The Walking Dead - AMC

Baconbits

Registered
Reaction score
I've rewatched the series, from start to current point. Is anyone else annoyed by the timeline inconsistencies?

From the point that Rick shows up at the camp and finds Lori and Carl, to the time they end up at the farm was only 7 or 8 days from my counting. Rick had only been with Lori for 8 days... Thus Rick is most likely not the father of the baby, though there is still a small chance. But for a pregnancy test to work, especially a no name brand one, you have to be at least 5 to 7 days past the point you should have started your period.

I'm also not sure if I missed it or not, but how long was Rick in the hospital after crap hit the fan? From the time Shane was in the hospital attempting to save him, till the time Rick wakes up? One week? Two Weeks? Three weeks?

From the sounds of it Rick and Lori weren't doing too much screwing before he got shot, since they were fighting...so it's unlikely she was pregnant from Rick before the shooting.

How soon after escaping and thinking Rick was dead did Lori start shacking up with Shane? It's shocking to me that she would jump right into having sex with Shane just a week after her husband died. Seems a little hard to believe. She'd be grieving for some period of time wouldn't she? Or did she secretly have feelings for Shane too, and falling into sex with him was easy and something she'd thought about before?

So I've found I'm more confused with Season 2's timeline than Season 1. Season 1 was pretty straight forward.

But from my calculations, Sophia was lost only 3 days after the attack at the camp. When they showed up at the CDC there was only 16 or 18 hours on the clock behind the doc. So they were there for less than 24 hours. They leave the CDC and drive. We don't get a good sense of how long they drove, could have been just a day...and then Sophia gets lost.

They spend 3 days up at the road waiting for her to come back. Carl gets shot on the second day of looking for her.

It's only been 3 days since Carl got shot when Glenn finds the zombies in the barn.

But then the next episode Carl is up and feeding baby chicks, but Nelly, the horse Daryl had taken out on his search (which appeared to only be 3 days after Carl got shot) comes running back. So how long was that horse out wondering around? So how much time was supposed to have elapsed from 204 - 206? Because Daryl is still has blood on his head and is laying around nursing his injury in 206, so maybe a day has gone by?

Ugh...these timeline inconsistencies are bugging me.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I think there's much more time between episodes than what you're taking into account. However, they don't make it clear.

As per Lori/Shane/Rick... I think that when Shane & Lori got together, she thought Rick was dead and that she and her son could die at any moment. Heightened emotional state = quicker romance, at least in tv land.

Baby could be Ricks. She and Rick did the deed that first night in the tent, with Carl just a few feet away. Then again at the CDC.

They weren't clear on how much time elapsed between season 1 & 2. I think they keep that vague because of the whole kids aging thing.

Brian_G

Sir Brian the Fabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Illinois, where our governors make our license pla
How soon after escaping and thinking Rick was dead did Lori start shacking up with Shane? It's shocking to me that she would jump right into having sex with Shane just a week after her husband died. Seems a little hard to believe. She'd be grieving for some period of time wouldn't she? Or did she secretly have feelings for Shane too, and falling into sex with him was easy and something she'd thought about before?
I seem to recall a flashback to the beginning of the zombie rising where Lori, Carl and Shane were stranded with may others on the highway and Lori and Shane had sex in the grass on the side of the road...

or maybe that was in the comic. I can't remember.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score

YESSS. I was glad, thinking Darryl was startign to come back around to being a team player. Because as he roughed up/beat up Randall, he said somethign like "you shot at my boys?!" :)

I seem to recall a flashback to the beginning of the zombie rising where Lori, Carl and Shane were stranded with may others on the highway and Lori and Shane had sex in the grass on the side of the road...

Hmm. Now I wanna go back and re-watch the both seasons. I think something like that happened in the graphic novels...on the road... Don't take my word for that.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

That was the comic. In the show they did the flash back where Shane was trying to get them out of the city, they were stuck. Carol offered to give Carl some food, then Carol's SOB of a hubby got upset, so she didn't. Then Lori asked Carol to watch Carl so she & Shane could walk up front and see what's going on. (Because clearly a Mom who is afraid of her husband is a great babysitter.) They walk up front, see the helicopters and watch as they start to napalm the city. They a both distraught, which leads to Lori and Shane holding each other.

