New DSM-IV Lists Anti-Authority, Nonconforming, Anarchist Types as Mentally Ill

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a world. The site I got this from is questionable, I'll give you that, but all the more reason they should be afraid:

Is nonconformity and freethinking a mental illness? According to the newest addition of the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it certainly is. The manual identifies a new mental illness called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD. Defined as an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance...

http://www.prisonplanet.com/is-free-thinking-a-mental-illness.html

I've been advised by a semi-trusted friend that this is in the new DSM-IV.

The Soviets used mental illness as a political weapon, back in the day. Are you worried? Of course, not. No one would ever do that here. Right?

"Everything is proceding as I have foreseen." - The Galactic Emperor, Star Wars

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Any conduct is a psychiatric illness when carried to extremes, just as any substance is a toxin when consumed in excess (even water).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, the last "new" DSM-IV was in 2000, and nothing much in it changed from the 1994 version. Wait for the DSM-V.

Secondly, here's the description on wikipedia (I know, I know, just read it):

Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People who have it may appear very stubborn. Temper tantrums, stealing, bullying, and vandalism are some of key symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder. ODD children may present as negative, defiant, unable to take "no" for an answer, deliberately annoying others, easily annoyed themselves, or blaming others for all that goes wrong.[1] The child's behavior often disrupts the child's normal daily activities, including activities within the family and at school.[2]

Yeah, sounds like you and Don. :rolleyes

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, an authority declares that being anti-authoritarian is a disease. I'm shocked, I tell ya.

When are they going to list "desire for coercive power over others" in their damned manual? :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, an authority declares that being anti-authoritarian is a disease. I'm shocked, I tell ya.

When are they going to list "desire for coercive power over others" in their damned manual? :D

Borderline Personality Disorder might have that symptom as well as some forms of Anti-Social Personality Disorder.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not what ODD is at all. It's a diagnosis given to little kids who have lived traumatic lives (like been badly abused), and now have a set pattern of adverse behavior. Like, you have a smart and charming kid who wants to be good and please people. He asks for a second cookie for dessert, you tell him no, and he flips out into a tantrum that takes a full hour to recover from, during which he calls you every dirty word he knows, tries to hurt you, tries to destroy property, screams, cries, and pees on you. When it's over, he will back to acting like a regular loving kid. This is the type of naughty behavior that can't be modified with normal discipline and behavior management. It's not about being a nonconformist.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Borderline Personality Disorder might have that symptom as well as some forms of Anti-Social Personality Disorder.
But how often is someone who devotes their entire career to the pursuit of that desire diagnosed as such? I think megalomania should figure in there somewhere too. :D

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

But how often is someone who devotes their entire career to the pursuit of that desire diagnosed as such? I think megalomania should figure in there somewhere too. :D

Being anti-authority is a single symptom of many, and it takes far more than one symptom to make any kind of diagnosis for anything.

One symptom doesn't make a mental illness. The description clearly shows that it is not an "anti-authoritarian disease".

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
ODD has been around for quite some time - and yes, this type of behavior 'becomes' an illness when, like other behaviors designated mental illnesses, it goes to such an extreme that it adversely and extremely affects one's ability to function in 'normal society' (causes serious problems at work, in relationships, in day-to-day living). It is not just being a non-conformist.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

The problem is that the diagnosis happens on an interpersonal level. For example, an abusive partner who puts their partner on an emotional yo-yo, effectively trapping them and making them walk on eggshells. Or an abusive partner that will throw you out if you so dare oppose, pushing towards criminal behaviour of physical abuse or attempted murder and laugh if you so dare to call on their behaviour. I've met people like this and they are scary.

Power-mongers are more benign than that. However egomania may drive them towards paranoia, thus leading towards a narcissistic personality disorder.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
ODD has been around for quite some time - and yes, this type of behavior 'becomes' an illness when, like other behaviors designated mental illnesses, it goes to such an extreme that it adversely and extremely affects one's ability to function in 'normal society' (causes serious problems at work, in relationships, in day-to-day living). It is not just being a non-conformist.
Ah... like hanging out all day on political forums instead of getting out in the sunshine and enjoying the world. Glad none of us have anything to worry about, then. :ROFL:

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Defined as an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance...

Didn't that used to be called adoloscence?

I hope I got the bloody spelling right.:D

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, the last "new" DSM-IV was in 2000, and nothing much in it changed from the 1994 version. Wait for the DSM-V.

Secondly, here's the description on wikipedia (I know, I know, just read it):
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People who have it may appear very stubborn. Temper tantrums, stealing, bullying, and vandalism are some of key symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder. ODD children may present as negative, defiant, unable to take "no" for an answer, deliberately annoying others, easily annoyed themselves, or blaming others for all that goes wrong.[1] The child's behavior often disrupts the child's normal daily activities, including activities within the family and at school.[2]

Yeah, sounds like you and Don. :rolleyes
I KNEW it! Half the people I work with "have problems".