How can I get my poetry published?

stargurl128

Stargirl128
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! I have written a lot of poetry recently, not all good but I'd like to know if I could get a few published. How exactly do you get poetry published though? The process must be very different than getting a book published right?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You submit to poetry sites or to literary magazines.

You can try: http://www.placesforwriters.com for a list of poetry publications that accepts submissions. ALWAYS read the submission guidelines and follow them to a tee. They usually ask you to submit 3 or 4 or 5 poems, for example. Submit no more than the amount they ask for. http://www.duotrope.com/ is also a good site.

Hope this helps.

yogapoet74

Registered
Reaction score
All that KTC said, and also read the literary magazines--online and print--and find ones that feel like you. Then read their submission guidelines and get on it. Also join the group CRWROPPS that Allison Josephs runs. She sends out regular emails about places currently accepting submissions and they're mainly poetry sites. I've found lots of my submission places this way.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great ideas here; and don't forget Poet's Market 2011...in bookstores now. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Important tip:

the ones you've identified as "not all good?"

Don't send those.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Important tip:

the ones you've identified as "not all good?"

Don't send those.
word, Dave. good advice. send your BEST work. and make sure it matches the market your submitting to, too.

stargurl128

Stargirl128
Registered
Reaction score
Alrighty, I'll keep all these tips in mind :). Thanks for the advice

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! I have written a lot of poetry recently, not all good but I'd like to know if I could get a few published. How exactly do you get poetry published though? The process must be very different than getting a book published right?

Before you think about submitting, consider workshopping your poems at the toughest place you can find. Put your thickest skin on and let some experienced, published poets critique your work (while you're critiquing others', of course).

You say you've written a lot of poems recently. You might also want to put them away for a little while and let them gel, then go back to them later with fresh eyes, revise carefully and then workshop them before submission.

Best,

Shelley

Sleepyhead

Odd user title happenings.
Registered
Reaction score
Before you think about submitting, consider workshopping your poems at the toughest place you can find. Put your thickest skin on and let some experienced, published poets critique your work (while you're critiquing others', of course).

You say you've written a lot of poems recently. You might also want to put them away for a little while and let them gel, then go back to them later with fresh eyes, revise carefully and then workshop them before submission.

Best,

Shelley

So true. When I took my first poetry class, I was shocked to discover the standards to which I should have been holding myself were so much higher than the standards to which I had been.

MonsterWithPen

Registered
Reaction score

Best,

Shelley

I know I'm ignorant, but do you have any tips on where to get critique? And how to polish your work yourself too...

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
you can get critique in our poetry forum...the thread is poetry critique

:)

come join us...

Buhajla

Registered
Reaction score
Never invest in the Poetry Market book. It costs too much money and small press publications fold too often and too quickly to make it a viable investment. Use duotrope.com. It is free. Libraries (many university ones, too) usually have the latest Writer's Market books in the reference section. Also free. Follow submission guidelines exactly and only submit to publications that accept simultaneous submissions (which means submitting the same poems to multiple publications). Otherwise, you'll never get that 1st publication, because who has that kind of time to wait around. Also, no one makes money with poetry. Therefore, if you don't love writing it, then you'll be disappointed.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Never invest in the Poetry Market book. It costs too much money and small press publications fold too often and too quickly to make it a viable investment. Use duotrope.com. It is free. Libraries (many university ones, too) usually have the latest Writer's Market books in the reference section. Also free. Follow submission guidelines exactly and only submit to publications that accept simultaneous submissions (which means submitting the same poems to multiple publications). Otherwise, you'll never get that 1st publication, because who has that kind of time to wait around. Also, no one makes money with poetry. Therefore, if you don't love writing it, then you'll be disappointed.

Poet's Market is one of the best investments any poet can make. This would be true even if you couldn't write it off your taxes. Duotrope is pretty good, but not anywhere near as good as Poet's Market.
Many libraries do carry Poet's Market, but you can't check it out, even if it's the latest edition, which it probably won't be.

Nor do mjost of teh markets fold that fast. Most good ones, in fact, have been around for decades. Poetry markets don't fold nearly as often as fiction markets.