There was no badda badda boom boom in that episode.

Even despite the romantic setting of being on a hillside, surrounded by strangers and having the lighting of the napalm explosions upon them. Imagine that.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
poo I have 6 more hours.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I give, what is TSTL?

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I give, what is TSTL?

Too Stupid to Live. Usually seen in a character who does incredibly stupid things for no reason at all other than, possibly, to move the plot along.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I think Carl is joining the ranks of TSTL.

I was desperately hoping he'd become zombie-chow. And if something happens to Daryl the man because that rotten kid was messing with his gun, I will be so peeved.

They should have just offed that Randal kid when he was stuck on the fence so we wouldn't have had to endure the long-winded "what do we do with him" for the past two episodes. Neither Maggie nor her sister seem to know this kid and you'd think one would remotely recognize him.

Brian_G

Sir Brian the Fabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Illinois, where our governors make our license pla
I was desperately hoping he'd become zombie-chow. And if something happens to Daryl the man because that rotten kid was messing with his gun, I will be so peeved.

They should have just offed that Randal kid when he was stuck on the fence so we wouldn't have had to endure the long-winded "what do we do with him" for the past two episodes. Neither Maggie nor her sister seem to know this kid and you'd think one would remotely recognize him.
And we'll have to endure it for at least the next episode.

On another note: T Dog actually appeared and was spoken too albeit briefly.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Man, if I had a child in that situation, I'd never let him out of my sight. I'd sure as hell notice if he disappeared for several hours to go play gotcha with a walker and lose a perfectly good gun.

Poor Dale. Who knew a walker could do that? It's the same with the living dead in George Romero's movies: they're slow and weak -- until they get their hands on you in a feeding frenzy. Then they can literally rip you apart.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Oy! That's all I can say...er, um, except, wow, I hated that episode. Let's save this dude's life so we can torture him...not just physically, but mentally by putting a gun to his head and telling him we are about to execute him--and then change our minds!

And we are all in such ever-present danger, I think we should all walk off in different directions alone at night--including the kid. Yeah, that makes sense.

Sorry, but that one felt like the writers weren't even trying.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I think many of the characters deserve to die just because they're SO stupid. Talk about making stupid decision after stupid decision. Shane might be crazy, but he makes better decisions than most of the other characters! Walking alone at night? Not smart. Letting your kid wander away from camp and not even noticing? Not smart. Arguing forever about whether to keep the hostage alive? Not smart. Either kill him or not.

How have these people survived this long?

ETA: Ugh. Giant signature. Sorry, I'm not sure how to make the picture smaller. I'll go try.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Sorry, but that one felt like the writers weren't even trying.

Unfortunately, that's the way I felt, too. I didn't understand how they couldn't see how sadistic they were all being.

Right now the only characters I like (not necessarily because they're likeable, but at least they're slightly believable) are Shane, Andrea, and Hershel.

And have they taken Daryl all the way to Neo-Nazi? His motorcycle has the Schutzstaffel emblem (the SS) on the tank.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I keep thinking about Carl is that he is the only kid. Imagine you're a kid with no other kids to play with. He's not an adult, so he wouldn't really want to hang out with adults all day long. It makes a certain amount of sense for him to wander off and have some adventures. I guess they could have had his mother ask around "Have you seen Carl?" just to show she noticed he was missing.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
I think many of the characters deserve to die just because they're SO stupid. Talk about making stupid decision after stupid decision. Shane might be crazy, but he makes better decisions than most of the other characters! Walking alone at night? Not smart. Letting your kid wander away from camp and not even noticing? Not smart. Arguing forever about whether to keep the hostage alive? Not smart. Either kill him or not.

I think we could probably create a mile long list of "stupid sh** s/he did", for each character. I am still trying to figure out why Rick felt the need to save Randall in the first place, or why they had to find a nice place in order to drop him. Go a few miles out, throw him on the side of the road... don't even slow the car down. Problem solved.

It's a zombie apocalypse.... there are a LOT of things that can go wrong, even when people make the right decisions. And yet all the things going wrong now stem from the characters' sheer stupidity and incompetence... can't they switch it up a little so we don't end up hating ALL the characters?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com

Yeah, well, look at the TSTL woman who spawned him. I still haven't forgiven her for that "the men will protect us" conversation with Andrea last week. Grrrr....

