Study: Americans don't know much about religion

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
No, Nirvãna in Hinduism is the unification with the supreme being. In buddhism Nirvãna is the attainment of the perfect mind that is free from cravings and things that give rise to cravings. If I remember it correctly.

Hindus do not generally speak of Nirvana. I've read just about all the main non-dualistic literature and I've never once seen that term used, or heard it from Hindus. Of course, as always, there may be exceptions.
Your definition of Nirvana in Buddhism is exactly what Samadhi is, which is the word Hindus use. The perfect mind IS the supreme being. Trust me on this.
Or better yet, research it yourself: google non-duality or Advaita or Ramana Maharshi.

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My own ignore list is rather large, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't have anyone on ignore, nor shall I ever. How can I know how much I disagree with any particular person if I don't listen to their nonsense?

But, you all have me on ignore, so you can't read this. :p

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hindus do not generally speak of Nirvana. I've read just about all the main non-dualistic literature and I've never once seen that term used, or heard it from Hindus. Of course, as always, there may be exceptions.
Your definition of Nirvana in Buddhism is exactly what Samadhi is, which is the word Hindus use. The perfect mind IS the supreme being. Trust me on this.
Or better yet, research it yourself: google non-duality or Advaita or Ramana Maharshi.

My understanding (which is vast and always right) is that Samadhi is the perfect union of the self and the whole of the universe, the erasure and dissolution of both subject and object, in their perfect union. Yoga's root word means to yoke, there is wisdom there.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
My understanding (which is vast and always right) is that Samadhi is the perfect union of the self and the whole of the universe, the erasure and dissolution of both subject and object, in their perfect union. Yoga's root word means to yoke, there is wisdom there.

There are various ways of expressing it, and yes, that's about it; advaita considers the whole of the universe as consciousness, or God, or perfect mind; samadhi is the return of the individual self into that consiousness through the dissolution of thought, the idea of separation being just an illusion; we are always that.
Here's a quite nice youtube animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyuQbIb0Xs

Last edited: