acting. It was wrong, and I need to learn to be a better listener.

I know I hurt and frustrated many others too, but I'd be here all night and I want to keep this brief, I know, that's a rarity of mine.;):)

I now realize it was true what you, Chaostitian and so many said about me was true, I often went into threads and posts angry, or frustrated, or acted like I didn't want any help, but used my threads as tools to fuel my doubts rather than my true intention of learning more about my craft.

That said, it's hard to hear the same advice over and over, like you'd done nothing different, when you know you nearly fried your brain trying to improve what could be improved.

I know everyone tells me it's okay to not agree with all advice, and to ignore what you like, but when all you get told is the advice you don't agree with, you finally try it and it doesn't work, or you still get the same kinds of advice four months later like you'd done nothing, or get told the exact opposite, it gets hard to know who's really right, even if no one's lying to you.

Maybe I just haven't grown up like I thought I had, and I don't mean that in a jerky self-pitying way, I'm being as honest and sincere as possible, I truly am.

For others who I've hurt or just pissed off because of my lack of tact and patience, I'm sorry.

All the best,

C.J. Rockwell

P.S. Quicklime, as hard as this is for me to admit, you were probably right about me. I was too narrow-minded selfish. I was also to chicken too write anything that wasn't my strength, or because when I really did give it my best shot, it was just a boring read or it simply didn't interest me in the end.

I've thought long and hard about everything you've told me, but I still believe that I have to like what I'm writing, or it'll just be fake. But I realize I'll have a more fun time of it if I just took more chances and were more flexible with my ideas.

But still, just because what you and others have told me was hard to hear, doesn't mean I wasn't listening, and just because I listened to your advice, and tried harder than you'll ever know to give your advice a chance, that doesn't mean it was always right, or that I could execute it perfectly.

One thing I know I've learned since first coming here is often the comments I hate the most are the sadly the most true. Maybe the reason you and others have rubbed me the wrong way is because I'm jealous, of how mature you are.

I tihnk about someone who told me I'm acting like a kid, and they're proabably right, there are days when I feel like I'll always be 12 years old, and those here who know me best know that was so not a good year for me on many levels.

On the other hands, there are many folks half my age or younger who are more mature than I ever was, and in some cases could ever hope to be.

But one thing will always be constant, I won't ever give up, and even if it takes the next seven years or more, I'll do everything in my power to make up for my heartless behavior from this day forward.

Even if that means just resisting the urge to snipe to start with.

I promised myself I wouldn't come back here and post again until I could make that commitment to myself, or I'll just be lying to myself and end up causing another blow up.

I want those days to be behind me now, okay?

I hope beyond hope I'm expressing myself clearly and honestly, because I am. But I know it's hard to tell with no body language and all, as someone recently told me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
That there's some mea maxima culpa. With the emphasis on maxima. ;)

I can't remember you pissing me off, which probably means you haven't -- I have a Klingon's memory for offense. And I used to be a perpetual twelve-year-old myself, but through hard labor I have managed to become a perpetual fifteen-year-old.

So, keep up the good intentions and the good fight!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
CJ,

its hard to apologize. I know.

Best of luck to you, and the suggestion to write outside your genre was less to make you write thrillers you hate in a drive to try publishing than to push you out of your comfort zone...try writing a few other stories, either shorts or partials, and see if the forced change helps with your other work after a few weeks. Not long, just long enough to give it a real, honest shot, and see what, if anything, you pick up from it. And read a few things from outside your intended area, just to broaden your concept of pacing, character development, etc. Ideally, read a few really bad things. :p

'Quick

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you've ever pissed me off either. The best advice I've heard, if you're tempted to write something snarky and snipe at others, is to write the post in Notepad or Word and save it for several hours while you go off and do something else. When you come back to it, if you still feel the same way, go ahead and post. Most likely, you'll have gained enough perspective (you have to actually leave your computer in the interim for this to work) that you'll delete the post and move on. No one will see what you wrote.

I respect anyone who's big enough to apologize with the sincerity that comes across in your post. Best of luck to you.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sigh.

CJ, I've never been angry with you. Never. If I had been I wouldn't have spent over a year or so responding to your threads over and over trying to help you. You don't need to offer any kind of public apology like this, at least not to me. It's a grand gesture to be sure, and I will accept your apology since it was kind of you to offer it, but I'm not looking for anything like that.

