Would you buy/read a book by an author you don't like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bs_08

not so new kid, be gentle anyway!
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody, please, what does Rice mean by this?

if you don't like her books its because you're interrogating them from the wrong perspective

i think what she means is, you are trying to "analyze" her book (but she uses the word "interrogate" to make it sound more aggressive?) but you have the wrong" ideas/point of view/expectations" in your head.

i might be totally wrong about what she meant though. she does tend to go overboard with thesaurus abuse sometimes and comes out with wacky word combos like this...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
When I pick up a book by an author and their writing clicks with me, I am further in turn interested in the person behind the words. Who are they? Do they own cats? Do they live on a farm? In the city? Do they knit? Weave? Collect seashells? Play in Fantasy Football? I like these things. It makes the author more, I don't know, real? Approachable? Firmly planted on the Planet Earth and not off in the clouds with the other gods of the pantheon?
And I don't care about any of that. I don't even read the author bios on the back of the book, let alone look for writers or info about them on the internet. It's the same for music, when the 'MTV'-type stations played videos all day I was perfectly content. Now they have interviews and bios and lifestyle things, and I don't watch them anymore. 'Cause I don't care. Shut up and play. In the same vein, shut up and write. 'Cause all I care about is the book.

A question for those of you who do care about all that stuff: If an author was a wonderful person, supported all the right causes, adopted special needs children and rescued dogs, lived an organic/vegan/environmentally sustainable life, but his books were boring twaddle in a genre you didn't like, would you buy his books to be 'supportive'?

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's not an issue to me because I lack your refined literary sensibilities and I think all books are alike.

First, I'm going to rep and thank Amadan for this. :kiss:

Second, because I really said and repeated and explicated all I had to add to a very good thread that I really don't want to see getting screwed, I'm going to take my fair share of reps (apparently my avatar trap worked :e2woo:) and hit the road.

Merry Christmas To All, and To All a Good Night.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Why does it matter how other people choose their books?

If you refuse to read books with purple covers because purple is associated with Royalty and you don't like that, fine. Or becuase purple is the secret colour of the flying spaghetti monster, fine

If you won't read a book because the author is LDS/Christian/Not-Christian whatever, good for you.

If I won't read a book with a pink cover because I wouldn't be seen dead with anything pink, that too is up to me.

Everyone has their reasons for buying/not buying books. Some are rational (pink covers are generally chicklitty/contemp romance, which ain't my bag, baby) or irrational (I just hate pink, k?)

But they are mine. And yours are yours, and no one else's business tbh. But because I will read a book by someone I think is a jerk, or you won't, it doesn't mean we get to tell each other how we should be picking our books, or slinging arrows because other people do it differently than us. Cos let's face it, we're all going to pick the books we will anyway....and this is a good thing, or we'd all only read the same few books, and then where would the industry be, huh?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
A question for those of you who do care about all that stuff: If an author was a wonderful person, supported all the right causes, adopted special needs children and rescued dogs, lived an organic/vegan/environmentally sustainable life, but his books were boring twaddle in a genre you didn't like, would you buy his books to be 'supportive'?

:rolleyes: :e2hammer: :e2zzz:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
i think what she means is, you are trying to "analyze" her book (but she uses the word "interrogate" to make it sound more aggressive?) but you have the wrong" ideas/point of view/expectations" in your head.

i might be totally wrong about what she meant though. she does tend to go overboard with thesaurus abuse sometimes and comes out with wacky word combos like this...

I've just read an article on IWTV that accuses the book [not Rice] of being homophobic and paedophillic. It was called Interrogating The Vampire, so I suspect the author was the target.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Guess I better keep my religion to myself just in case.

For the record, I'm not LDS, so it's safe to buy my books.

...Or is it?

To me, the issue isn't religion in particular. I judge religions on the same merits that I judge any organization or group. The LDS church gave a lot of money and effort to political movements that have sought to deny me my civil rights. It doesn't really matter to me if they're a religion doing that or a secular organization.

And I'm very wary of any of my money going to such an organization, directly or not.

I guess I would just be exhausted if I had to run a background check on every product I purchased to make sure the creators of such didn't do anything that violated my moral sensibilities.

And I don't think many people do do background checks. I sure don't. But if something comes to my attention that bothers me, how can I ignore that? And why should I?

