The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vantage Press

figuring it all out

Smile Vantage Press

I am seeking to either self publish or seeking a publisher willing to take on my fiction novel, it's mainly for me. Just curious. CM

practical experience, FTW
    I think you mean "subsidy" publishing, not "subsidiary."

If you want to pay to have some copies of your book, I'd suggest investigating POD rather than Vantage. It will be much cheaper, and you'll get a nice-looking book that is available in unlimited quantities, but which you can just buy a few of if you wish.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Or you can go with Lulu.com. It's free self-publishing, and I hear the product is pretty good. You can also set the price(above what lulu charges you for each copy), which means you determing how big a royalty you want.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Vantage spends big bucks to mail out promo kits to writers (I guess they find us on the net) --every year or so they send me a large ms. submission envelope, addressed to them, and some other materials. I'd follow the advice of the others.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    For a full discussion of why a publisher like Vantage is not a good idea (and also why there's really no such thing anymore as a subsidy publisher) see Writer Beware's Vanity Publishers page.

- Victoria

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    We've all heard of Vantage Press. They're one of the oldest vanity presses, but a vanity press just the same.

If all you want is a couple of copies of your book, nicely bound, go to Kinko's.

=========

Before you consider self or vanity publishing, ask yourself: What exactly are your goals? How will you know when you've achieved them?
    Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 09-22-2005 at 09:37 PM.

figuring it all out

Red face Vanity & Subsidy publishing

Thank you to all

Bliss-ninny
    POD seems to be a pretty good setup, anybody with personal experience in that area?
    I'd make a vegetarian stew, except it's against the law to cook people in the United States.-Frank

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Why do you think it's a pretty good setup? Whose setup have you considered?
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

What are your goals, Tertius?

Unless you have some method of distribution outside of the normal system (if, for example, you're planning to sell copies from the back of the hall after you give a speech), POD is a lousy idea.

Bliss-ninny
    Ok, perhaps these two responses have answered my question. I looked into a site awhile ago that seemed to be a pretty good idea. They claimed to market the book through a number of online bookstores, allow the author to retain rights, and pay royalties. Apparently, it wasn't just a "get your book printed" setup. Hey, I could do that, it's really the marketing and sales support that I need, and exposure, of course.
    My primary objective is to, at least, subsidize my income by doing what I love most.
    I'd make a vegetarian stew, except it's against the law to cook people in the United States.-Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Tertius
    My primary objective is to, at least, subsidize my income by doing what I love most.
    Then there's no subsitute for going with a real, live, commercial publisher.

The only thing you have to do is write a book that's good enough.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tertius
    Ok, perhaps these two responses have answered my question. I looked into a site awhile ago that seemed to be a pretty good idea. They claimed to market the book through a number of online bookstores
    In a nutshell, this is why POD is not a good bet for most writers. For books to sell, they need to be in brick-and-mortar stores, where most people still do their bookbuying (less than 10% of all books are sold online). For various reasons, POD-published books don't generally wind up on bookstore shelves.

- Victoria

Bliss-ninny
    (less than 10% of all books are sold online).

Did not know that, I would have thought it much higher. However, I understand the sentiment. Book-browsing is a very unique experience. I know when I had my used-book store people would come in and browse for hours, then walk out with nothing. I am the same way, but I usually find something that really hits me.
    Anyway, thank for the feedback, folks.

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe. badducky's Avatar

Anyone see this Vantage ad on the History channel?

I just saw an ad about Vantage Press...

"Are you an author in search of a publisher? Call now for information on how to etc, etc, etc..."

A Vanity Press that can afford cable advertising.

At least they're relatively honest about being DiY vanity press.

I wonder if they are so honest about the costs of storing and selling manuscripts.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Dear God!

I can't believe they're still around!

Vantage Press must be one of the oldest vanity presses around. I sent them my first novel over twenty years ago, and they offered to publish it for $7,000. Yes, it was that bad.

I figure if they've been around this long, under the same name, that gives them a sort of legitimacy in and of itself.
    Please be gentle... I'm doing the best I can!
    Debut novel out from Simon & Schuster in 2016

Heh. Yeah, if a pay-to-play outfit can keep their customers happy for that long, they're serving their market well.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Vantage is part of the proof that PA could be honest and still make a profit.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Yup, same old Vantage. Been around forever. Less toxic than most.

Vantage even hires copyeditors. Of course, they pay them substandard rates, they don't supervise them, and they'll let them do anything to the books; but they do hire them.

Basically, Vantage is a professed whore. You know what you're buying, and you get what you pay for.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Wibbly-Wobbly. Timey-Wimey.
    Haha -- cool. It pleases me to know such a thing exists.

So, does that mean that going through PublishAmerica is like going home with a MOYPS (Member Of Your Preferred Sex) from the bar and then finding a bill on your pillow in the morning?

It's more like starting to itch several days later, and having to hit up your family and friends for money to pay the doctor cuz they won't take PA as insurance.
    ICAO
    ---------

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment astonwest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirensix
    Vantage Press must be one of the oldest vanity presses around. I sent them my first novel over twenty years ago, and they offered to publish it for $7,000. Yes, it was that bad.
    Just over ten years ago, the price for my first novel was $10K.
    I wonder what it's at now...

Big Daddy West
    Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
    I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    A quote $23,000 dollars, but we have to market ourselves to achieve sales! This was a lower end offer as well.

practical experience, FTW rejectME's Avatar

Even Newsweek!

I was killing myself on the eliptical the other night and reading Newsweek for whatever reason. Anyway, under a picture of Iran's president was an ad for Vantage. It was about one inch by one inch. It was pretty funny...
    Please check out and "Like" my Facebook author page for info on current publications, WIP, and non-fiction work. If you have a page, I'd be happy to return the favor!

"In the end, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it." ~Norman McLain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast