• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Secret Cravings Publishing

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As registration is optional, that is 100% normal for an epublisher.

I would agree with DW that for erotica and romance, publisher brand has a huge effect on sales.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
As for the promotion. Good luck finding an e pub that won't expect you to network and help promote. They are not expecting you to do all the work. But they are expecting their authors to be out there and active.

It's true that most e-pubs do have some clause about promotion in their contract, though the ones I've seen just require the author to promote their work "to the best of their ability," which is pretty unenforceable.

While it's good to have a blog or website for those who want to follow you, I have to question how much difference an author's promotional efforts make, overall. It seems to me like promoting your work unsolicited on the internet is the equivalent of sticking flyers in the doors of random people. There are just so many people out their trying to sell their stuff, it comes across as spam more often than not. (Though if anyone has information that contradicts this, I'd be interested in hearing.)

As others have said, a publisher's reputation is what sells e-books.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Given that the last post in this thread was nearly a year ago, I was wondering if anyone has any more recent/current experiences with this publisher? I know some people who are involved with them (one does their marketing/promo; the rest are authors) and have heard good things. Just wondering if anyone here has anything else to add. They have a line called "Weekend Getaways" which pay flat fees rather than royalties, and I have a couple of shorts I'm thinking about sending them.

WolfeMama

Registered
Reaction score
Given that the last post in this thread was nearly a year ago, I was wondering if anyone has any more recent/current experiences with this publisher? I know some people who are involved with them (one does their marketing/promo; the rest are authors) and have heard good things. Just wondering if anyone here has anything else to add. They have a line called "Weekend Getaways" which pay flat fees rather than royalties, and I have a couple of shorts I'm thinking about sending them.

I sent you a PM.

DexyDoo

I typed "semen" how many times???
Registered
Reaction score
Any new news on this one? I have a couple shorts collecting dust that I'm considering submitting there for the Weekend Getaways call.

Last edited:

justkeepswimming

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone published with them?

I subbed a week ago and received an email asking for what pen name I plan to publish under. I wonder if this is only because I failed to send all the information they need or if its a good sign. My neurotic mind has to read more into it :)
Has anyone published with Secret Cravings? I would love to know if they are a good choice.

missmaryb

ReadItWrite
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed them today after finding some of their books on Netgalley. I hope you get some good news soon, Karatemom!

Eva Lefoy

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writery.wordpress.com
I subbed a short to them last weekend and got a contract. This is in their Weekend Getaway line. Their editing and cover art process is QUICK! wow. They are not lolling about over there that's for sure. I can't wait to see what sales are for this short.

justkeepswimming

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Eva Lefoy! They sent an email informing me their current response time is 3 to 4 weeks.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
karatemom13, how soon after your sub did you receive that response? I subbed to them three days ago, and I extrapolated from their submissions guidelines that I should receive a confirmation email, or to resend, which I did. No confirmation to either. Maybe I missed something.

missmaryb

ReadItWrite
Registered
Reaction score
Just got the confirmation email saying that their response time is 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:

justkeepswimming

Registered
Reaction score
karatemom13, how soon after your sub did you receive that response?

I received the confirmation about 24 hours after I subbed. Then I've had a couple emails with questions about pen name, series name etc. Really hope that means they are interested.

I'd email them again just to confirm receipt if it were me. They seem to respond within a day or two. Good luck!

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Ah-hah, I received the response email at 7:26 a.m. Pacific time, approx. one hour after I posted here in AW. Good to know they received it (twice). I hope the questions posed to you, karatemom13, mean something fruitful will occur!

missmaryb

ReadItWrite
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping on to let you guys know I received an offer from them today! I'm kind of in shock right now since this was my first round of submissions and was not even out for two weeks with this one. I requested two weeks to contact the other publishers that have my manuscript before accepting.

Good luck to anybody still waiting!

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Congratulations, missmaryb! Awesome news.

And an OMG from me--I just received an acceptance email for my Erotic Romance.

Last edited:

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Yeah (scratches head). Funny thing is, the novel is about "mature" lovers. None of these twenty-somethings doing it, I've got senior citizens in the sack. Amazing.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It's true that most e-pubs do have some clause about promotion in their contract, though the ones I've seen just require the author to promote their work "to the best of their ability," which is pretty unenforceable.

While it's good to have a blog or website for those who want to follow you, I have to question how much difference an author's promotional efforts make, overall. It seems to me like promoting your work unsolicited on the internet is the equivalent of sticking flyers in the doors of random people. There are just so many people out their trying to sell their stuff, it comes across as spam more often than not. (Though if anyone has information that contradicts this, I'd be interested in hearing.)

As others have said, a publisher's reputation is what sells e-books.
Yeah I've heard about one of the new digital only (epub) lines of the Big Five hounding authors via email about doing their own promo. I'm talking about one of the Big Five!