And as much as Andrea annoyed me the first half of this season, I really like her now. She's actually one of the few I do like right now, after last night.

I understood the point they were trying to make with that episode and with the fall of civilized society, but drawing it out like that and letting Daryl beat Randall up was taking it too far.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I am still trying to figure out why Rick felt the need to save Randall in the first place, or why they had to find a nice place in order to drop him.

Because saving people is in Rick's nature. It was a spur of the moment decision to yank Randall off the fence and take him, rather than leaving him behind to be torn apart. I'd have been more surprised if Rick had left him behind.

Everything that's happened since, though, is just frustrating and somewhat out of character. Granted, Randall's admission of knowing Maggie (thereby knowing the farm) complicated just leaving on the side of the road. But it's hard to believe that in just two episodes they've forgotten the "we don't kill the living" rule.

Not that Randall was doing himself any favors by telling Daryl about the guys from his group who raped two teenagers and made their father watch. *shudder*

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. What a little turd. I was hoping the zombie would get him. The little jerk takes after his idiot mother. The writers are relying on "he's just a kid, so viewers will automatically care what happens to him." I don't care about Carl anymore. Kid or not, he's a vile little cretin.

And have they taken Daryl all the way to Neo-Nazi? His motorcycle has the Schutzstaffel emblem (the SS) on the tank.
I don't think so. He's got angel wings on the back of his denim vest, and we know how heavy handed the wardrobe department has proven to be thus far. Daryl is an angel of death on the side of good. IMO. He's going to be screwed though when he needs the gun that little buttwad Carl lost in the bog.

Yeah, well, look at the TSTL woman who spawned him. I still haven't forgiven her for that "the men will protect us" conversation with Andrea last week. Grrrr....
Same here.

I may be the only person here who disagreed with Dale. They don't have the luxury of living in a fair and democratic society. That's over. It's been over. Dale was the last person left in denial of what they must become if they want to live.

After the show was over, my teen daughter (who was the one who got us hooked on it) started ranting that she's never watching it again, it's a boring stupid soap opera without nearly enough zombies yet the violence is too gratuitous, etc. Cracked me up.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I may be the only person here who disagreed with Dale. They don't have the luxury of living in a fair and democratic society. That's over. It's been over. Dale was the last person left in denial of what they must become if they want to live.

I would have agreed with Dale more if he'd come up with a viable alternative. You have a guy, a complete unknown, who's already told you he knows where he is even though you've kept him blindfolded. He has at least 30 others in his group, armed with automatic weapons, who aren't even just trying to survive; they're just raping and pillaging at will (and bullshit to your "I never touched them girls" rant). If Dale didn't want him executed, what did he want them to do? Keeping him chained up in the barn isn't exactly a long term option, and every day he's there is a day for him to escape and lead his crew to you. Driving him out further than 18 miles isn't an option if he knows where you are; his survival odds may be low, but he could survive. And, again, lead his crew right to you. You could never trust that he would just join you and be your faithful companion. What did Dale want them to do? He never said anything other than "...humanity...souls...rainbows and puppies and unicorns..."

That being said, I think the whole scene of taking him to the barn and prolonging the kid's agony was just cruel. They should have just shot him where he was and been done with it. And Shane should have had the gun to begin with. But they gave it to Rick, setting up another 2 episodes of "what do we do?" debates on the farm.

But I think Randal's going to get away. They'll assume he's coming back with his crew, and that will be what finally gets them off of the farm. That's my theory, anyway.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Because saving people is in Rick's nature. It was a spur of the moment decision to yank Randall off the fence and take him, rather than leaving him behind to be torn apart. I'd have been more surprised if Rick had left him behind.
It's in a lot people's nature to be helpful and want to save others, but to me it's a no-brainer that that Rick would be endangering the people he'd sworn to protect by taking a guy who was just trying to kill them home. He had no problem distringuishing the two guys from Philly as the enemy and having the foresight to know he could not bring THEM to the farm... why wouldn't he think the same of this kid, (who isn't a kid)? Heck, he endangered the people with him by insisting they try to save him while the zombies closed in. It was pure stupidity, and would not make me want him as my leader.