The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agent] Ashley Glenn

practical experience, FTW

Question [Agent] Ashley Glenn

I signed up at www.writers.net and somehow was assigned an agent. His/Her name is Ashley Glenn.

Comments?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    What?!

Could you provide a few more details?

What exactly did you do, what did you get back, etc.?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    WN does not "assign" agents. Did this Ashley contact you saying so?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

(not his real name)
    Hum. Dunno nuthin' about Writers.net, but here's Ashley Glenn, and his profile lists a client who I assume is Elwyn (going by your home page, Elwyn). My inclination is to suspect something wonky with the software that sets up one's profile at Writers.net, erroneously linking agents and "clients". Never attribute to malice etc.

[edit: especially since Ashley's page lists 33 clients. I randomly looked at about twenty other agents listed on Writers.net, and those twenty listed a grand total of one client. I assume clients listed are only those who also have a profile at Writers.net, so even an established agent would likely only have a handful of clients actually listed. If you noticed this right on establishing your profile, Elwyn, I'll bet it's a bug in their script that doesn't correctly clear a field, and it's happened to 30+ other people.]
    Last edited by Andrew Jameson; 09-21-2005 at 01:22 AM.

FWIW, I've been a member of WN for years, and never got assigned an agent. Nor have I heard of it happening to others.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    FWIW, I've been a member of WN for years, and never got assigned an agent. Nor have I heard of it happening to others.

Same here!!

How strange. Has Ashley Glenn ever contacted you? Have you sent her an e-mail?

All I did was fill out this form: http://www.writers.net/user/create.php and it sent me to a page that eventually sent me to another page that Andrew referenced above. Maybe it is a software glitch. I dunno.

I signed up a minute ago and didnt get an agent

*sniff sniff*
    Epicman

Glenn S. Hamilton
    http://www.cometogetherbooks.com

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    Man, I wish getting an agent was that easy! LOL

I, too, have yet to be assigned an agent through WN. Alas...

"Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

practical experience, FTW J. Y. Moore's Avatar
    I've been a member of WN for almost a year - no agent here either - I'm jealous. Of couse, I don't envy the disappointment you may be experiencing either.
    J. Y. (Jean) Moore
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Whoever this Ashley Glenn is, I can't find a single thing about him/her other than the WN listing.

- Victoria

Victoria

The Fantasy Ring Link on your Web site that points to http://www.3rdr.com/fantasy/ doesn't work. Just checked, the FWA links also bad. SWFA link is okay. Opps, this is also a bad link: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/9134/ring.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn
    The Fantasy Ring Link on your Web site that points to http://www.3rdr.com/fantasy/ doesn't work. Just checked, the FWA links also bad. SWFA link is okay. Opps, this is also a bad link: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/9134/ring.htm
    Looks like I've got some updating to do! Thanks for letting me know.

- Victoria

practical experience, FTW ThatGuy's Avatar
    This is weird. A new poster on WN just stated that his book is coming out with PA and lists his agent as Ashley Glenn.
    Last edited by ThatGuy; 02-13-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Letters to eBay
    From Warner Books

By day, Paul Meadors is a fifth grade teacher in a small California town. By night, he trolls the millions of items for sale on eBay and catches sellers off guard with his ludicrous and bizarre questions about their auctions. As he amusingly demonstrates time and time again, even in today's hyper-vigilant and impersonal digital world, the spirit of human salesmanship lives on, no matter how outrageous the question or request.

My Book on Amazon

YouTube Book Trailer

practical experience, FTW janetbellinger's Avatar
    Me too and I've never been assigned one either. It sound like a computer error.
    Janet

Originality is nothing by judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another.
    Author:
    Voltaire

practical experience, FTW janetbellinger's Avatar
    I don't see why you can't belong to WN while being a PA author. I know I did before I cancelled my contract with PA. Also, I also had Michael Mirolla as a tutor, only for Quality of Course in Ottawa, and I also think he is a fine mentor and tutor.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
    This is weird. A new poster on WN just stated that his book is coming out with PA and lists his agent as Ashley Glenn.

Here's what this new "published" author has next to his bio:

I am twenty one and currently living in Abilene, Texas, a fantastic city that I truly love. At first, my major goal in life was to be a video game designer, programming games. But that didn't last long as my true interest has always been writing science fiction stories. I graduated from Abilene Eagle Charter, one of the best schools, I think. Throughout my efforts to be an author, I have received a lot of support ,encouragement, and guidance from all of my family, friends, and my great tutor Michael Mirolla.
    I didn't plan to attend college as I went with the flow and found Winghill writing school to further my education. They have been like a college because of the solid advice I've obtained from my tutor and constructive criticism I've had to deal with throughout my learning experience. I've been told from many people that I am quite talented and have a knack for writing science fiction.
    The school has helped make my dream come true and I am certain to write many more science fiction novels in the future. I have a high drive and flaming passion to be one of the great authors of today. I learned about your publication from an actual science fiction author by the name of Billy Joe Sharp Jr. I e-mailed him some of my story and he thought it had a great shot at getting published and so suggested a terrific publication. I have become published, it will be my first book in print. But hopefully not my last!

Reads like a true PA writer, to be sure.
    Janet

Originality is nothing by judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another.
    Author:
    Voltaire

Nothing says you can't be a member of Writers Net and a PA author -- many are.

The question is about Ashley Glenn.

What kind of agent sells a client's book to PublishAmerica?

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    The question is about Ashley Glenn.

What kind of agent sells a client's book to PublishAmerica?
    Ummmm....that's a rhetorical kind of a question, right? Asked and answered by implication?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post

Here's what this new "published" author has next to his bio:
    I am very uncomfortable with posting people's personal information in this way. It seems unnecessarily denigrating to me. We already know that many PA authors are misguided, misled, deluded, or just plain ignorant--I don't see that we need to publicly humiliate them by holding their naive statements up to ridicule--especially when they aren't here to respond and defend themselves. Even if this wasn't your intent in your post, ThatGuy, it's the general effect. It would have been enough simply to point out the Ashley Glenn-PA connection.

- Victoria
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 02-11-2007 at 11:52 PM.

practical experience, FTW ThatGuy's Avatar
    You're right. I shouldn't have.

Letters to eBay
    From Warner Books

By day, Paul Meadors is a fifth grade teacher in a small California town. By night, he trolls the millions of items for sale on eBay and catches sellers off guard with his ludicrous and bizarre questions about their auctions. As he amusingly demonstrates time and time again, even in today's hyper-vigilant and impersonal digital world, the spirit of human salesmanship lives on, no matter how outrageous the question or request.

My Book on Amazon

YouTube Book Trailer

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Considering Ashley's age, and the fact she's registered on dozens of "networking" sites (example), I'll bet she opened an agent account on WN in ignorance and simply "friended" a bunch of people.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: