AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

Thread: Evernight Publishing / Evernight Teen

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Did you check your spam? Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sashamarie View Post
    Did you check your spam? Good luck!

I've been checking all my folder's compulsively every hour for the last two weeks like a complete nut ball. Thank you!!
    Last edited by Matilda; 05-03-2017 at 06:00 AM.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by summontherats View Post
    While there have been a lot of comments on this thread lately, I don't think anyone's arguing that Evernight is a bad publisher, and they're certainly not posting because they expected to make a living off Evernight. Like all the stuff in this part of the forums, they're asking, "How does Evernight compare to other similarly-sized presses?"

And I think everyone can admit that Evernight does a really phenomenal job on cover art and a fair job on editing. So in terms of small presses, Evernight's got a few strong things to recommend it. (They also pay on time and are nice people. Hurray!)

But publishers also do promotion, and while most small presses can't do oodles and oodles, it is worth discussing what they do offer.

And... that's a fair question. I've been watching this thread with a lot of interest, honestly, because I have one book out with Evernight, in a genre they don't specialize in (YA and not romance) and my first quarter sales are... my friends and family. We're talking first quarter sales, during its launch, in the teens. I don't think Evernight netted me any sales at all.

This was an experiment for me--I was going to shelve this book otherwise--and I did almost no self-promotion. So I'm not heartbroken. But if they offer essentially no promotion at all, I am curious if other small presses are the same. Because that's a pretty genuine argument for "if you aren't going the agent route, you should really just self-publish."
    I agree with the comment above.

As I've mentioned previously, Evernight has beautiful covers.

The other thing is the payment: even earlier than I expected. Yes, the people are also nice.

I heavily promoted the one book that I have with Evernight because I loved the storyline and cover so much. Then again, the story is in a similar genre as my other books with two other publishers. Unfortunately, the sale number isn't good at all. To be fair, I only have the sale figure for the one on Evernight website itself.

I'll most likely do much better on Bookstrand because I'm slightly more well-known there and most of my readers are there. In fact, my Evernight Book actually managed to hit the bestseller chart (peaking somewhere in the high 70s), which wasn't horrible considering the fact that Bookstrand was more biased toward its own books and when my Evernight book was released, I was a newbie writer (only two months old in the writing world). Even Amazon would probably do well, too.

I really don't see any visible promotion done by the publisher, other than the ones on its Twitter and Facebook accounts. Initially, I was hoping for Evernight to do more marketing in addition to what I did for my book, but I really didn't see any (other than my own efforts).

This is by no means a bashing attempt against Evernight. It's my personal experience that I'm sharing with y'all. =)

My novel titled SEE will be released by Evernight Teen in June. SEE is my first Evernight title. I will say this from experience. I don't care who you pub with--you get out what you put in. I have been a writer for over 30 years, and I am the former Senior Editor of a digital romance publisher. If you want your book to be successful (or give it the best shot at success), you must be an avid self-promoter, no matter who your publisher is. Sitting around the editor/agent table at a conference back in my editing days, I heard an editor with a Big 5 publisher tell the story of a writer who was paid an advance in the 6-figure range for his book, and he thought he'd "made it," so he sat back on his laurels. They promoted his book to a certain degree and told him to do the same. Well, instead of taking some of that advance and putting it toward marketing for his book, he assumed the publisher would do all of the promotion. Well, his book didn't earn out the advance, and said writer has been unable to sign another contract for future books. All this said to make the point, any publisher who offered me a large advance for a novel would never have to tell me to use some of that advance to promote it. It would've been my first thought, especially with a Big 5 publisher's name to back me. And before I ever queried Evernight, a full promotional plan and monies to support that plan were already in place. Our books are our babies, and we love them. We should want to shout their praises from the rooftops. No one loves my work like I do. Who better to promote it? Just my thoughts and credo I live by. Good luck (and good planning) to everyone!
    Lee Ann Ward
    Fiction Author
    www.leeannward.com

Good point, Lee. It's just that we should spend just as much time searching out and researching the best avenues for promotion (and marketing if you want) to obtain the best results. I know publishers whose idea of heavy promotion is to blast Twitter and FB every day for each book. This type of repetition is meaningless, it can really irritate and turn readers off. You can spend a fortune on full page and banner ads with no result, because you're not hitting the right audience.. I myself, have landed on the front page (with four different books) of our largest newspaper, the Times Journal, and received no sales or even comments. Small paper? Wrong Audience? You really have to find what works for you, or what is working today with authors. It's tough out there--tougher than it's ever been. Experimentation might be the answer. Likewise, my guest blogs and blog interviews have been useless. I'm sure others have had different results. Many, many new releases can hit the top 100, or even the top ten, because of an initial surge: this is all fine and well, but the trick is to stay there and maintain that high rank.
    Last edited by triceretops; 05-06-2017 at 02:15 AM.

Very true, Tri! None of us have a magic wand. And what worked several months ago may not work now as far as promotion goes. It is all trial and error, but you still just have to put it all out there when it comes to your books. Thanks for the comments. Total truth!
    Lee Ann Ward
    Fiction Author
    www.leeannward.com

practical experience, FTW stormowl7's Avatar
    Hi

I just wanted to post the timeline I've had so far with Evernight Press, since I know that's sometimes a question writers have when looking at these posts, so here it goes:

Queried: February 21, 2017
    Contract offered: April 7, 2017
    Contract signed: April 20, 2017

I've been told that around six weeks after signing a contract is when editing will start (depending on how busy they are, etc.), and at that time, a cover would be ordered, and I'd get a publishing date! So here's to holding my breath until around June 5
    Last edited by stormowl7; 05-17-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Congrats!

Yes congrats and thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by Matilda; 05-24-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415