The Walking Dead - AMC

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
How often in TV dramas do you get to see a TIGER going to WAR and mauling baddies? Enjoy it, ya miserable sods. ;)

(I joke, I'm sure you all have good points.)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
To me it looked like Rick had a flesh wound along his side, but still that would be torn muscle that would slow him down.

That and his utterly remarkable resistance to infection. At the beginning of the season, he put a blade all the way through his hand -- and no ordinary blade. This one was attached to a rotting animate corpse that shuffles around in a landfill all day and night.

He has an excellent immune system.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I still think Rick is zombie-fied to some level. Episode 1.1 was very suspicious.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Come on, guys. You are criticising a show about zombies for not being realistic ... ;-)

I thought it was fun. It hinted at a repeat of the Lucille moment from episode 1 and then segued into a kitty ex machina. The Sasha moment wasn't hard to work out, but it was neatly done all the same. And they have the cojones to have Eugene's quite remarkable take on the apocalypse.

I'm loving Negan's laconic tyranny. “You got some beach ball-size lady-nuts on you, coming in all kamikaze like that.”

As for the less than realistic parts, I'd already checked in my willing suspension of disbelief at the door. If I can forgive them for living in tents for much of series 2, I can forgive a semi-intelligent CGI tigger. For me TWD crossed over into fantasy comic land when they first showed Michonne with a samurai sword and two armless walkers on leashes.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
How often in TV dramas do you get to see a TIGER going to WAR and mauling baddies? Enjoy it, ya miserable sods. ;)

*hangs head* I KNOW, and I know we're so far past realism it's a bit much to expect. But I do still get immersed in their world so it's frustrating when moments jerk me so thoroughly out. I mean, as a writer, I can't get away with that. Yank the reader out of the story like that and they may never come back to the book, or may never buy another one. It's lazy, is all. And for all my complaints, I still do have higher expectations of the show. It would have been easy to NOT have so many o_O nuggets in one 90-minute episode.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
The lack-of-realism thing that gets me over and over and over is how the freaking zombies can sneak up on anybody. They're clumsy and shambling and never shut up, until the exact second when they need to be absolutely silent and stealthy so they can appear out of nowhere for plot purposes. Plus, they must stink to high heaven. Come on, folks--I leave a package of hamburger three days past expiration and can't go near my fridge. Imagine 100+ pounds of that sneaking up behind you.

Well, that and the time Rick's people were starving in the lush wilderness surrounding...D.C.?

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin

Touche. I mean the shiva bit was one of the best bits (even if it did stretch suspension of disbelief to it's limits) but still not enough to drag the rest up. Would rather have been writing or reading, I think at this point I'm watching out of duty.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad Negan didn't die. He is the most superb villian in the shows history. Makes the governor look like a boy scout. What mayhem will he wreak next season? Oh, and, go tiger.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the Sasha stuff was done very well but I guess I'm in the minority. As to what purpose did her arc have these past 2-3 eps? She wasn't going to let Negan use her for what he wanted and she turned it into a distraction that helped her crew in that one moment. Also liked the flashback with her and Abraham. Thought it was well done.

It's very hard to produce a show like this for 7+ years and have everyone love every second(or have few complaints) I'll admit that the show hasn't gotten my attention like it did when it first started(for various reasons - one of them is how they stretch things out far too long) but overall I think the finale was very well written(for the most part.) My big hope is that they would end the series next year. Go out with a bang but I doubt that'll happen. They need to wrap it up at some point soon though. Very soon. 1-2 seasons tops.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
While it had it's good moments, season 7 of The Walking Dead is my least favorite season thus far.

Coincidentally, season 7 of Supernatural is also my least-favorite season of that show. Leviathans. Ugh.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
What gets me is how the walkers have gone from object of terror to convenient device to either provide an escape to keep characters from making a tough decision, or add an action scene in a filler episode.

I'm skipping through most of the Walking Dead, only catching it occasionally, but some examples for this season is the random walker horde from the highway scene. It's almost like it was written because people were sitting around thinking of cool ways to kill zombies and wrote a episode just to use it.

The episode that stands out as bad writing to me is where they go steal the guns from that feminist community. Right when they're up against a wall a horde of extras from the Pirates of the Caribbean show up and give them a moral out. Also in that episode the bearded guy is thinking of killing the English woman with a bad southern accent while he's thinking about a walker just shows up and gives the scene a quick, easy out. That entire episode would have been infinitely stronger had zombies not shown up to save the characters from making tough, raw, dramatic decisions.

CindyGirl

Registered
Reaction score
The scene where a walker had Gregory on the ground was one of the few times I rooted for the walker. Bite him! Bite him! Dang it, Maggie!

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
The scene where a walker had Gregory on the ground was one of the few times I rooted for the walker. Bite him! Bite him! Dang it, Maggie!

i bet the other time you rooted for a walker....was when Walker Sasha was trying to bite Negan! i will say, even without seeing that moment she takes the pill..... the way they dragged out the whole "her in the coffin" while negan was talking and then the camera angle when he finally goes to open it.....it was clear that something big was gonna happen....

