• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Rebel ePublishers

ray wenck

Day Dream Believer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone with any experience or knowledge of this company? I tried their web but it wouldn't go through. Jayne Southern asked for a full.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ray, do you have a link? There are several presses with "Rebel" in their name.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Is it this one (based in South Africa)? --> http://www.rebelepublishers.com/

Here is a link to their submissions guidelines:
http://www.rebelepublishers.com/?Task=CompanyInfo&CategoryID=10631

They say that they accept most genres of fiction. For a small e-publisher, that's often not a good choice -- they are better off specializing. They also don't have enough information. They don't tell you how much they will pay or if they will try to charge you, how they will pay you, etc. Also, what about currency exchange (as they are in South Africa)?

According to their About page, they were incorporated in 2008, but they only have eight books available for sale. That might mean that they are picky, but it could also mean they a little slow. (After all, Penguin is picky, but many of their imprints publish more than eight books a month. :D)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
On the submission page they seem to be directing authors to pay for editing, including potentially paying one of the founders of the press as a freelance editor.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
On the submission page they seem to be directing authors to pay for editing, including potential paying one of the founders of the press as a freelance editor.
Oooh, sneaky. They even have a link to her website.

And now I notice that there is a PDF of a sample contract on the Submissions page as well. Duh, Anne. :tongue

"At heart we are a Writers Publisher for Writers"

Huh? What about the... readers?

ray wenck

Day Dream Believer
Registered
Reaction score
That is the publisher. Sorry to have you look it up for me but for some reason it kept coming back as an errror. I'm very new with contracts although I'm a little ahead of the game here. One has not been offered. Still it can't hurt to learn more about it. I have read the contract posted. What things other than what currency the royalty is paid in should I be concerned about?
Oh, and thank you all for responding.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
What things other than what currency the royalty is paid in should I be concerned about?
Oh, and thank you all for responding.

You should be concerned about everything the others have brought up. The lack of specialization, the very few titles available after two years in business, and especially the "pay for edits" bit.

None of the principals of the company have any publishing experience. That should be a dealbreaker right there.

Additionally, the contract...is not good.

It doesn't ever specify exactly what rights you're assigning to the publisher. That's kind of important. It doesn't specify if it's World rights or specific countries (it lists Amazon as a distributor, although it doesn't appear to offer Kindle books. Not to mention Amazon is a retailer not a distributer, which implies they don't know what a distributer actually is). It doesn't specify whether or not they take any foreign language rights.

The option clause is scarily broad; "right of first refusal on subsequent works by the author?" They could conceivably force you to submit every book you ever write to them.

Payment isn't clearly explained, and it's on net, and it looks to me like a weird way of doing it and not a good one, although math isn't my strong suit.

The contract prevents the author from using the cover in any way except "thumbnails for promotional purposes." It also prevents the author from using the publisher's logo. That's just odd.

There is no actual amount of time specified for the work to be published; it says "3 months from galleys" but never says anything about the period it may take to get galleys. The contract period runs from 3 years after publication. Thus the work could be contracted indefinitely.

And...there is no exit clause; there is no way to determine if a work goes out of print, there is no way to terminate a contract early. That's not good news.

There's actually nothing about this publisher that shouldn't concern you, to be honest. My advice is to look for a real publisher for your work, unless you're hoping no one will ever read it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Rebel Publishing Website:
Providing a space where Authors can market their work to the world at large with fair returns for themselves

Authors shouldn't have to market their work to the world at large. That is the job of the publisher, and given that Rebel Publishing was set up because:

Rebel Publishing Website: (BOLDING MINE)
The founding members, Caroline Addenbrooke, Joan De La Haye and Jayne Southern, identified what they believed was an opportunity in the publishing world. This was to develop a publishing house that would combine a quality product with an international sales and distribution network, while at the same time replacing a traditional brick and mortar business with a virtual shop front.

The publisher should therefore make sure it is capable of doing what it wants to do.

We promote our authors through an evolving network of reading and reviewing communities, as well as through media outlets who have a literary focus.

That sounds to me like little more than a bit of on-line social networking, which makes precious little impact on sales.

Caroline Addenbrooke (Financial and Legal):
Caroline started writing as a teenager, writing a story that was so awful that she took to financial management, followed by project management in mitigation. Now, thirty years later, she has returned to pursue what she dreamed of all those years ago. She has recently completed her epic novel, “The Gates of Hell.” This gives her the unique perspective of a successful business-woman, with the understanding of how hard it can be to succeed at becoming a mainstream published novelist.

