• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Evernight Publishing / Evernight Teen

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
Has Evernight Publishing turned anyone down? The reason I ask is because of several issues I have read in this thread. I hope they are not just an author mill...
I have several titles with them and I have had my some of my submissions rejected. So, yes, they do reject.

1...Quick submission acceptance. This does not mean they are shady in any manner, but they either accept almost anyone, or they get very few submissions. Author Mills have a habit of accepting almost anyone, in any genre, because its all about the numbers.
The acceptance isn't as fast as it used to be. The first thing I sent to them, I got a less than 24 hour turn around. Now it could take up to three weeks to hear from them. Sure, that's faster than some other companies but they might also not be geting the volume of submissions either. I really don't know.

2...Editors are easy to work with. OK, that is an author's dream. But does that mean their editors are just cleaning up a manuscript, or are they pushing the authors to be the best they can be? I am unsure, but I want an editor that is going to push me to be the best I can be... I have no experience with these editors to know if easy to work with is a good or bad thing in this case.
I've only had a few issues with editors. The one I'm usually saddled up with knows my style and is very hard on me to get it right if I screw things up. The most I've had is two rounds of editing except for one of my works that needed a pre-edit. As far as rounds of editing, they are the one company I deal with that does the least. The one that was the most thorough that I dealt with merged with another company and I no longer deal with them.

3...Looking at the rankings of some of their books on Amazon, does not leave me comfortable with this publishers ability to push sales. Yes, I know, in this age, authors are expected to do their share of marketing. But I expect a publisher to be gung ho on marketing more so than the author. Now, I have no experience with this publisher so I do not know what they do and don't do, but the sales ranking on Amazon for most of their books is not encouraging. IMHO.
We have a marketing director at Evernight that gives pointers for how to promo and answers questions. There are three blogs with a decent following you can guest blog on. The problem with Amazon right now as far as rankings, is they're burying anything tagged adult. Meaning, if you try to search in 'all departments' you're not going to get what you're looking for. My latest book with not show unless you type in the search in 'books'.

As far as self publishing goes, if it's your bag--go for it. Me? I prefer to deal with publishers that prove editing services, free cover art, and a good royalty percentage.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I noticed in your signature in another thread that it says october 2013 and was all "Wait, I thought she just signed that contract?"

So are they really planning to release two months after your signed? That's insanely fast.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I noticed in your signature in another thread that it says october 2013 and was all "Wait, I thought she just signed that contract?"

So are they really planning to release two months after your signed? That's insanely fast.

Yeah, that's what the paperwork said :Shrug:

To be fair it IS only 24k words, and I've been told I write fairly clean. It's also been through many rewrites already, as well as a pretty extensive R&R with another publisher (then the editor I had been working with left and the replacement ultimately rejected it).

I'm hoping that they just don't think it needs much work. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to figure out how to work fast!

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
They do have an insane turnaround. I signed in mid-July (avatar) and my book was released days ago. Even though I had two betas on it, NGSUN was still given a heck of an edit three times. I edited quicker than they asked, which I think they wanted to give me two weeks? I did it within days so I'm sure that pushed it faster.

My M/M novella is just over 20k.

tprevost

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates on this publisher? I just received an offer from them to publish my YA Urban Fantasy!!!

Last edited:

HeatherBeck

Registered
Reaction score
If you guys don't mind me asking, have the sales in the Evernight Teen line been improving? I wanted to place my YA paranormal romance with a Canadian publisher since the story is set there and, well, I'm Canadian. :p

Thanks so much,
Heather

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I wish I could comment with useful info. My second royalty check was for this first quarter, but it was my first that included Amazon sales. I felt a bit underwhelmed, but then again, I do next to no promotion (though I don't know that they have, either, since the blog tour they set me up on).

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I've heard Evernight Teen isn't that good, but in all honesty, I've heard that most YA is a tough sale. I have no experience with ET, but it seems romance does the best. Although, after checking their site, a book that was released over a year ago is still one of their best sellers. I guess take that as you will?

HeatherBeck

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking through some Evernight Books, and while I think the stories are great, I noticed they use a 1 inch indent, even in their print books. Isn't the norm .5? Also the ragged edge instead of full justification is a bit distracting. For those who have print books with Evernight, how is the quality?