What I am looking for is for you to stop being so hard on yourself. I am looking for you to take a moment, step back, take a deep breath and relax. It's hard for you, I know, to deal with the concept that what you have written isn't what people want to buy. But right now, you will not be able to solve that problem trying to take our superficial advice on how to write. And the reason I know this, is that your fundamental belief system is holding you back on your storytelling. In my mind you haven't fried your brain trying our advice, you have tried our advice without truly understanding the foundation of said advice, and are therefore putting a bandaid on a deep problem.

Which is . . .

You don't believe people can be good and have flaws. That is a big hurdle for you to overcome both as a person and an author. And that I can't help you with. The only thing I can say to that is that I hope you think I'm a relatively good person, and let me tell you, I have tons of flaws :) . See? I'm proof.

And here's the most painful thing I think I can say to you, and I am so sorry to say it because I don't want to cause you pain, especially not in a thread where you are seeking forgiveness. Please believe me that I am only saying it because I truly truly want to help you.

You say
it's hard to hear the same advice over and over, like you'd done nothing different, when you know you nearly fried your brain trying to improve what could be improved.

I know everyone tells me it's okay to not agree with all advice, and to ignore what you like, but when all you get told is the advice you don't agree with, you finally try it and it doesn't work, or you still get the same kinds of advice four months later like you'd done nothing, or get told the exact opposite, it gets hard to know who's really right, even if no one's lying to you.

Hon. The reason it isn't working is because you aren't taking advice in the right way. You are reading the individual suggestions which, yes, can contradict each other, without understanding the spirit of them. And I really don't think you'll ever appreciate the spirit of them until you start to realise that you are actually wrong. That your outlook on life is holding you back, that your writing isn't working for you, and that you need a fundamental change in your approach to writing.

And right now, you simply don't believe that.

You believe that what you write doesn't work in this evil world. That no one wants the stories you have to tell and that everyone is out against you. All the world wants is stories that are dark and gloomy and that goodness and light is frowned on. So yes, you'll take our advice, but you will do something superficial and against your will, point to how it doesn't work, and then try something else etc. You cannot effect change unless you truly acknowledge you have to change.

I have explained to you more times than I can remember that you are wrong. That the world is a good place, and that you have a perfect example of it in the threads you start: total strangers trying to help someone out. What's more "good" than that?

I have also tried to explain to you that visiting the dark places doesn't mean you can never come back to the light. And that you are strong enough to face some of the more painful experiences you've had knowing that you are in a much better place. You don't have to write a painful story, but you need to understand that hope exists in the dark, and that that moral itself is so important for kids to read about. That when a children's author writes about darkness, it isn't to make kids feel bad, but to show them that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, that they are strong enough to make it through to the other side. It's one of the most inspirational things an author can write about.

But until you truly change your outlook on the world (a MASSIVE undertaking, to be sure), you will continue to feel frustrated as a writer. I'm not saying you have to change everything in one moment, but you need to start on the path, one small step at a time. And I don't believe you have yet. Even in this apology you explain that you shouldn't get mad at us but it can be so frustrating taking advice you don't like and things not working out. That's not a change in attitude, that's indulging your current belief system.

So.

There you go.

Not nice to hear, especially not in a thread about apologising, but honestly, C. J., I don't need an apology. I don't think you're a bad person nor that you have treated me badly. You are frustrated. You are scared. You are angry. And when we feel these things we can lash out at others. I understand. What I want from you so much more is for you to understand that it's okay to change, that it's okay to take a risk, a REAL risk, and believe in goodness (and a goodness that exists in the real world, not a sugary sweet goodness in a make believe place - difficult goodness that is combined with flaws, and negative feelings). And it's not the end of the world to realise that the way you've been working hasn't been working for you. That yes, you've been banging your head against the wall for years, and you know what, it's time to stop doing that. You haven't wasted time in doing it. You've learned things in the process. The only way the time would be wasted is if you didn't take advantage of the things you learned and truly opened your heart to them. You need to do that. And no one else can do it for you.

Thank you for the apology. It was lovely of you, though unnecessary. But this isn't about me. It's about you. And you can do anything you put your mind to, so long as you sincerely put your mind to it. No "fine, their suggestions suck, but whatever, I'll do them anyway".

Okay?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CJ, thank you for the public apology. Since both Toothpaste and Quicklime have had a chance to read and respond, I'm locking this. It's a fresh start for everyone. Welcome back to AW.

Status
Not open for further replies.