None of that business experience appears to be in publishing (if it was, I'd expect it to be mentioned) and given that THE GATES OF HELL is apparently to published by, oh gosh what a shock, Rebel E Publishing, in April 2011 she has no idea what it is like to be a published mainstream novelist. She is at best, self-published and while there is no shame in that - it doesn't qualify her to offer to publish other people's work.

Joan De la Haye (Marketing/Promotion and Operations):
Joan once upon a time worked as the sales and marketing rep for a Resort and after that she was the operations manager for an audio conferencing company. The skills she picked up over the years will be well used running the marketing and day-to-day operations for Rebel e Publishers. She has also been writing since she first learned to hold a pencil, so she understands what it takes to nurture the dream of becoming a published author. This understanding will help with dealing with the writers on a day to day basis.

Again, none of that experience appears to have been in publishing and surprise, surprise, she's another author whose first book was published by Rebel e Publishing so again - at best she's self-published and that is not in itself a qualification for publishing other people.

Our Editorial Director, Jayne Southern, is a confirmed bookaholic who is thrilled there is no cure. Her experience includes the PR department of the London Stock Exchange, journalism (trade journals, company journals and ghosting articles for in-house magazines), organising literary luncheons (A New Chapter), editing and proof reading for a variety of authors and publishers. In between she studied psychology, philosophy and communications (not IT!) and complementary therapies, as well as teaching swimming and life saving and being involved with remedial reading when her children were at school. She is passionate about helping authors make their work the best it can be.

It would be better if she named the authors and publishers she worked for (on her website, the only references cited are for people published through 30 Degrees South Publishing, which seems to be niche publisher with a pay-to-play option) because this would go to establishing credentials, but of the named people involved with the company, she at least seems to have worked with publishers.

Art Directors Jacques & Anina Stenvert: After 15 years as a senior camera-man and DOP, Jaques now manages the photography, illustration and design side of things at the Stenvert design company. Anina, his better half, is the oil that keeps the Studio’s engine running smoothly. Her unusual combination of administrative skills and design talent means she has her finger on the pulse of the design industry as a business.

No previous book cover design experience on the face of it. Having taken a quick look at the Rebel Publishing covers on display, they seem to be a mixed bag.

Darlene Oakley: is a freelance editor, speech writer and transcriptionist with over 20 years combined experience in these fields. She has had short stories and articles published in several magazines. Other writing interests include romantic suspense fiction and inspirational non-fiction. She works out of her home just south of Canada's Capital, Ottawa.

Why would a publisher be recommending a freelance editor? This suggests some kind of referral arrangement, which I would want to clarify.

We publish most genres of fiction.

Most publishers want to start out in a particular genre or market, forcus on raising their profile and reputation in that market and then branch out - not least because it enables them to focus marketing on the niche they're targeting.

You do not need an agent to submit your work to us.

You probably won't need one anyway as I suspect they don't pay advances.

Rebel Publishing Website: (BOLDING MINE)
Please send us the following:
A short synopsis
First and last chapters
A short biography

Any commercial publisher that knows what it's doing, will want the first 3 chapters. Not the last one - asking for the first and last chapter is meaningless.

We will not accept unedited manuscripts. If you don't know anyone who can help you with the editing, have a look at our About Us page. You are more than welcome to contact one of our editors or have a look further down this page at our Advice section.

Commercial publishers shouldn't be referring authors to editors - at the very least I'd want to know if they're getting paid for any referrals.

We promise to read all submissions and will provide feedback on everything we receive.

It's always a sign of an amateur that they provide feedback on everything - commercial publishers should be focused on getting their books out to readers, not in providing feedback on books they don't think they can sell.

I'd check with a South African lawyer whether these details are enough to constitute a binding contract under South African law. Certainly under English law, I would never sign a contract with an entity that is not giving a registered number and registered address (if a company) and you can't rely on a domain name.

Rebel e Publishers Contract:
The Author grants to the Publisher for a period of thirty six (36) months, from the date of first
publication, the sole and exclusive right to publish and sell the manuscript entitled​
xxxxx, (hereafter

called the Work).

A fixed term contract isn't a great idea - books can take a while to build up a readership.

The clause doesn't say what rights they're taking or for which territories - given that they're doing epublishing and POD, they should be explicit in saying that.

If they're taking POD rights, then they should only be taking it for South Africa. Some posters here on AW are comfortable with giving worldwide epublishing rights - personally I think that it should be limited to a territory as well.

Upon the expiration of this agreement, thirty six (36) months from the date of original publication, the
Publisher shall have first option to conclude an agreement with the Author for continued publication
rights to the Work on terms to be mutually agreed upon. Should no such agreement be concluded
within sixty (60) days of the expiration of this agreement, all rights to the Work shall automatically​
revert to the Author.

Even with this clause, you'd still have lost first publishing rights if you go with the company.

The Publisher additionally requires first right of refusal for subsequent Works by the Author.

No. A publisher might want first right of refusal to a related work (e.g. a sequel) but not any works by the author - that's tantamount to holding any rights to future works hostage. Also, it should be clear that the right to first refusal is conditional on mutually acceptable terms being agreed within a set time period, failing which the Author is free to take their book elsewhere.

All rights not specifically granted to the Publisher, are reserved by the Author.

This is meaningless given that the contract doesn't specify precisely which rights are being granted to the publisher.

The Author shall retain in full the exclusive right to sell or license the Work for publication in whole
or in part, in English or in any foreign language, in any way, shape, edition, or form not in conflict​
with the rights granted to the Publisher under this agreement.

This seems to suggest that the author retains audio and adaptation rights, but again it's meaningless unless the contract specifies exactly what the publisher is getting. This is basic drafting and is something that any lawyer should be doing as a matter of course.

The Author agrees to deliver the Work to the Publisher in the format agreed between the author and
the Publisher, or by electronic mail, according to the submissions criteria posted on the Submissions​
section of the Website.

The submissions section of the website doesn't seem to deal with this beyond submission of the first and last chapters, a synopsis and biography. That in itself does not constitute acceptance of a manuscript.

If a petition in bankruptcy is filed by, or against the Publisher; or if the Publisher is judged insolvent
by any court; or if a Trustee or a Receiver of any property of the Publisher is appointed in any suit or
proceeding by, or against the Publisher; or if the Publisher makes an assignment for the benefit of
creditors or takes the benefit of any bankruptcy or insolvency Act; or if the Publisher liquidates its
business for any cause whatsoever, this agreement shall terminate automatically without notice. Such
termination shall be effective as of the date of the filing of such petition, adjudication, appointment,
assignment, or declaration or commencement of reorganization or liquidation proceedings, and all​
rights granted hereunder shall revert to the Author.

Check with a South African lawyer whether this is enforceable in an insolvency situation. Certainly under English law, a liquidator can set aside any arrangements to terminate a contract and seek to continue their enforcement on the basis that such contracts form the assets of the company.

The Publisher will pay the Author per copy of every book sold, and for which The Publisher receives​
full payment according to the price agreed for the Work.

This isn't usual. Most publishers have an agreed date when royalties are paid and there should be a reserve against returns clause. The way this clause operates suggests that the author gets paid when a book is sold, which would lead to a lot of administration and loads of small cheques/payments being made.

The calculation for Royalties will be on the net of​
Discounted Price less the unit printing cost.

This needs to be clearer. The use of definitions within the contract is inconsistent and, IMO, poorly drafted. It's not clear what the Discounted Price is on this - presumably it's the Wholesale Discount but it needs to be clear. If it is, then it means that the author is only getting 50% of 80% of the Wholesale Price - the print costs, which doesn't seem to amount to much.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the contract setting out calculation of royalties on ebooks.

On all copies sold at special rates, through book clubs or other special circumstances, where the
Publisher has discounted the price, the author will receive a proportionate percentage of the discounted​
copy rate received by the Publisher.

This works to further reduce the amount the author can expect on their book and I'd want to know what is meant by "special circumstances" because that is uncomfortable vague and seems to be an additional get out clause.

There's no jurisdiction or governing law clause - again, this is sloppy drafting as it's standard boiler plate. Presumably it's intended to be subject to South African law but this should be made clear.

There's no provision for earlier termination (and if so, whether there's a termination fee), which should be at least addressed.

All in all it strikes me as rather amateur. Your book deserves better.

MM

ray wenck

Day Dream Believer
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Stacia and Momento Mori for your in put. God, I have so much to learn. It get's exciting when someone shows an interest in your work but unfortunately I'm not attracting the right type yet. You pointed out things, obviously from experience, that I might never have caught. Some I did but others would have slipped by. I guess i'll just keep plugging away. Thanks again.