We're way off topic here, so I'll just say that my point is, if you look hard enough, you'll always be able to find something that you don't agree with.

And that's why you have to prioritize. I doubt anyone here would refuse to read a book because, I don't know, they love bananas and they found out the author hates them.

There are some things I can accept, and others I can't. But if I find an author's beliefs or the organizations they support to be in the latter category, I'm not going to feel right ignoring that.

As to money going to support views I disagree with, why shouldn't that be the choice of the person I gave the money to? I paid for a product and the work that went into the product. I didn't buy the artist. The fact is that I'm not morally bereft because I read books by authors I disagree with or dislike as people. My values and outlook are just different than others who choose otherwise. I'm valuing the distinction between art and artist and disagree that association with one is an endorsement of the other on personal/political fields.

And that's okay. For me, I do feel like my values are jeopardized.

I'm also, I realized, viewing books in a different way from some of you. I don't believe I can toss a good book because of who the author is and not suffer because there are other books out there that are "just as good." Orson Scott Card, Ray Bradbury, and Octavia Butler are all science fiction writers, for instance, but I don't think their books are interchangeable at all. Tossing Ender's Game for a reread of The Martian Chronicles or Parable of the Sower would not provide the same experience to me. Thus I would be impoverished as a reader were I to do so. Others who don't see books in such an individual manner probably don't see things this way so I'm sure it's not as much of an issue to them.

*shrugs* I do see books in an individual manner. I can't see how I couldn't. So I don't think that's really the issue. To be honest, it's a little...insulting to imply that someone who doesn't want to read one author sees all books at interchangeable. We all have to make decisions about what books we want to read (unless you have unlimited time).

You can't "replace" a story, but you can find things you like better and that you're not uncomfortable reading. Why should I waste my time trying to force myself to feel okay about a writer and stories that I don't feel okay about?

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, once again because unlike Whimsical Rabbit, I started this thread and won't leave it alone...

If you continuously act like an ass online--anywhere, but let's use this board for an example--I won't be buying/reading your book. That's my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. And I already know such authors don't care and won't be impacted by my "pass" on their books, so no need to spell it out to me. ;) *I* care. That's all that matters to me.

So, having said that...I agree with Amadan's most recent post. Not everyone agrees. Some people don't give a toss if an author is the most obnoxious, vile creature on the planet. Personally, I'm not going to read anything by such a person. And I think it goes without saying that such people know who they are, etc. I'm not talking about a bad day or a one-off, I'm referring to people who are just jerks for the sake of being jerks. Like I said before---as if it's a game to them or a sign of mental illness or whatever. It's not that difficult to be diplomatic or professional, especially if you're trying to sell a product. I'm not even referring to political or religious views but personal conduct. Accountability for your actions.

The world of publishing goes on, with our without my support of A, B or C book. But in my little world, I rule. :D

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
:gone:

But... But... But: (violent horse abuse smilie removed)

I-I... I... :e2cry: But you'd still read my book, right? Cause... cause... I... I got a bunny avatar, right? :e2cry:

I repped you for the cutest bunny avi--I was one of the suckers! :D (Is your book about bunnies?)

And cease and desist with the horse beating! ;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
But they are mine. And yours are yours, and no one else's business tbh. But because I will read a book by someone I think is a jerk, or you won't, it doesn't mean we get to tell each other how we should be picking our books, or slinging arrows because other people do it differently than us.

... agreed.

Voice your opinions by all means no matter how much they differ from those of other members. Don't hesitate to do that for a moment! Just don't insist on people accepting your views.

If they're swayed by what you've got to say, they're swayed. If not, they're not and just leave it at that. The important thing is just getting a bunch of different perspectives on matters out there and available to be considered by everyone.

Not to claim dominance.

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
Only if you're a vegan who adopts special needs children and rescued dogs.

If you support me by purchasing my dull book, I'll be able to adopt special needs children and rescued dogs, and promote equality between all genders, and give peace a chance, and heal the world, and let it be. :yessmiley

(Is your book about bunnies?)