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I liked Sasha's ending. I used to like her character, but when she spiralled down a pit of self-pity and angst, I wondered if maybe I just liked her because she's pretty. She became a liability to both the survivors and the show, and a suicide risk ever since her first "Let me shoot something, anything" escapade, so this was a tremendous way to go. She made the sacrifice she felt she owed everyone. She finally gave us a little depth and reason to feel for her beyond "Girl, get your shit together".
Lots of my friends dissed the climax of the episode when the tiger attacked out of nowhere and Ezekiel's people came riding in, but I thought that was epic. I watched it with my jaw on the floor. I loved it. It's not in sync with the show's usual sober glum stuff, but damn. I just hope the tiger survives! And for Carol to get over her "tragic hermit" BS. And for Morgan to come down from his hippie trip. What's next, he gonna stop everyone from raising and slaughtering cattle? Can we please all agree that not all life is precious, especially when said life is holding a gun in your face?

Also, is it bad that I'm madly hot for Negan? Ever since I started playing the phone game... I love being a jerk and making him team leader, and assigning Daryl and Glenn to follow... I adore Daryl and Glenn - y I do dis?!

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
What gets me is how the walkers have gone from object of terror to convenient device to either provide an escape to keep characters from making a tough decision, or add an action scene in a filler episode.

I'm skipping through most of the Walking Dead, only catching it occasionally, but some examples for this season is the random walker horde from the highway scene. It's almost like it was written because people were sitting around thinking of cool ways to kill zombies and wrote a episode just to use it.

The episode that stands out as bad writing to me is where they go steal the guns from that feminist community. Right when they're up against a wall a horde of extras from the Pirates of the Caribbean show up and give them a moral out. Also in that episode the bearded guy is thinking of killing the English woman with a bad southern accent while he's thinking about a walker just shows up and gives the scene a quick, easy out. That entire episode would have been infinitely stronger had zombies not shown up to save the characters from making tough, raw, dramatic decisions.
I don't think you can be too creative with zombies, since they have no consciousness, no free will, and no personality. The only way to add anything new to TWD zombies is to finally let one evolve, wake up, die on its own, or have someone discover a cause or cure. But as long as there is no change in walker nature/behaviour and no discovery about their origin, finding new ways to exploit or kill them is pretty much all that can be done with them once viewers get over the fear factor.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you can be too creative with zombies, since they have no consciousness, no free will, and no personality. The only way to add anything new to TWD zombies is to finally let one evolve, wake up, die on its own, or have someone discover a cause or cure. But as long as there is no change in walker nature/behaviour and no discovery about their origin, finding new ways to exploit or kill them is pretty much all that can be done with them once viewers get over the fear factor.

from object of terror to convinence? that's just how humanity naturally is. in the beginning they feared zombies. but you gotta remember.... we're 8 seasons in...and it's been what....3 years for the characters?
i live in detroit....every time i read about another shoot out on the east side or whatever.... i'm like "uhg...again?" in more annoyance than fear.

in the show, since there is LESS humans than zombies, the humans are gonna be the suprise/feared thing now....

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
Whilst Negan is full of surprises, I very much miss the earlier seasons because the characters actually interacted around the slices of action, I get that they've filtered down and been grounded into the daring dust of hardened trespassers but I just feel along the way the group became so crowded that everything has been diluted. It's a marvelous show with a decent enough balance on the whole through the seasons apart from the odd dud but I lost touch with the human quality. Lincoln is an absolute wonder at conveying things through his posture and facial expressions, I'm glad he has been explored thoroughly, they've done that right at least but I miss him having deeper interaction with others except Negan not ''do this, do that'' kind of stuff or token 'man that was tough' recuperation stuff. I hope him and Morgan get some time together, his backstory with that chill stick guy should've gone on several episodes.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The boyfriend of one of my friends was severely injured yesterday on set. From what I was told, he likely won't make it past today. It's very sad. From what little I knew of him, he seemed a genuinely great person.

http://www.eonline.com/news/866846/...own-production-after-stuntman-is-hospitalized

eta: Unfortunately, he did indeed die just a little while ago. I have no idea what to say to my friend. I'm just not good at that type of stuff. This whole situation is heartbreaking and my heart goes out to his family, girlfriend, and friends.

Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm just not good at that type of stuff. This whole situation is heartbreaking and my heart goes out to his family, girlfriend, and friends.

This is difficult, but a simple, "I'm so sorry" will likely let your friend know you're thinking of her. I agree, it's heartbreaking, especially because it's so uncommon an occurrence, despite the risks stuntpeople take. My condolences to your friend, and Mr. Bernecker's family. :Hug2:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I have a question...

Negan.

What's the point of talking to him? What does he have to say that Rick could possibly want to hear? Why doesn't Rick just shoot him the moment he's in range, and move on from there?

Rick has had no compunction about being judge/jury/executioner on any number of live humans so far in this series. Other than keeping a neat villain around for a bit longer what's the point of not dealing with him?

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I have a question...

Negan.

What's the point of talking to him? What does he have to say that Rick could possibly want to hear? Why doesn't Rick just shoot him the moment he's in range, and move on from there?

From the moment Negan stepped out the door 'til the end of the episode I kept asking myself the same thing. It made no sense at all. They could have gotten the other 5 to surrender if Rick would've shot Negan right between the eyes before anyone uttered a sound. :Shrug: