• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Evernight Publishing / Evernight Teen

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I have NO idea how that electronic signature works and if I need a laptop for that type of function. Anybody clue me in here?

I did it on my desktop, with the mouse.

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com
You definitely don't need an agent to sign with Evernight. Did you go for Evernight on your own? Shouldn't your agent have been the one to approach? Sorry for the questions but I'm just wondering what is the point of an agent if you're hunting down the publishers on your own?

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
You definitely don't need an agent to sign with Evernight. Did you go for Evernight on your own? Shouldn't your agent have been the one to approach? Sorry for the questions but I'm just wondering what is the point of an agent if you're hunting down the publishers on your own?

S.C. Wynne--take a look at this blog post that explains it in detail and motive:

http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Tri

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
S.C. Wynne--take a look at this blog post that explains it in detail and motive:

http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Tri

I think it's a good tactic. I'd do the very same if I had an agent and we were going in the direction of mid-size to small presses. I'd definitely help with the hunt. I think if I signed with an agent now, knowing how much I know with publishers, I would mention it right away that I'd like to be involved with the submission process. Good call, Tri.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Although I had an offer of publication with Evernight, I ultimately decided not to sign because I wasn't finding the contract process transparent enough. I really like to be able to digest what I'm going to sign and receive a lot of information up front.

I don't have an agent, and in a way, I think that means I have to be an even more aggressive advocate for myself/the rights of my material.

The do seem like a friendly publisher, and I liked how quickly they responded! But ultimately, I felt I needed the contract to go over.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Do you mean they wouldn't let you see / give you the chance to negotiate any terms in the contract before officially accepting the offer by signing?

That about sums it up. It was kind of confusing. It was like "I promise to publish with you, so you can now send the contract." It could be nothing more than their desire to see if I'm interested right now, because if I have other subs out there I could drag this out and waste their time. To simplify things, I'm having my agent contact them to interpret any language and contract conditions. This just might be their standard policy. But I have a feeling that their contract might have been refused upon sending (in the past) it if it seemed boilerplate/non-negotiable.

Don't get me wrong. I think this publisher has a lot of pull and a great sales record, for their romance line at least. A multitude of glowing ranks on Amazon. More than I've ever seen for a small press.

Tri

Last edited:

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com
They send you the contract electronically, and you can look it over as thoroughly as you need to. If you see something you don't like you could probably always approach them through email and ask if it's negotiable. Until you actually SIGN the contract there is no hold on you. I think it's understood that until you see the contract and read it over nothing is in stone.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
They send you the contract electronically, and you can look it over as thoroughly as you need to. If you see something you don't like you could probably always approach them through email and ask if it's negotiable. Until you actually SIGN the contract there is no hold on you. I think it's understood that until you see the contract and read it over nothing is in stone.

Yep that was my understanding too.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Okay, I think I got it. It's looks and sounds like standard procedure to me. My inbox just got a mail from my agent concerning this publisher. I'm going to go read it now. It might be revealing or might not contain much info at all.

tri

ETA: Agent says she's checked them out before but she'd like to do some further in-depth research. That's okay with me.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
From what I can see, their romance (gay, lesbian, straight) titles are just smoking up the Amazon ranks. I don't think I've ever seen so many titles in the top 100 before via a small press. I lost count and stopped. I mean, it's staggeringly great for them and all the authors. The higher the heat levels, the better the sales, I would presume. These were fairly recent titles I looked at, but even the older books, six months to a year ago are showing some respectable numbers.

For fairly recent titles in the Evernight Teen line, the opposite is true. I just took it from the top down on the Amazon page

Ranking numbers:

297,859--March 6, 2015
707,412--Dec 26,2014
924,849--Dec 10, 2014
832,824--Nov 14, 2014
686,616--June 5, 2015 Pre-release
331, 816--March 26, 2014 (not bad at all here)
603,223--Nov 20, 2014
221,788--Oct 10, 2014
675,793--Feb 13, 2015

All of these YA titles were contemporary except for one dystopian. Now I know that the Teen line is a fairly new addition to their publishing roster. And some can consider these numbers not out of the ordinary for a small press. I know I can from what I've seen and experienced firsthand. But I just couldn't believe the difference between the two categories/genres--it's an enormous chasm. If I was a romance writer in search of a small press publisher I'd speed, run stop signs and red lights to get to them.

Conversely, I think the Teen line needs a real kick in the ass to get some higher numbers. It's a fact the YA is pretty saturated and doesn't sell like the other popular categories/genres, but something seems amiss here. Maybe with more time and effort things could swing around in the other direction.

It goes without saying that Amazon is not the only source by which to judge and evaluate a book's success. There are a dozen other prominent on-line distributors that often times beat out Amazon.

And with a grain of salt...

tri

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I did it on my desktop, with the mouse.

That sounds plain perverted! ;)

Well, I threw my twig onto the fire and this morning received an offer from Evernight for a ROTG story I sent them. For those interested:

subbed: 04.06
offer: 04.10

Wicked fast, but then again the story is only circa 11K. I asked to see the contract, but I know several authors with them and they are pretty happy with the terms. I'm feeling happy that all will be as it should, but still, I have to read everything before I accept.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds plain perverted! ;)

Well, I threw my twig onto the fire and this morning received an offer from Evernight for a ROTG story I sent them. For those interested:

subbed: 04.06
offer: 04.10

Wicked fast, but then again the story is only circa 11K. I asked to see the contract, but I know several authors with them and they are pretty happy with the terms. I'm feeling happy that all will be as it should, but still, I have to read everything before I accept.

Congrats, Pisco! Let us know how it goes. This one's been on my list for a while.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I was happy with the contract, pretty standard, but perhaps would have tried to negotiate a low sales-out clause for a novella or novel length work. Just me, as I've always had one of those on my longer works. For my ROTG (M/F/M) story I am very happy with the terms. Scheduled release is MAY! By far the quickest turnaround I've ever had, but my editor over in mainstream romance land tells me I write 'clean'.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I was happy with the contract, pretty standard, but perhaps would have tried to negotiate a low sales-out clause for a novella or novel length work. Just me, as I've always had one of those on my longer works. For my ROTG (M/F/M) story I am very happy with the terms. Scheduled release is MAY! By far the quickest turnaround I've ever had, but my editor over in mainstream romance land tells me I write 'clean'.

You mean next month? If that's the case, OMG wow!