No, it's about death, alcoholism, and domestic abuse. I'm sure I can shove some bunnies in there though. :e2writer:

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say that I think my most recent comments were misunderstood? I was trying to make a point about my particular perspective, not judge anyone else's. When I said some people seem to see books as interchangeable I didn't mean they had no taste or didn't choose their books based on their own criteria, which seems to be how some people took it. I meant that if someone says they're not missing anything by choosing not to read one book as they can read another book that's just as good, they're treating those books as interchangeable. One can be exchanged for another. There have been a few comments along those lines in this thread and that's what I was thinking about. It wasn't an insult. And I wasn't aiming it at everyone who chooses not to read particular authors either. I realize that some recognize they might be missing out on enjoying an author's books and choose not to read them anyway. I just don't share the perspective that I'm not missing out at all if I choose to reject all of an author's books because I have issues with them personally or politically. All of which would be assuming you were interested in their books in the first place.

Bs_08

not so new kid, be gentle anyway!
Registered
Reaction score
I've just read an article on IWTV that accuses the book [not Rice] of being homophobic and paedophillic. It was called Interrogating The Vampire, so I suspect the author was the target.

oh that sounds really interesting! i just googled it and found some stuff, thank you! I think i'm going to have a lot of fun reading this!

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say that I think my most recent comments were misunderstood? I was trying to make a point about my particular perspective, not judge anyone else's. When I said some people seem to see books as interchangeable I didn't mean they had no taste or didn't choose their books based on their own criteria, which seems to be how some people took it. I meant that if someone says they're not missing anything by choosing not to read one book as they can read another book that's just as good, they're treating those books as interchangeable. One can be exchanged for another. There have been a few comments along those lines in this thread and that's what I was thinking about. It wasn't an insult. And I wasn't aiming it at everyone who chooses not to read particular authors either. I realize that some recognize they might be missing out on enjoying an author's books and choose not to read them anyway. I just don't share the perspective that I'm not missing out at all if I choose to reject all of an author's books because I have issues with them personally or politically. All of which would be assuming you were interested in their books in the first place.

Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't quite sure what to make of your initial statement.

I'm not sure I agree, though. Of course, I can't speak for everyone. But I don't think that saying you aren't missing anything by not reading a particular book implies interchangeability.

I mean, I don't like eating salmon. I've tried it a couple times, but I just can't stomach it. I really like catfish, though.

If I say I'm not missing out on anything by not eating salmon, it doesn't mean that I think I get the exact same experience eating catfish -- if I did, then I probably wouldn't like catfish.

Maybe salmon can be really great if you like it. And maybe Ender's Game is a really good book. But I don't like salmon, and my knowledge of Orson Scott Card and some of what I've read from him has hurt my ability to like or trust anything he has to say.

So I don't feel like I'm missing out. It's not like I'd really love to go get some salmon or read Orson Scott Card right now. I don't expect either experience would be enjoyable for me.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't quite sure what to make of your initial statement.

I'm not sure I agree, though. Of course, I can't speak for everyone. But I don't think that saying you aren't missing anything by not reading a particular book implies interchangeability.
So I don't feel like I'm missing out. It's not like I'd really love to go get some salmon or read Orson Scott Card right now. I don't expect either experience would be enjoyable for me.

Bolding is mine...

I agree. It's not about "giving something up" but making a conscious choice not to partake in something, in this instance, a book by a particular author(s). When I say there are thousands of other books available, I mean precisely what I'm saying... How can I regret not reading Author A or B's book when I have some many others to enjoy? For the most part, I personally had zero interest in reading Author A or B's books, a point virtue_summer brought up...

Hope that makes sense...

whimsical rabbit

Bunned
Registered
Reaction score
I understand and accept that I may be missing on some great writing. On the other hand, I do feel there's plenty of great writing out there. True, each book is unique, but the argument can work both ways if you see what I mean. I miss a great book, I find another.

The thing is, there are a few issues I feel very strongly about. As it happens, homophobia is one of them. It's not like I have an endless list of dislikes and go about rejecting every person that'd disagree with me about anything. At the end of the day if you are that dismissive as a person, chances are, it'll affect your every day relations as well.

I'm merely saying that if a public figure, a business, anyone is actively and emphatically involved in one of those few issues I so passionately campaign against, I'd feel as if betraying my morals, not by reading their work, but by actively boosting their pockets and ego.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good heavens. I went camping and come back and...and...

Time for a new thread to play in. This one is going nighty-night.

Status
Not open for further replies.