The Walking Dead - AMC

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Once he arrives there and [SPOILEROMG]finds his family[/ENDOFSPOILEROMG], he wants to move the camp away from the city right away. This creates friction between him and the leader.

Yeah, I've read the comics. I've actually been pleased with the show's treatment of them... though I admit, I'm a little concerned about how the Governor will come across. He's SUCH a good (and sometimes disturbing) villain -- he makes the Top 100 Comic Book Villain lists pretty regularly -- that I'm worried he'll be handled wrong.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I really liked it. What was fresh and surprising was at the beginning when he came across the little girl, there was that moment where I was expecting her to start running. It was just so nice to see proper shuffling zombies again. Running zombies are probably more terrifying but shuffling zombies... you can actually get a good look at them, and as the pilot demonstrated, you can sort of see the humanity that used to be in them, you can feel sorry for them. It makes them more interesting.

But poor Lennie James... first he survives a nuclear apocalypse in Jericho and now this. Talk about breaks...

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I watched this today and loved it :)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
A good review, but...uh, the tropes of the good zombie film have always been empathy, introspection, and a study of how extreme situations push humanity to various ends.

And by 'good zombie film', I mean things like Dawn, Day, Night, Land and 28 Days Later.

My personal favorite is still Day of the Dead, for Captain Rhodes is the world's biggest and most awesome asshole.

KodyBoye

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodyboye.com
I plan on posting my review on my blog earlier (for anyone who wants me to expand on these points,) but the following in particular were what killed it for me:

1 - Comparisons/similarities to Dawn/28 Days
2 - The sexism
3 - The timeline. He couldn't have been laying in a hospital for a week, let alone a month and lived without any kind of care, let alone food and water.
4 - The stupidity/contradiction of the main characters
5 - The horse

*shrug*

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I thought the horse would be throughout the season. My husband got a little mad that the horse died. He kept telling the character, "You promised the horse it wouldn't get hurt." Or something like that.

Also the way the deputy just moved in on the wife. My husband said that broke Man Law and it made me wonder if the affair was going on already. Because well that seemed pretty fast.

KodyBoye

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodyboye.com
I thought the horse would be throughout the season. My husband got a little mad that the horse died. He kept telling the character, "You promised the horse it wouldn't get hurt." Or something like that.

Add to the fact that a thousand-plus animal would allow itself to get pulled down by corpses in advanced stage of decomposition... it was just ridiculous. A horse isn't that dumb.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I plan on posting my review on my blog earlier (for anyone who wants me to expand on these points,) but the following in particular were what killed it for me:

1 - Comparisons/similarities to Dawn/28 Days
2 - The sexism
3 - The timeline. He couldn't have been laying in a hospital for a week, let alone a month and lived without any kind of care, let alone food and water.
4 - The stupidity/contradiction of the main characters
5 - The horse

*shrug*

Was a time specified? He did have an IV in. And you can live a long time without food as long as you are hydrated. If the rate of an IV is set low, it can hydrate the person for a good bit. Even without electricity the pump would keep on going since they also have a battery that kicks in.

As for the rest of what you listed, it's debatable. But I hated when the horse died.

Overall, I though it was great.

ETA: I've seen some during my nursing career go a week without any fluid or food before they passed away.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Add to the fact that a thousand-plus animal would allow itself to get pulled down by corpses in advanced stage of decomposition... it was just ridiculous. A horse isn't that dumb.

Didn't the horse get scared and fall, throwing the rider when it was surrounded?

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website

To give some credit to the movie, the character wasn't letting the horse run away when it wanted to, at the first sight of the corpses when there was only one or two off that bus. There were a lot of corpses I think it was just a matter of getting overwhelmed by the number of them.

What is the link to your blog?

I didn't sense any sexism in the show.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
According to the comic(I looked it up), the guy was in a coma for three months. So we can assume that when he finally did wake up, whatever had taken place had happened within a reasonable amount of time for him to still live minus any nursing care.

KodyBoye

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodyboye.com
To give some credit to the movie, the character wasn't letting the horse run away when it wanted to, at the first sight of the corpses when there was only one or two off that bus. There were a lot of corpses I think it was just a matter of getting overwhelmed by the number of them.

What is the link to your blog?

I didn't sense any sexism in the show.

