Where to Sell Your Novel/Story

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
All right. I'm going to try to forward this attachment on this reply, but it might not work. If it doesn't, then busy Cathy will have to give me a clue on how to do it. Or I guess I could forward it to her. Hmm

Stay tuned!!

Nope it isn't working. So please be patient.

:) Josie

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a link to Juno so we can check out their web site?

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the website for JUNO

http://www.juno-books.com/

The site looks great to me and so do the books, though I haven't read any of them. Being in Canada, I see they are sold in our bookstores, and there's plenty of them.

What's the opinions?

Cheeers, Josie

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I know of at least two very fantastic books in Juno's catalogue....

ETA: Make that "three." I know of at least three fantastic books...

Last edited:

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Pepper:

What is the name of your novel with Juno?

It looks like a very interesting publisher. I can't find anything about their royalties, etc.

Guess I'll have to write the editor.

Cheers, Josie

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Our first book with Juno is Chasing Silver, which is one of the four novels they're releasing as a mass market paperback. Paula has also accepted its sequel, Touching Silver.

I don't remember the royalty rate, but they do pay a $500 advance.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic. A couple of successful writers!! and I was there! :)

Chasing Silver won't be out at the bookstore here until Sept.1/07.

It looks good. I shall be sure to purchase it.

I've never tried time travel to write myself so I am intrigued to see yours.

:)

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy, I have tried to pull up the submission guildlines for Treble Heart Books, but it is not coming up. Have they changed their policies?

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
The royalty rate for Juno is 8% on the cover price.

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Could be. Our terms is 8% on trade and mass market.

ZannaPerry

^ Just Me & a Sharpie
Registered
Reaction score
I still need to write my first big novel, but I have written several romantic short stories. Can those be published??

pepperlandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I still need to write my first big novel, but I have written several romantic short stories. Can those be published??

Depends on what you're looking for. I know epublishers will buy shorter stories.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
I think we can declare Amatory Ink dead -- the website's been AWOL for months.

Loose Id terms -- 35% of cover price on ebooks sold through their own website, 50% of net on ebooks sold through distributors. One year option on print rights -- I'll need to dig out my contract to see what the % is on print books, but it's on cover price.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy: I believe you have a new novel out this month?
Looks good. Congrats.

I've tried to bring up Tor's guidelines as per your web address for Publisher's Guidelines, but it doesn't work

Cheers, Josie

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Remember that there's a vast difference between "net" and "list." "Net" means that the royalty is applied after the costs of the publisher are deducted from the price. Let's look at two scenarios:

Cerridwen says they pay 40% of net. Let's take a novel that costs $4.99 on their site and say that website maintenance for that novel's page is $.50 per book, cover art is $.50, advertising is another $.30, payroll/salary for the owners and freelance editors is $.50, equipment rental for computers and such is another $.25 per book. All of these costs are perfectly reasonable costs of doing business for the publisher and the contract states that each author agrees to pay them. What does that leave? The "net" price of the book is $2.94, of which the author receives 40%, or $1.18 per sale. Now, that's not all that bad---provided the author is fairly clear on what constitutes the fees/costs withdrawn from the list price. I wouldn't sign any net contract unless I either had a conversation with the publisher about that, or limited the costs to a fixed percentage of the list price, because let's face it . . . almost ANYTHING can be deemed to be a "cost of doing business." How many of us deduct on our taxes for dining out with clients, attending conferences, hotel, airfare, etc.? How about late fees when paying bills or high interest rates on credit cards? All "costs of doing business" if a publisher isn't reputable and chooses to include them. What can happen is that instead of a $2.94 net price, it's a $.94 net price, of which the author receives half.

That's not to say that Cerridwen isn't completely reputable, because they are and their costs strictly relate to the costs to produce THAT ONE book--from what their authors have related to me. But understanding how "net" works is valuable to an author. You always have to think on your toes when signing your name to a long document.

On the other hand, the 8% paid by larger commercial publishers is based on LIST price, or the price on the book's cover. So, a $6.99 book will give the author $.56 per sale. No deductions, no changes.

But $40K to $50K per book isn't completely realistic, either. Most romance novels work out to be from $12K to $18K per title, depending on the subgenre and the popularity of the author.

I know epub authors who make excellent money. I know print pub authors who make so-so money, and vice-versa. They're two halves of a whole, so choosing between them isn't merely an issue of who pays more. A good commercial print publisher and a good commercial epublisher wind up paying about the same in reality. The smaller epubs are similar to a small print press. They don't have as much exposure to the public, so while they pay okay royalties, the number of sales aren't high.

Just remember to always think in terms of "net" versus "list" when you're considering numbers. :)

Last edited:

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cathy. You've opened my eyes more.

I knew about the net but not to the degree you're explaining...
and now the list price ...
that was the word I was looking for.

It would be nice to be an Harlequin author but then as you say that varies depending on the subgenre and the popularity of the author?
That does seem fair doesn't it? As it depends on sales made?

Cheers, Josie :)

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Oops, I had another question for you, Cathy :)

ie: HQN mainstream:

Looking at the eharlequin.com site there is a definite variety in some of the list prices of the HQN mainstream novels.

Is that because of the popularity of the author or the subgenre?

Thanks.