How Many Books Have You Read this Year?

Reaction score
Gads, but I feel better now.
Most ebooks are shorter than your average print book of course.

And it's research, Moccer Som! Research! If I didn't read so much filth, I'd have to pepper every thread with photos like this:
RichardArmitage45.jpg

Is that what you want? 'Cause that's worralappen!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to me. Rawr!

Most ebooks are shorter than your average print book of course.

And it's research, Moccer Som! Research! If I didn't read so much filth, I'd have to pepper every thread with photos like this:
RichardArmitage45.jpg

Is that what you want? 'Cause that's worralappen!

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

kidding...:e2moon:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have just over 800 print books, and around 450 ebooks.

177 read so far sounds a lot, but bear in mind some of those were ebook novellas, which you can knock off in a few hours.

I know someone online who, last year I think it was, read around 300 print books. She's even faster than me, and that's saying something.

Evelyn

I'm writing!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gailbridges.com
I read 66 books this year.

For ten years I kept a nice notebook where I wrote down every book that I read and a short description/reflection about it. Halfway through 2010, I found Goodreads and my list has gone digital. It's kind of sad in a way...

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I know someone online who, last year I think it was, read around 300 print books. She's even faster than me, and that's saying something.

I don't want to be mean or something, but where's the pleasure in reading so many of them so fast? I want to enjoy the book. Something like wine, every sip must be enjoyed to the fullest. Can you do that when you read 300 books a year?

Again, I don't want to diss or anything, just asking a simple question. :)

Reaction score
I don't want to be mean or something, but where's the pleasure in reading so many of them so fast? I want to enjoy the book. Something like wine, every sip must be enjoyed to the fullest. Can you do that when you read 300 books a year?

Again, I don't want to diss or anything, just asking a simple question. :)
Yes.

Okay, longer answer. This is similar to the perpetual "If you write fast, you must write crap," accusation that pops up on AW from time to time.

Reading fast is possible for those with high reading comprehension. The person to whom I refer has that.

Maybe you prefer to sip at books - my friend doesn't need to.

As for me, the most books I've read in one year (I refer to all print books) is around 150.

izanobu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anniebellet.com
I read pretty quickly, too. And yes, I remember and enjoy everything I've read (well, I don't enjoy everything I've read, sometimes I find a book that is just meh or, more rarely, a total dud). When I first met my husband he used to quiz me when I finished a book because he couldn't believe I was actually reading with any comprehension. Reading fast, btw, is a skill and just about anyone can learn it. I'm dyslexic and I taught myself to read faster (and to read with better understanding) so I could do better in school.

I think I'm near 300 books read this year, but I didn't keep track like I did last year. I know that since getting my Kindle I've read over 60 books and that was just back in October I think.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I counted last night. 187 finished, not counting a dozen or so I started and wasn't interested enough to finish. Those are all print books. Probably 60% new to me, and 40% re-reads.

ETA: does not count the 4 or 5 full ms I beta read.

MM

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I'm on 159 right now, but about to finish. I'll start another one, but doubt I'll be done by midnight, so I'm calling it 159 books for 2010.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I ended the year with 129 books finished, 130 pages per day. None were ebooks, just good old paper and ink.

This was close to 2009 (131 books, 124 pages/day), so a book every three days is pretty normal for me.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I finished up 2010 at 169 books. I really wanted to hit 200, but it didn't happen. I've got 2 in so far for 2011, and 200 is still the goal.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

You can do it when you read 500 books a year! (See my sig--I also read other books for review, and I read just for fun, too.)

Reading quickly is not necessarily reading inattentively for everyone; if you have the gift or learned skill or both of reading quickly and attentively, you can get through a lot of books in the year. (Alas, it doesn't leave much time for watching TV, though, which I love to do.)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I ended the year at 55, just 3 above my original goal of 52. All of them were ebooks. Not a single reread either, which is pretty amazing since I have a habit of reading favorite books over and over again.

This year I didn't up my goal much, aiming for 60. I'm actually more concerned with trying to read every day, even if it's just a page or two.

Last edited:

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea how many books I read last year, but after seeing this thread, I've decided to start keeping track for this year. :) I'm up to 7 so far.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
4.5 months in and I'm way behind. I've only finished 9 books so far. Working on the 10th. Still making an effort to be more diversified in my reading but considering all the new releases I've been anticipating (some for years), I think my list will be even more fantasy-centric than it was last year. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course.