The first five/seven minutes was spent between two characters talking about women can't have light bulbs and that men would never be so cruel as to say something negative in front of their children.

Didn't the horse get scared and fall, throwing the rider when it was surrounded?

He jumped off. At least, that's what I saw.

Was a time specified? He did have an IV in. And you can live a long time without food as long as you are hydrated. If the rate of an IV is set low, it can hydrate the person for a good bit. Even without electricity the pump would keep on going since they also have a battery that kicks in.

The black man (whose name I can't remember/recall hearing) said that the 'gas lines had been down for a month.'

KodyBoye

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodyboye.com
According to the comic(I looked it up), the guy was in a coma for three months. So we can assume that when he finally did wake up, whatever had taken place had happened within a reasonable amount of time for him to still live minus any nursing care.

Did they explain how long he was out without any care? The man said 'lines were down for a month.' :/

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Did they explain how long he was out without any care? The man said 'lines were down for a month.' :/

Just that he was in a coma for three months. So yeah, if all hell had broken loose, say a month before he woke up and he was without medical care, it isn't within the realms of reality that he would still be alive.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's a little far-fetched someone could live on a slow IV drip for a month (considering electricity may be down, too), but I think that's something that audience can choose to suspend their disbelief on. Still unlikely, however.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
It's a little far-fetched someone could live on a slow IV drip for a month (considering electricity may be down, too), but I think that's something that audience can choose to suspend their disbelief on. Still unlikely, however.

It's impossible. The bag only holds so much and even on the lowest flow rate it would not last. The pumps have batteries that kick in when the power is out but still, they would not last long.

Last edited:

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
The first five/seven minutes was spent between two characters talking about women can't have light bulbs and that men would never be so cruel as to say something negative in front of their children.

Hmmm... I guess that I didn't really see it as sexist of the show in and of itself, just one dumbass guy spouting off his BS. In fact, Mr Grr and I were both laughing at it because at our house, I am constantly going behind him and turning off lights, and coming home after work to find that he's left every light in the lower level on.

And I have one woman I work with, who every time you say, "Hi, Name, how's it going?", goes off on a long rant about why men suck and why they're all assholes and should all be taken out back and shot. It's annoying, and I try really hard to avoid her, but I don't classify the whole company as sexist against men because of her attitude. I just classify her as needing a good massage or vacation or something.

I guess that in order for me to classify the whole show as sexist, I would need to see more than one instance of some jackass spouting off. Right now, all I have is one jackass who has apparently manage to start an affair with his partner's wife, even though he thinks all women are stupid bitches who can't understand the concept of a light switch.

The rest of your post, I agree with though, especially regarding how long he's been in his coma with no medical care. That really bugged me, too.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In 28 Days Later it's not like we know how long he was in a coma either. I put the whole coma bit into the suspension of disbelief. He needs to not know what's going on coma is the best way to do that.

My husband and I both found the joke at the beginning funny. I think it only offends if you find it offensive. After all there are jokes about men that are in that same vein. If the affair had been going on before the show started perhaps the "friend" is telling this joke to keep MC from suspecting said affair. At least that is what I thought when I saw "friend" and wife kiss.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
The comic book starts growing the beard more or less between issues 10-20... and the tv show is gonna be 6 episodes per season... oh dear, this is going to be kinda slow...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Huh. Dang it I swore I wasn't going to get curmudgeonly on this thing until after week three and you've all just goaded me into it.

There was a definite lack of details regarding when the hospital "fell". Clearly signs were everywhere that some sort of stand happened there (there were the remains of what could be described as a military outpost in the parking lot). Maybe though most of the surrounding area was overwhelmed weeks or months before, the hospital lasted until just a day or two before the MC awoke.

I didn't have any trouble with the anti-feminist conversation at the beginning. I felt it was meant to show us how empathetic the MC was, that his relationship with his wife wasn't stellar and that his BF was a bit of a playa (well, for a Georgian Deputy Sheriff). When I mentioned misogyny in my earlier post, I was referring to the more subtle way women were portrayed as both weak and in need of protection and guidance, and as a prize to be contested by the menfolk. (Of course, if the last few years have taught me anything, it's that female characters have been set-back about twenty years since Buffy closed the Hellmouth for good.)