Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Sugar and Spice Press

Sugar and Spice Press

Looking around and I didn't see anything for this publisher. If a thread already exists, don't hesitate to find a big stick and poke me with it, but does anyone know anything about them?

Here is there website link....http://www.sugarnspicepress.com/

And submissions page which took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to find.....http://www.sugarnspicepress.com/inde...in_page=page_3

"Sit down and put down everything that comes into your head and then you're a writer. But an author is one who can judge his own stuff's worth, without pity, and destroy most of it." ~Sindonie Gabrielle

"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." ~Richard Bach

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    That a number of the books are by staff is rarely a good sign. Have you read through their excerpts?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    There's no details on the background of any of the people associated with the publisher - specifically whether they have previous publishing industry experience. That is not a reassuring sign. Then there's this:

Sugar and Spice Press Website:
    So here's the bottom line...

By going with SSP, you become part of our happy publishing family and we're thrilled to have you! Sugar and Spice Press
    If I'm signing up with a publisher I don't want to be part of a family - I want to get my book sold to the public. If there was anything on the site that suggested this publisher could do that then it would be one thing, but everything I've seen suggests well intentioned amateurs.

Going through the list of authors, one of them - Jacqueline Turner Banks is apparently a partner in the Banks Communications Literary Agency, which I can't find a huge amount about on Google (about the only entries are her author bio on Sugar and Spice and a few client details up on Publishers Marketplace).

Another of the authors - Sabrina Luna - claims to be a bestselling author in her author blurb but that's the kind of thing that's easy to claim without explaining what you mean by it. Having taken a quick look on Amazon at her previous publishers, with the best will in the world I have to say that I doubt she's using the normal meaning of bestseller, i.e. NYT or USA Today.

MM

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post

Another of the authors - Sabrina Luna - claims to be a bestselling author in her author blurb but that's the kind of thing that's easy to claim without explaining what you mean by it. Having taken a quick look on Amazon at her previous publishers, with the best will in the world I have to say that I doubt she's using the normal meaning of bestseller, i.e. NYT or USA Today.

MM
    With Ebook authors--which is what Sabrina Luna is--Bestselling Author can mean at their publisher's website, at Fictionwise, All Romance eBooks or other venues. It doesn't have anything to do with the standard paperback 'bestseller' lists.

Just thought I'd clarify that.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    My Domain LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
    Order-The Prince He Loved
    Print
    Ebook
    Apocalypse Dance-Sold to Fireborn Publishing 4-15-15

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis) defyalllogic's Avatar
    the book covers are... almost.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Personally, I think if the 'best selling' term is not used in the conventional sense, it should be qualified by saying which list they are referring to. Otherwise it does tend to look like one is over-egging the pudding.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Personally, I think if the 'best selling' term is not used in the conventional sense, it should be qualified by saying which list they are referring to. Otherwise it does tend to look like one is over-egging the pudding.
    The number of authors who find a way to make the claim "bestselling" is growing. It's started to lose meaning. Particularly among ebook authors.

Some small epubs will have "bestsellers" with fewer than 50 books sold.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

michael_b:
    With Ebook authors--which is what Sabrina Luna is--Bestselling Author can mean at their publisher's website, at Fictionwise, All Romance eBooks or other venues. It doesn't have anything to do with the standard paperback 'bestseller' lists.

Just thought I'd clarify that.
    Thanks for the clarification. Like jennontheisland said though, the "bestselling" claim is losing meaning among epublishers and if you're going to use it, you need to at least set out in what respect you're a bestseller. To be honest, an author who's a bestseller at a small publisher where the average number of sales is 250, isn't making much of a legitimate claim IMO (even allowing for the fact that ebook sales don't tend to be huge).

There seems to me to be a lot of romance publishers out there. I'd want to see/know what makes this one stand out and see what their sales are like in 2 years time.

MM

Well speaking for myself, I've been a best seller at several of the publishers I've been with and with all of them 'bestseller' for me was well over the 250 mark you mention in the first couple of weeks.

I've also been a bestseller at Fictionwise and at All Romance eBooks and here too, the number of copies sold was in the high three figures. Keep in mind, I write m/m for the most part, not the more popular m/f.

