The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Kaye & Mills

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian Brian P. White's Avatar

[Agency] Kaye & Mills

Anyone have any experience with Kaye & Mills? They're a law firm that does entertainment law.

Site: http://www.kayemills.com/

PM: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jessicak/

BTW, hi, I'm new:^)

I queried them and Jessica Kaye took a partial, then said that my work isn't ready for publication, that it would benefit from a professional editor, and that she could recommend one (though unsure of the rates). She was very nice ... so much that she offered to look at my partial again to show me what kind of editing help I need (after I thanked her for her opinion ... kinda doing/learning all this by myself ... and you guys).

Any other experience?

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    Anyone who recommends an editor is treading on shaky ground, but she has a $ on P&E so she's probably kosher.

Just to be on the safe side I wouldn't take her recommendation on an editor though, find one through here or elsewhere.

It's true what they say about Unicorns, I have video proof!

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    She may mean well, but someone acting as an agent recommending an editor isn't kosher. Often the only reason it's done is because someone's getting a kickback per recommendation. They sound more like someone you would go to if you approached a publisher on your own and wanted to make sure the contract was okay. I don't know how well they would be able to actually sell a book to publishers, though it's not unheard of. I think there are some agents who are lawyers, but someone could correct me if I'm wrong.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian Brian P. White's Avatar
    From what I can tell, it's a law firm that handles entertainment. I don't think they go as far as calling themselves agents.

If that's the case, is there the wrong place to put this thread?

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    No, it's still good info. There's nothing wrong with them at all, they're probably really good lawyers and having an IP lawyer (or at least knowing the name of one should you need one) could be good for an author. They just wouldn't be who I'd go to to try and sell a book is all. I don't think Ms. Kaye meant it in any other way except to try and be helpful.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    What P&E says is "$ Believed to be a literary agency. Further information unavailable." So that isn't really an endorsement.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Going by her PM page, only one sale since '09 (to a solid pub, but one which doesn't require an agent).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Recent sales to Polis and Arcade.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: