AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Critiques You've Seen - Share them here!

Has a few recurring issues kborsden's Avatar
    I think PIAH is on the right track with the way that this idea should work.

I'd like to see this thread become one dedicated to the critters who dedicate their time to assisting others, somewhere that we can all show our appreciation for those that take time out to stop and comment for the better of ourselves and our poetry.

If (for example) during your skimming through the poems in critique, you come across a comment or critique that you think is stand-out for the way it approaches critiquing (i.e. tone, respect, information etc etc) or because it imparts a great deal of help for all, or aids a single poet to become the best they can on their poem, or for whatever reason -- just post a link and brief comment to let us all know what and why.

PIAH has already posted 2 great threads with regards to how we critique and the effect that a good critique can have on both poet and poem -- and threads we can learn from in terms of how we also receive critiques. Very good and edifying choices...

Now it's our turn -- let's show those who offer their time, opinions, input (and share their knowledge and skill) how much we appreciate them..
    Last edited by kborsden; 10-15-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Kieran Borsden
    "to be born Welsh, is to be born--not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with song in your heart, and poetry in your soul"

-->Read Me

Got to write an Englyn or 2

Banned
    Perhaps a renaming of the thread is in order then. "of the week" may make people who haven't been reading every thread all week see a good crit and then not say anything about it because they would have no way of knowing if it were the best one of the week.

"This week's good crits" might have a more useful slant and let people feel they talk over the latest good crits without worrying if they're the best ones or if they're trying to win a contest. It might even make them feel a good crit SHOULD be mentioned if nothing has been posted for the week even though good crits have been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
    Perhaps a renaming of the thread is in order then.

"This week's good crits" might have a more useful slant and let people feel they talk over the latest good crits without worrying if they're the best ones or if they're trying to win a contest. It might even make them feel a good crit SHOULD be mentioned if nothing has been posted for the week even though good crits have been made.
    Absolutively -- perhaps, as our poet laureate, you could do the honours of arranging that name change?

What about: "top crits"
    Kieran Borsden
    "to be born Welsh, is to be born--not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with song in your heart, and poetry in your soul"

-->Read Me

Banned
    okay, I'll ask Rob.

How about "Good crits you've seen this week"?

I reread "This week's good crits" and realized there was a possible negative connotation that anything not nominated sucked.

I still like 'top crits' -- like a spin on 'top tips' -- but anything goes.
    Kieran Borsden

-->Read Me

Banned
    I know what you mean. "top" does partake a bit of "of the week," though, in that it holds a certain intimidation factor. It might encourage more participation to have people think they can talk about the critiques they liked without worrying if they're really the top ones or wondering if they even know what it takes to make a top critique. More "let's talk about it" than "is it good enough to talk about?" or "will I look foolish to have brought this up?" is what I'm thinking.

hmmm... interesting and valid approach. IMO
    Kieran Borsden

-->Read Me

is this how it ends? SuperModerator poetinahat's Avatar
    Good idea, gentlemen. Much more inclusive!

I like the 'what-it-says-on-the-tin' renaming.
    Kieran Borsden

-->Read Me

Undercover's first ever critique is a thorough and analytical critique -- supportive, yet offering insights and perspective as well as advice and ideas for strengthening, well balanced and complete. Just goes to show why new blood is important. I can't wait for his/her next one!
    Last edited by kborsden; 10-15-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Kieran Borsden

-->Read Me

Banned
    Agreed on both -- that it was a very good crit and that it's great to have new blood.

I've noticed many new poets don't bother to crit others -- they're happy to take but not interested in giving. Nice to see undercover breaking what sometimes appears to be calcifying into a mold.

In search of distractions Marya's Avatar
    Just working through the various poetry threads -- I found this excellent and stimulating.

As I wrote elsewhere, I like to be involved with poets workshopping and revising poems because I learn a great deal from that process. Hoping to find others here who do the same thing.

I do know some poets post only finished work and I'm not sure there is much point in critiquing those.

Banned
    If they do it here, it's a mistake. The chapbook is for finished poems. It's safe to say that any poem posted here is posted expressly because the author does not yet consider it finished, or at least would like to solicit comments to determine whether it could be improved.

As Blarg said, the poems posted in the Poetry Crit section are up for comment and critique so the author can improve the piece. I hope you will read through and offer comments, Marya. We need more people offering insight there.
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    Michelangelo

"You don't need thick skin, you just need perseverance." leifwright

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Marya View Post
    Just working through the various poetry threads -- I found this excellent and stimulating.

As I wrote elsewhere, I like to be involved with poets workshopping and revising poems because I learn a great deal from that process. Hoping to find others here who do the same thing.

I do know some poets post only finished work and I'm not sure there is much point in critiquing those.
    I see mostly drafts in the critique section as of late and a lot of them are even first or second drafts!

Inspector Farquar gives a genial, succinct, high-quality critique of Matty III's Astral Walks here.

I think William Haskins has struck a very good note with this response to Longing, by conradland.

I want to highlight this critique--took the words I wanted to post, illustrated exactly what worked, what didn't and why.
    Kieran Borsden

-->Read Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12