I know there are these ideas that, as you state, even allowing for the fact that ebook sales don't tend to be huge--which really might have been true years ago, but isn't always the case now. I won't say they're in the tens of thousands, but I personally know of authors who sell in the 1500 to 2000 range the first month their books come out. A number of these authors also sell to NYC, so I'm sure there are some crossover sales.

Speaking for Shadowfire Press, sales vary widely and a lot of those sales depend on genre and pairing. For us m/m has traditionally been our top seller with the paranormal m/m books leading the pack with sales in three figures. We've done a lot of advertising to help build our m/f readership, but here again paranormal titles do far better than contemporaries.
    Michael Barnette
    I do NaNoWriMo

Print
    Ebook

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
    For us m/m has traditionally been our top seller with the paranormal m/m books leading the pack with sales in three figures.
    mb, is that total sales, or the first month after release? (Just curious.)

Maybe general discussion about ebook sales levels needs its own thread? But in my experience low four figures is quite realistic for MM, high four figures in some cases.

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis) defyalllogic's Avatar
    i read a few of the blurbs on the coming soon page and I'd say, personally, I don't expect too much from the books they're representing. the blurb alone was confusing and missing key information to allow sense to be made.

michael_b:
    I won't say they're in the tens of thousands, but I personally know of authors who sell in the 1500 to 2000 range the first month their books come out
    Yes, but compare that to, say The Sunday Times bestseller list, where a book in the top 10 would sell upwards of 8,000 copies in the UK (for fiction paperbacks). I'm not dismissing those sales, I'm saying that they're not really comparable to what most people would think of as bestselling figures.

The point is that there are bestsellers and there are bestsellers. If you're going to call yourself a bestseller without defining what that means, then I would suggest that most people would infer that you're talking about the newspaper bestseller lists.

MM

Quite.

practical experience, FTW Invincibility's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Submissions page
    No rape presented in a positive light or for titillation, no incest in any form, no pedophilia, no necrophelia, and no bodily functions.

Oh, phew. Good thing they don't ban necrophilia -- just necrophelia, whatever that is. Though I'm confused on how they expect people to submit erotica if bodily functions, for example ejaculation, aren't allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibility View Post
    Oh, phew. Good thing they don't ban necrophilia -- just necrophelia, whatever that is.
    Hamlet's zombie girlfriend. Nobody wants to read a novel with her in it.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write! Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    ::groan:: -- suffering the slings and arrows!
    The Queen's Wings by Jamie K. Schmidt
    Heat: Club Inferno
    Longing: Club Inferno book 2
    Fever: Club Inferno book 3--Coming 2015
    Spice co-authored with Jenna Jameson
    http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Fate-Jen...ds=spice+jamie
    Shifting Currents by Lissa Trevor
    Triad
    Menage A Musketeer--Coming 2015

Yet more plagiarized work has popped up, this time at Sugar and Spice. It's right on their front page as of this writing.

http://www.sugarnspicepress.com/

I'm not blaming the publisher, there are so many books out there that it's difficult for anyone to know if the story is original or stolen these days. They do appear to be taking the appropriate steps regarding the situation.
    Michael Barnette
    I do NaNoWriMo

Print
    Ebook

The author in question is also published by Amira, Phaze, Bookstrand, Red Rose, eXtasy and Class Act Books

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Proof that you can plagiarize a Harlequin Blaze book published thirteen years ago and still be caught out!

*shakes fist*
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"
    Oscar Wilde (citation needed)

Personally I am impressed that two different people spotted the duplications after that period of time, good on them.

Aha...the plagiarized book was reissued in July last year! You can bet that someone, somewhere is now going through Ms Plagiarist's other books with a fine tooth comb looking for further evidence of wrongdoing. It's strange that quite a few Amazon reviewers are puzzled by the fact that her other interracial romances barely mention that the couples are of different races...
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 12-21-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    "There is only one thing worse than being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass, and that is being obliged to sit cross-legged on the grass near an ant colony"

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    The author in question is also published by Amira, Phaze, Bookstrand, Red Rose, eXtasy and Class Act Books
    As a follow up, we were notified about this from Sugar and Spice Press last night. In accordance with our strict policy concerning authors who have plagiarized, Phaze has cancelled the books we have published by the author in question.

Does anyone else suspect that the offending book's title is decidedly tongue-in-cheek?