The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Midwest Circulations LLC

Midwest Circulations LLC

Anybody ever heard of or dealt with a company called Midwest Circulations LLC that sells magazines? if so what was your experience with them?
    YA Writer (Contemp Fic )

“I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.”- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

http://niaraie.blogspot.com/

Tweet! Tweet!

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Not sure I've heard of them.

Maybe a mod could port this over to BR&BC where it'd be better served?
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    I don't know the name of the organization, but one of our nephews had a horrific experience with a business which recruited clean-cut young men to sell magazines, and if you didn't make your day's quota, bad stuff happened. He literally ran away, evading the boss when he came to pick the crew up, and called his parents to come and get him six hundred miles from home. He was quite humiliated at having to do it, since he was not some green kid but 21 or 22 at the time.

My sister (his mom) told us she's learned since then that this is a fairly common business practice resulting in near-slavery, since the sellers do not have enough money to eat, rent a room, or get home.

If what you're checking out is a business which employs people to sell magazines, proceed with great caution.

Maryn, the voice of doom
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    ...Maybe a mod could port this over to BR&BC where it'd be better served?
    Ben is right, so we'll move this thread there now from Office Party.

Is it's http://www.midwestcirculationllc.com/ Google turns up multiple complaints. I can't verify them, but it's enough to make me leery of dealing with them.

I don't recall if it was this exact company or not, but a year or so ago I was approached by a young man in his twenties lurking in my complex parking lot as I got out of my car. He was just one of multiple sellers they had, I'm sure, but I got a very bad vibe from him.
    Co-writer/creator of (On break while the artist works on other projects):

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Yes, the magazine selling gangs are a nightmare. For the sellers and the potential customers.
    Emily Veinglory

One of those guys showed up on my doorstep the other night. "I live right here in your neighborhood!" Uh, I don't think so. The ones that do can tell me right where they live, where they go to school (or recently graduated from) and name several of their teachers.

(Well, he was selling magazines. I don't know if it was the same outfit.) Showed up right at dusk and stood just outside of the pool of light from the porch light. They make like they're trying to gain your trust, but if I can't get a good look at 'em, I get really antsy.

the original blond bombshell MaryMumsy's Avatar
    One of them scammed my husband back at the beginning of the summer. Had this story about being a student at the local uni, trying to raise money for a trip to London to have a tour of the facilities at BBC. Hubby kept telling him we didn't want any magazines. Finally gave him like $5 for his trip. I wasn't home or I would have prevented that. Told him he got scammed, and to never engage with these people at the door. And hubby is no dummy, he used to work in law enforcement for dog's sake. But the kid was the right age for a uni student, clean cut, neatly dressed, and a plausible (at least to hubby) line of bull.

My Mom used to have a placard next to the doorbell:

No soliciting
    No sales persons
    No church representatives

MM
    When I'm good, I'm very good; but when I'm bad, I'm better.

That is Mae West, not me.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Gone, one hopes due to Government action: http://ago.mo.gov/newsreleases/2013/...its_magazines/

ETA: two of its hustlers were convicted of human trafficking (initial report, follow up).
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 12-09-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: