• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] McGinniss Associates

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. I found an agency without an AW thread.

These folks have a website (no listed sales or clients)
http://mcginnissassociates.com/index.html and are on AgentQuery (but not QueryTracker or P & E). http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=1124

Relevant google hits are slight. The firm name yields the website. Googling on the "James McGinniss literary agent" gets me an interview where one author mentions working with him while he was at Vigliano, but not that he placed any book. I can't find any relevant hits for the other agent, Barry Zucker.

Just thought every agency needs a thread ...

If I've overlooked something, let me know.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
There are no deals on PM for this agency, either, nor for the two agents you mention, from October 2000 onward; though James McGinniss is listed under contacts as an agent of McGinniss Associates in New York City. No member page on PM. It may be worth a query, though it seems like a very new agency to me. They mention on their home page "we only take on a limited number clients, so that we better serve our authors and help them reach their maximum potential" - public presentation is everything, take it from me, I co-manage an entertainment/education business, so I understand that concept. However, while the site puts forth a certain professionalism, without being able to get any tangibles on a track record suggests someone new to the business. Mr. McGinniss' mention of working for Vigliano, could mean he either was an agent (with no sales listed under PM), or an intern. Either way, it's a phrase put forth for professional appearance, and somewhat ambiguous. Hopefully there's a AW member who can enlighten this thread further.

rjerome

Registered
Reaction score
The agency is now listed on Querytracker. However, still no sales or solid information.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I see there are sales listed on AgentQuery now.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Yeah, but the sales were made prior to their opening in February 2010. I'm not sure whose sales they were. . .

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm naive ... but wouldn't they be James McGinniss', since they are listed on his AgentQuery page?

I really do need to subscribe to PM. But I've been trying to crank out the first draft of my next book before Christmas and thought I'd better wait. I get distracted.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I think they are a "no response means no interest" agency - I queried back on 10/16/10, and have heard nothing to date (and I check my spam box all the time as well).

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I took the plunge and subscribed to PM in Dec. I've learned a lot from the site, so it's been worth the money. Plus it is tax-deductible, yay!

evol_reed

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody received a response to a query from this agency? At querytracker the stats show that no users of the site have received a response.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
Pretty sure it's not GOOD news, but they have a proposal on sub from the guy from The Dirty that got leaked to Gawker by someone working at one of the Big Six.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers Marketplace reports three sales over the past 6 months.

brandon.tietz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a client. He just started doing my pitches, so it's going to be a bit before I actually hear anything back.

biggerbrowneyes

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of querying them. Jim, how long did it take Barry Zucker to respond?

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
I've just sent off a query, but the company does seem like they wouldn't be the type to respond back unless they're really keen on the work.

biggerbrowneyes, I would go a head and query them anyway. Because really, what have you got to lose?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Any news on these guys? Their website is vague at best.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Erm, what site are you visiting? Right below the logo are four links, one of which is "Submissions & Queries".