• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ladybird Critique Service

Kateness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kateness.wordpress.com
We just find it suspicious when someone joins the forum and their first post is to reassure everyone that some critiquing service/publisher/agent is totally above-the-board and legit. And that then all their following posts are to that same thread, reassuring everyone with absolutely no proof whatsoever of what they are saying or why they suddenly decided to join the forum and jump into the conversation

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
My connection---I live in New York and know people in the publishing industry. LOL Actually, I understand everyone's concern but I thought you guys would like to know this critique service is legit. That's all. :)
All kinds of businesses are legit. That doesn't mean they have value.

Even if they have a business license and the experience they claim to have, it's not something authors need to spend money on.

And if the owners/operators do have NY editing experience, they would know this. Which makes the decision to operate such a business a questionable one.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
EIC:
I have it on good authority that Lady Bird Critique is legit.

Who is that "good authority"? Is that "good authority" a qualified editor working at a legitimate and respected editing company, or did you just hear a rumour somewhere that it was legit?

EIC:
From what I've heard in the rumor mills, the critique agency was formed by a group of editors who work full time at various big name magazines.

Okay, so the source of your "good authority" is an unnamed rumour mill. Yeah, that's always reassuring.

If these editors are working full time at magazines, then that suggests this business is at best a sideline for them.

EIC:
do not reveal their names because their employers have not yet approved this sideline business.

If they need employer's permission and have not obtained it, then they shouldn't be soliciting clients. Any lawyer worth their salt will tell them that soliciting and taking money without permission is breach of contract, opening them up to potential damages. Any editor who knows they need permission and goes ahead and sets up a business regardless is an idiot and I wouldn't want an idiot anywhere near my manuscript - regardless of who they worked for.

EIC:
But from what I have heard, they are slammed with manuscripts.

Yeah, but we've already established that the source of your information is rumour mills so really - not so much with the credibility there, love.

EIC:
I may give them a try.

Cool. Let them know that you need darning as a sockpuppet while you're at it - your posts here are full of holes ...

EIC:
As I said, they have been slammed with manuscripts so I doubt they care whether or not you take a step back. LOL

Yeah, but as we've all said - you're clearly a sockpuppet here with an agenda and no independent, credible support for your assertions.

LOL.

EIC:
I am just saying the business is legit.

No. You said that you had it on good authority that the business is legit and then you cited rumour mills as your supporting evidence for that assertion.

Unless you're now saying that you have something to do with this editing company or have used their services, your opinion means diddly squat.

EIC:
I don't know of any other critique service that has professional magazine editors to critique the stories.

Again, no.

You said that you've heard on a rumour mill that it's being staffed by professional magazine editors. There is nothing to verify that and the fact that their site is full of ... well, bullshit would be putting it kindly, it kind of suggests that they wouldn't know a professional magazine editor if s/he danced naked in front of them while singing the "I'm a professional editor (part 1)" song.

EIC:
It's a good deal and I am glad it is available.

It's not a good deal and only someone utterly clueless about how editing works would think otherwise.

EIC:
My connection---I live in New York and know people in the publishing industry.

And? Who are these people? What do they do? Are they connected with Ladybird? Have they used their services?

Saying this is like me telling you that I live in London and once walked past the offices for Penguin books, as a justification for this editing service being a great service for writers.

EIC:
I understand everyone's concern but I thought you guys would like to know this critique service is legit.

And we've established that you apparently have no supporting evidence or credentials to support this assertion.

Thank you for your contribution though. It's been illuminating (and by "illuminating" I mean "meaningless").

MM

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
And because it's always time for a flog ...

Ladybird Critique Website:
Our editors have extensive experience in working for major publishing houses and know the inside scoop on how to make a short romantic story work for popular magazines.

Editors claiming this experience need to show those credentials by posting their CVs showing where that experience was gained.

For example: Our editors will evaluate your romance and mini mystery story for a nominal fee of 24.95

What's the point of having your story evaluated? It's the acquiring editor who makes the decision, not Ladybird.

On checking out their payment page, it seems that $24.95 only gets you a critique of stories up to 3,000 words. If you have something longer, then you have to fill out a form to get a quote - I would usually expect a professional editing company to give an indication of likely rates on its website before inviting people to ask for a quotation so that they can evaluate the service up front.

How many writers get acceptance letters from WW and other magazines after your critique?

About 60 percent of our clients receive a contract after our critique, and another 20 percent begin receiving constructive comments on their rejection letters.

That's a meaningless statistic. How many writers are we talking about here?

Couldn’t I get the same thing at a creative writing class?

English Professors do not have the inside scoop on how to write formula stories for mass market magazines. At best, they can help you to tap into your creative process and help you to publish through an academic press.

Bullshit. A creative writing course won't guarantee publication, but it can help you hone your craft - and so can joinining a real world or on-line critique group.

And as someone who's done an MA in Creative Writing and who belongs to a critique group, I'd point out that I got an agent and a short story published, which was greatly aided by both.

Editors read the first page of a manuscript, sometimes only the first paragraph before tossing it into the slush pile or offering you a contract.

This is baloney, for the reasons that others have stated.

MM

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
What's been said, brilliantly, by Momento Mori. :Thumbs:

This "service" is a waste of time and money.

"Editors who work full time at various big name magazines" do not have the time for this nonsense.

They're too busy working (ahem!) FULL TIME for their various magazines so they may keep their jobs.

Publishers of all levels are laying off people and the ones left are wearing a dozen hats to keep a check coming in.

EIC, the pros here are calling shenanigans on your unsupported statements.

Ladybird or Lady Bird--however you spell it--have the grace to retire before things get bloodier for your poor little sock puppet.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another good reason to take a step back. While the business is up and running now, we have no guarantee it's even going to be there next week.

As I said, they have been slammed with manuscripts so I doubt they care whether or not you take a step back. LOL
Stay klassy. :Thumbs:

EIC

Registered
Reaction score
All of you are too funny! :) If you spend this much energy on your writing then you'll be a big success. Good luck to all.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
English Professors do not have the inside scoop on how to write formula stories for mass market magazines. At best, they can help you to tap into your creative process and help you to publish through an academic press.

Guess they haven't met my son's current English prof. He's only a Hugo nominee, so what does he know about creative writing that sells? (/sarcasm)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the smell of toasty warm sockpuppets in the morning. :rolleyes:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
All of you are too funny! :) If you spend this much energy on your writing then you'll be a big success. Good luck to all.

Maybe if these editors were any good at their job, they wouldn't be squeezing money out of people who don't know better.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

Darnit, here I thought I was doing okay with my writing. Clearly I don't count as a Real Professional until I open a bogus critique service to prey on innocent people who want to write for Women's World. THEN it will be accepted as gospel that I totally know what I'm talking about.

My connection---I...know people in the publishing industry.

Guess what? So do I. :) Quite a few of them, including real, professional editors at major publishing houses (Del Rey, Pocket, Penguin Ace, Tor, HarperUK; do you need their names?). Those editors barely have time to do their own work, much less to take on a second job reading more slush and writing detailed critiques. I can't imagine magazine editors, who have to get an issue together and out every month, are somehow less busy.

Not to mention that none of the professional editors I know (nor, for that matter, the many literary agents I know) would ever make some of the mistakes on that website, nor would they make up crappy excuses like "testimonials would violate confidentiality." Nor would they show up here and sockpuppet; they'd tell us flat-out who they were, and if they didn't want to give their names publicly they'd offer to give it privately so we could verify their identities; that's happened before, and the names have stayed confidential but at least we've been able to report in the threads that credentials have been given and accepted.

If you want to use the "service," you go ahead. It's your money. But don't come in here trying to somehow wow us all by claiming you "live in New York" and thus "know people." It's always good to take a look at to whom you're speaking before trying to fake some sort of special knowledge for yourself.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I live in New York, but all my friends are dead or in prison

Deleted member 42

I am just saying the business is legit. I don't know of any other critique service that has professional magazine editors to critique the stories. It's a good deal and I am glad it is available.

They are semi-literate, at best, or they would never have produced this gem:

Our editors have extensive experience in working for major publishing houses and know the inside scoop on how to make a short romantic story work for popular magazines.

It's redundant, uses prepositional phrases to an extent that would make an editor break out in hives, and they misuse the word scoop.

Honestly, this looks like the sort of thing I'd expect from freshmen comp students.

Pass.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Well, THIS has been amusing.

Hope that flounce was sincere. There's only so much hilarity I can take in 24 hours.

witness-protection-program-dog-witness-protection-program-mo-demotivational-poster-1260374805.jpg

Tallent

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm fun at parties

What kind of parties are they if your friends are dead?

Sounds like a good book premise. But you better check with the Ladybird service first.

Last edited: