AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ladybird Critique Service

Frustrated Pluviophile seaaircarol's Avatar

Ladybird Critique Service

http://www.ladybirdcritique.com/5301.html

What do you guys think of this?

The writers on the Woman's World forum are mostly skeptical. I submitted a comment to the website saying it would be great if they listed the titles of the stories that have been accepted after they had been critiqued. I received a reply back saying their privacy policy doesn't allow them to release author names. But that's not what I'd asked for.
    The Princess and the Poison, the first cozy in the Storybook Park Mystery series, is now available at most e-book retailers.

www.carolayer.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Considering they can't decide whether their name is Ladybird or Lady Bird .... pass.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hadn't noticed that!

Good point.
    The Princess and the Poison, the first cozy in the Storybook Park Mystery series, is now available at most e-book retailers.

www.carolayer.com

I also noticed an issue or two with commas and periods on that page. Anyway, they should list the titles of stories that were accepted after their critiques. How else can they back up their claims? And why not give more information about their "extensive experience"? Sigh.
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    you'd have to want to be robbed to even consider something like this.
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

If you can meet your general writing expenses then you can afford Lady Bird critique services. For example: Our editors will evaluate your romance and mini mystery story for a nominal fee of 24.95
    What the HELL does that even mean.

Run. Run fast and don't look back.
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet

From the "Woman's World" page:

http://www.ladybirdcritique.com/4752.html

Editors read the first page of a manuscript, sometimes only the first paragraph before tossing it into the slush pile or offering you a contract.

Umm...no.

They may toss it after one paragraph, but they're certainly not going to offer a contract after one paragraph. Either this shows a stunning lack of knowledge or the inability to correctly craft a sentence. Either way, this is no place to pay for professional advice.

I'm glad the ladies at the Woman's World forums know better.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

I've had another email exchange with "Ladybird." She (he?) said that they won't list titles, because titles are tied to names, and many writers don't want their work to be linked with an editing service. And, although they might consider it in the future, she/he doesn't like the idea of posting testimonials because it violates their confidentiality policy.

If the author agreed to it, how could it violate the policy?
    Last edited by seaaircarol; 09-30-2010 at 04:52 AM.

www.carolayer.com

Quote Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post
    I've had another email exchange with "Ladybird." She (he?) said that they won't list titles, because titles are tied to names, and "many writers don't wish for their work to be identified with an editing service." And, although they might consider it in the future, she/he doesn't like the idea of posting testimonials because it violates their confidentiality policy.

If the author agreed to it, how could it violate the policy?
    don't waste your time emailing this person.
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet

Thanks. Yeah, I'm done.

www.carolayer.com

Editors read the first page of a manuscript, sometimes only the first paragraph before tossing it into the slush pile or offering you a contract.
    Toss it *into* the slush pile????? Freudian, you think?
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lady Bird Critique Services

I have it on good authority that Lady Bird Critique is legit. From what I've heard in the rumor mills, the critique agency was formed by a group of editors who work full time at various big name magazines. They do not reveal their names because their employers have not yet approved this sideline business. But from what I have heard, they are slammed with manuscripts. I may give them a try.
    Last edited by EIC; 09-30-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: proofing

Banned
    I thought editors 'got' the manuscript from a slushpile.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    They do. I, for one, would be wary of an editing service which displays such fundamental errors in both editing and understanding.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Who is the good authority?

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EIC View Post
    I have it on good authority that Lady Bird Critique is legit. From what I've heard in the rumor mills, the critique agency was formed by a group of editors who work full time at various big name magazines. They do not reveal their names because their employers have not yet approved this sideline business. But from what I have heard, they are slammed with manuscripts. I may give them a try.
    Another good reason to take a step back. While the business is up and running now, we have no guarantee it's even going to be there next week.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Really? But, erm, wouldn't editors at big-name magazines know how publishing actually works and therefore not say rubbish like this:

Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    And your connection with them is......?

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you mscelina's Avatar
    Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
    Could it be because running a critique service involves those *editors who work at big time magazines* in a serious conflict of interest?

Here's the thing: writers need to know how to edit and proof their own manuscripts. Period. "Good authority" isn't good enough. Lots of scams have "good authority." A legitimate business run by legitimate editors not only cite the editors' names and experience, but also list past and current clients and titles of works. For any critique service to claim this as a violation of confidentiality is enough to raise red flags.

And when the only information about the said service comes from rumor mills, it raises a fleet of red flags.

As I said, they have been slammed with manuscripts so I doubt they care whether or not you take a step back. LOL

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    As I said, they have been slammed with manuscripts so I doubt they care whether or not you take a step back. LOL
    Perhaps not, but people here care about whether authors are getting value for their money. This service doesn't appear to have any value. And unwitting authors need to know that.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

PA is slammed with manuscripts everyday. Your point is?
    Last edited by brainstorm77; 09-30-2010 at 08:07 PM.

I am just saying the business is legit. I don't know of any other critique service that has professional magazine editors to critique the stories. It's a good deal and I am glad it is available.

I am just saying the business is legit. I don't know of any other critique service that has professional magazine editors to critique the stories. It's a good deal and I am glad it is available.
    Enjoy. So what's your connection with them?
    Last edited by brainstorm77; 09-30-2010 at 08:16 PM.

LadyBird Critique

My connection---I live in New York and know people in the publishing industry. LOL Actually, I understand everyone's concern but I thought you guys would like to know this critique service is legit. That's all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast