So you've won awards, won the hugo four times, won nebulas and yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score
Some of the biggest names in the genre are not currently published in the UK - Connie Willis is another, and she's won more awards than any living writer except possibly Harlan Ellison.

That's interesting, considering many of her books are set in England.

kurzon

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting.
You have a problem finding Lois in the UK;
I have the precise same problem with Diana Wynne-Jones in the US.

You might have better luck if you don't hyphenate her middle name and her surname together.

As for Bujold - the Book Depository seems to have her latest relatively reasonably priced...

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781439133941/Cryoburn

Indeed, with its free international shipping, that's where I've sourced my copy from.

Support your local brick and mortar by all means, but if they can't get it they can't get it and there should be no problem using a reputable online firm. Go to secondhand only if you can't get it new or if there's ridiculous overpricing issues.

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
That's just wrong. I love LMB. Another reason brick and mortar bookstores are gonna go extinct. Probably in the next 5 years.
No they won't. What will happen is the better stores will survive, esp the independents.

In San Francisco, we have Borderlands Books. All SF/F; they have everything; if they don't have it, they'll get it. The staff is so knowledgeable that if you can't remember the title and author of the book you want, but can describe what it's about, they can usually come up with the answer. They have author readings. They do events.

They have a large dedicated group of customers who always buy their books there even if the same books are discounted on line or at a chain somewhere.

Of course, SF is not a normal American city.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
( I like to support my local bookshop but...).

WTF?

And yet there's a shed load of stuff I don't want there.

/rant off and goes to bloody amazon.

Try Swap.com. (not spamming you...really, I'm not)

Get those books out of your shed, and trade 'em for the stuff you want now. I haven't 'bought' a new book in two years, and manage to keep myself in books to read. And I read a lot. :)

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
A friend and I like saying that authors name so much (it bubbles from the tongue, it does), we say "For the love of Lois McMaster Bujold!" in cases of book related frustration.
I would only wish to have your troubles so I could invoke her name while looking for her books and open some sort dimensional portal.

Lois McMaster Bujold, like CJ Cherryh and Lynn Flewelling, is one of those authors whose names I would love to say aloud, but I'm so terrified of getting it wrong that I tend to refer to them by first name (and hope the listener will figure it out), or to refer to by picking up one of their books and gesculating desperatly at the title. Bubbles from the tongue, you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.