Thanks so much! :)

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I've heard Evernight Teen isn't that good, but in all honesty, I've heard that most YA is a tough sale. I have no experience with ET, but it seems romance does the best. Although, after checking their site, a book that was released over a year ago is still one of their best sellers. I guess take that as you will?

YA *ebooks* are a tough sell, because it seems a lot of teens still prefer print books. And many teens are either being given books by relatives or are finding them in libraries or bookstores, rather than paying attention to online promo and/or browsing online retailers.

YA is also tough to sell if the publisher (and author) rely on the same venues to promote YA as to promote romance. Some romance readers will cross over to read YA, but not all, and using romance venues to promote YA focuses the promo more on adults than on teens.

Where and how does Evernight Teen promote and market their books? Are they getting them into teens' hands? Focusing on venues where teens would be likely to hang out, either online or in real life? etc. That makes a difference. Teens aren't necessarily the ones buying their own books, but if they're aware of a book that interests them, they'll at least ask an adult in their life to buy it for them.

ElaStein

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ElaStein.com
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking through some Evernight Books, and while I think the stories are great, I noticed they use a 1 inch indent, even in their print books. Isn't the norm .5? Also the ragged edge instead of full justification is a bit distracting. For those who have print books with Evernight, how is the quality?

Thanks so much! :)

I don't have any of their print books, but I do have several of their eBooks, and they are all full justified. Maybe you were looking at the samples on the website and those aren't justified?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I have some print copies of my book at home. I'm out of town now, but I'll check when I get back next week to see about the justification. Otherwise, even my little 24k novella is a decent size in print. The cover looks great, and everyone I've handed print copies to has commented on how nice they look :)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought their print books and they looked fine to me. I didn't have any issue with them.

justbishop- I would suggest contact Evernight to ask about additional promo opportunities. I did this recently and they were very helpful. Three of my novellas are being combined into a print edition which will be helpful when running contest on Goodreads(Which I have found excellent in the past). They also will promo my series with them on their site with a huge banner add when my next installment comes out. Also they recently did a blog hop offering up some prizes. I got involved and got many hits on my blog. Will any of it bring more sales? I'm not sure yet. But it's worth a try. Like I said, when I contacted them they were friendly and helpful. Promo can be hard. It's hit or miss at best. Some authors of YA have had some success getting their book read by the right book bloggers who have a big following.

Try a Goodreads print giveaway if you can. I think thus far that has been the best promo I have ever done.

Good luck. I hope your sales get better.

Last edited:

ElaStein

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ElaStein.com
I was going to submit to Evernight but then I saw on their website that they no longer accept simultaneous submissions.

That's correct, but if you submit to them first, they're pretty good about getting back to you quickly, so you would be able to submit elsewhere within a few weeks if they pass on your manuscript.

DexyDoo

I typed "semen" how many times???
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone has a story in their Romance on the Go line... Care to share how your sales are?

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
If anyone has a story in their Romance on the Go line... Care to share how your sales are?
I have two, one being an ARe Best Seller. Mine aren't a high heat level but they are decent in sales. Nothing above double digits but they're not a high heat rating either. My m/m and m/m/f perform much better. I did the Romance on the Go for stories where expanding wouldn't add to the overall plot. Others have, obviously, better success than I.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Triple digits for my ROGs so far. That's for a MF and a MM. I have another recently released, and another on the way(Both MM). I don't have third party sales for either of those yet, but I expect them to perform the same.

High heat seems to sell better with Evernight. That's been my overall experience writing both MF, Menage, and MM for them.

DexyDoo

I typed "semen" how many times???
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all who shared info.

I just signed a contract with Evernight for a 12K-ish story for their Romance on the Go line, so thought I'd share a little info too.

-I found the contract to be super fair. Especially compared to a couple others I've seen (and no I'm not naming names - ha)
-Response time on my submission was 17 days
-Cover art form was sent same day as acceptance
-Contract was sent day after acceptance
-They use an online contract thingamajigger (I think that's the technical
term :)). Anyway, I like that. Makes filling out and signing super simple.
-Projected release date is September 2014

I'm looking forward to the editing process and dying to see the cover even though I JUST returned the cover art sheet. ;-D