Schadenfreude [The Cooks Source Debacle Peanut Gallery]

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Just saw this story an hour or two ago. It sort of boggles my mind that anyone with that much alleged experience could be that willfully ignorant.

Also, John Scalzi's take on the situation, and that of a friend of the original author's, Nick are pretty interesting.

I particularly enjoyed the part where the editor talked about how much in need of editing the piece was, and how the author should have payed (!!!) her for editing it. Except apparently all those "typos" were obsolete spellings preserved in the original article because it was talking about historical recipes. :D

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
The FB flashmob makes me pretty uncomfortable, actually. What Ms. Griggs did was illegal, unethical, and wrong (IMO - IANAL) -- but people leaving comments like "I hope you choke on a dick" certainly are neither helpful or instructive on any level.

Reaction score
The FB flashmob makes me pretty uncomfortable, actually. What Ms. Griggs did was illegal, unethical, and wrong (IMO - IANAL) -- but people leaving comments like "I hope you choke on a dick" certainly are neither helpful or instructive.
Added to which, she'd probably plagiarise the suggestion and put it in one of her recipes.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
The FB flashmob makes me pretty uncomfortable, actually. What Ms. Griggs did was illegal, unethical, and wrong (IMO - IANAL) -- but people leaving comments like "I hope you choke on a dick" certainly are neither helpful or instructive on any level.

Mobs are never pretty or comfortable. But historically, they tend to be the easiest way to overthrow unscrupulous people who abuse their power. Which isn't to say the editor deserves to be personally attacked. Somehow mobs never stop with attacking a person's behaviors though.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

Yeah, I have to admit, I went from being amazed and amused to being a little sick a couple of hours ago. She stole and was a big huge bitch and plagiarized and is a moron, but she didn't kill a puppy and use its body to choke a baby to death, you know?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu

Very true. There seem to be two types of responses. The (rightfully) angered but well-spoken responses from people in the industry, and the not-quite-on-topic responses from the scandal hounds who are just looking to be abusive.

Added to which, she'd probably plagiarise the suggestion and put it in one of her recipes.

*wince*

That would not be an appetizing dish. Just sayin'.

Mobs are never pretty or comfortable. But historically, they tend to be the easiest way to overthrow unscrupulous people who abuse their power. Which isn't to say the editor deserves to be personally attacked. Somehow mobs never stop with attacking a person's behaviors though.

The behavior (intentional and consistent IP theft) should be attacked. But other things about the perpetrator? (Looks, family, whatever these people are picking on) Not so much. Keep the focus on the ISSUE. That's what the mob should be addressing.

Yeah, I have to admit, I went from being amazed and amused to being a little sick a couple of hours ago. She stole and was a big huge bitch and plagiarized and is a moron, but she didn't kill a puppy and use its body to choke a baby to death, you know?

Unfortunately, the purpose of this coordinated attack (for lack of a better term) is being lost in favor of personal attacks and unrelated insults. But, once you let loose the mob, you can't rein them in and make them say what you want them--or need them--to say. I can't say that I'm too upset by the discomfort of this editor at the moment, but I'm not in favor of ugliness that serves no discernible purpose.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'm glad that the important people were notified, and this person will have some serious thinking to do. The "online witch hunt" will die down after a little while.

It does warm my heart, though, that if there is wrong doing, that people will share their displeasure, even if it's not so eloquently put.

I agree that the "mob" idea fits though. Gets you a little nervous. It was looking a little 4 Chan-ish for a while.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
The personal attacks are uncalled for.

The professional attacks are beautiful.

IMO, anyway.

Reaction score
A prime example of copyright misconceptions that can make you look foolish

Just in case some of you have not heard, a very interesting and amusing incident took place this week involving plagiarism of online content. Here is the short version: a renaissance enthusiast posted her recipes for authentic apple pies of the period to a web site that specializes in that sort of thing. Her recipes included introductions, colorfully written in Early Modern English. Later on, she found out that her entire recipes, word-for-word, had been copied into Cook Source magazine.

She contacted the magazine's editor and requested that $130 be paid to her alma matter, the Columbia School of Journalism; this was a goodwill gesture, requesting payment that would amount to $0.10/word. The editor wrote back, acknowledging that she copied the recipes, but added a zinger: everything on the Internet is public domain, and free to be copied without recourse of any kind; also, considering how badly written the original work was, the writer should pay her for editing it. She added in a few condescending lines about everything that she has to put up with from "young writers." A more thorough account of it is here:

http://illadore.livejournal.com/30674.html

The fallout from this is already all over Facebook and Twitter. Some people allege that the same magazine has plagiarized recipes from everyone from Martha Stewart to Disney (!). Professional journalistic stories have been written about it in the Washington Post (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2010/11/cooks_source_masters_new_recip.html), The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/nov/04/cooks-source-copyright-complaint), and on MSNBC.com (http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...apple-pies-are-recipe-for-internet-hate-fest-).

I'll keep the pedantry here to a minimum.

The Internet, in one sense, can be considered to be a "domain" and it is open for use by the "public." That does not mean that content on it is "public domain." That term means "free of copyright protections." Online speech is still speech and copyright law applies to it in the same way that it applies to any other form of expression. The US Copyright Act even has clauses in it that specifically refer to the Internet. As for the editor's arrogance, I won't even go there. I will say that making a normative legal statement in public is not a good idea unless you are ready to cite the law line and verse because it is too easy for other people to prove you wrong if you are.

That having been said, there is not a lot that can be done to keep this sort of thing from happening, be it by someone who is merely misinformed or by someone who deliberately wants to steal something. One thing that can be done, however, is to make certain key phrases or sentences in your online work as distinctive and as memorable as possible. This way, you can search for your own work by searching for the phrase (for best results, contain it within quotation marks). This way, you will be able to find copies of your work online fairly easily. I discovered this trick when a writer sent us a story that had a very bizarre word in the first sentence; I googled the sentence and discovered the entire story on a fan fiction forum. (In all likelihood, the story was the original work of the author and not plagiarized, but seeing it already available for free online made us reluctant to publish it, especially since it was probably based on someone else's IP).

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
The editor wrote back, acknowledging that she copied the recipes, but added a zinger: everything on the Internet is public domain, and free to be copied without recourse of any kind; also, considering how badly written the original work was, the writer should pay her for editing it. She added in a few condescending lines about everything that she has to put up with from "young writers." A more thorough account of it is here:

Wow! How incredibly rude. If I were the original author of those recipes, I'd be tempted to at least send that "editor" a cease and desist letter, and possibly more. I would like to say more, but I think I would just end up ranting.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting to watch the internet in motion. The Cooks Source stuff has now entered jokey meme mode with people posting stuff like "Cooks Source told Custer to go to Little Big Horn" and "Cooks source has Kate + 8 viewing parties." It went from righteous anger to indefensible / creepy threats to jokes in 24 hours.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Merging "A prime example of copyright misconceptions..." thread from Basic Writing Questions into older Cooks Source thread in Office Party.

:e2fairy:

-Derek

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's a hoax. A hoax people have jumped all over and spread everywhere, but it's still a hoax.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Paradox11

Registered
Reaction score
What an awesome trainwreck. What awesome irony. I bet she thought she was dealing with a sucker because of her mistaken belief that the ye olde words in the article were mispellings. I'm not sure whether to laugh or shake my head.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
they changed their facebook page to one that doesn't allow wall posts.
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=196994196748&topic=23238#!/pages/Cooks-Source-Mag/159072764128073

it's weird that they (she?) is just telling everyone they don't know and since she (they?) apologized (was that when she said "may bad"?) everyone should get over it and they plan to continue printing the magazine...

That page probably is a hoax.

The real one is still here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooks-Source-Magazine/196994196748