Microsoft word 2007 settings

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Help, please. I've been at this for several months now and want to save my hair.

Is there any way to change the default on Microsoft word 2007 from add space after every paragraph, add space before every paragraph, 12.pt before lines, 12 pt after lines? Changing the settings and clicking default produces a question box - do you really want to do this? I click yes, and it doesn't do it.

I really want to make the settings the default for all documents, but if I could just get them to stay that way for one entire manuscript at a time, I would be happy.

At this point I just want to know if this is possible or if I'm suffering from a delusion/trick created by the default set being there to click on at will?

I have gotten it to stay on double spaced which is something.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Create a new document with the setting you want to use. Save it as Writing Template 1 or whatever. Then when you start a new document, open this template and save as the new document you are working on and go from there...

This way you do not have to screw around with the MS default settings each and every time.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if you're modifying the "Normal" style there's a checkbox in the lower left of the style modify box which allows you to turn this off.

Here's an answer I prepared earlier...

To modify the style, right-click on the Normal style in the style selection boxes on the Home tab, and select modify. [Presuming it is the normal style you're having issues with, which you probably are.]

Change the option down the bottom from "Only in this document" to "New documents based on this template" and then click the format menu button and select paragraph.

Remove the space after from the style and click okay.

Close Word. It will automatically save changes to the style.

You should now have your documents defaulting to no space after, regardless of whether that box is checked.

While you're at it, you might want to set your other style standards for Normal, such as font, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Create a new document with the setting you want to use. Save it as Writing Template 1 or whatever. Then when you start a new document, open this template and save as the new document you are working on and go from there...

This way you do not have to screw around with the MS default settings each and every time.

I haven't thought of that! Templates! Yes!! The thing is, if I want my lines to be single-spaced just while I am writing thus I hate writing in double-space, and I format it that way on sub time, (double space) with all the paragraphs indented on the first line, and my chapter headings to be bigger than the body of the chapter itself, written in a different font, how do I set it up?

Example: Chapter heading written in 'Monotype Corsiva' size 18
Body of Chapter: Palatino Linotype size 12
All paragraphs indented in the first line
Document single space.

Thanks!
M.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
I solved my problems with Word 2007 by scrapping it and changing to Atlantis. Seems to be written with writers in mind. It's inexpensive, and great to use. Doesn't do tables, but I can live with that.

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
Question before I start babbling incoherently:

HOW DOES ONE USE THE CLIPBOARD???

My manuscript is a Word doc, and when I pull it up, the cut, copy and paste sections are greyed out.

:rant:

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
It's fairly rare for cut, copy and past to be disabled (I think I've only seen that if the entire document is not in the active window). Are you able to select text? If so, try Ctrl-C to copy, Ctrl-X to cut, and Ctrl-V to paste.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
You first have to highlight some text before those buttons can activate. If you have nothing to copy or cut, the buttons are useless.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
In MS Word, click the Office (File) Button located at the upper left corner of the screen. Click the "Word Options" button at the lower right. Clicke the "Resources" button in the list on the left. Click the "About" button. The last one on the list of options.

The product ID will display.