The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314

Thread: Evernight Publishing / Evernight Teen

JustWondering, you make some very good points. The one thing that really pissed me off about Evernight is that they do not provide your files automatically. You have to ask for them. But because of this, it's not entirely impossible to get reviews despite missing the release of your book. Early and on-time reviews are great, but continuous reviews are good, too.

The problem with ALMOST EVERY romance publisher today is that they do next-to-nothing for new authors. Why? IMO, they're too busy helping their "heavy hitters" aka the authors that make them money. This is one reason why a lot of authors choose self-publishing over publishers.

Not to make it sound like a bad thing, but in today's romance market, being able to market (effectively) yourself is an extremely crucial skill to have if you want to go anywhere with your career. If you're not willing to try, then you could find yourself struggling no matter what your choice -- to go with a publisher or self-publish.

Anyway, on the topic of Evernight: they, too, have done more for me than most other publishers I've worked with. But they do focus on their "heavy hitters" more.
    Last edited by c.m.n.; 04-21-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    WIP's series (stalled):
    Dragon's Shield: Waiting
    Warrior's Call: 33,000/45,000 (gotta get this DONE!)
    Oracle's Light: final edits
    Nightscapes: edits done
    Fool's Errand: editing
    Fire in the Skies: next in line
    Dark Knights: 35,000/?? (on hold)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Evernight has beautiful covers. They are easy to work with. Payments have never been late...those are the pros and very good ones to have.

Cons ... your book gets buried quickly. The marketing (and when you only have one marketing manager for bazillion authors there's really no surprise) is lacking. I have an author friend who writes for the adult line and of course I was watching for her sequel to come out and there literally was nothing leading up to the release. Cover reveal, blurb, the whole enchilada was released the day of. It made me sad for her, and I wish I could say it was the first time I've seen it. There is no build up, no teasers, no reviews beforehand ... I'm not sure why they don't use NetGalley. I dunno.

I guess I'm a bit conflicted about it all. The pros are great but I just think some of the cons could easily be remedied.

Quote Originally Posted by sashamarie View Post
    Evernight has beautiful covers. They are easy to work with. Payments have never been late...those are the pros and very good ones to have.

Cons ... your book gets buried quickly. The marketing (and when you only have one marketing manager for bazillion authors there's really no surprise) is lacking. I have an author friend who writes for the adult line and of course I was watching for her sequel to come out and there literally was nothing leading up to the release. Cover reveal, blurb, the whole enchilada was released the day of. It made me sad for her, and I wish I could say it was the first time I've seen it. There is no build up, no teasers, no reviews beforehand ... I'm not sure why they don't use NetGalley. I dunno.

I guess I'm a bit conflicted about it all. The pros are great but I just think some of the cons could easily be remedied.
    I've seen some Evernight books on Netgalley. Is that the author's doing then? I thought Evernight did it.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

figuring it all out
    Yes. If you see an ET book on Netgalley the author paid out of pocket. It's exactly like being self pubbed but sharing your profits.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The authors pay for NetGalley.

figuring it all out
    Right! The having to ask for the files thing is crazy. Like I said I was brand new and assumed my publisher would do those things for me.

They should really have a detailed welcome email with all that kind of info in it. The welcome email they send now is severely out dated.

practical experience, FTW
    I write for JMS Books LLC, Siren Publishing, and Evernight Publishing.

JMS Books LLC currently has 6 books.

Siren Publishing also has 6 books.

Evernight Publishing only has 1 book out so far.

Evernight, compared to the other two publishers, seems disorganized. For example, I have to chase after the publisher for my covers, my FIRST editing process, and then I have to ask when my book will be published. The other two publishers actually give me all of those way in advance to make sure that I have enough time to build up the anticipation and to promote my books properly. Moreover, they actually promote my books for me. Evernight does almost nothing in promotion.

Having said that, I agree that the cover for Evernight is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

In case anyone wonders, my book for Evernight would have plunged into the abyss of nothingness if it wasn't released after I had made my name a little well-known all over the social media sites and through JMS Books LLC and Siren Publishing.

I can't speak for all Evernight authors, but if you are going to write for this publisher, you need to make sure that you have a presence in social media sites and you have to be willing to promote yourself/your books constantly. =)
    Last edited by Alcasgra; Yesterday at 05:25 PM.

figuring it all out
    What Alcasgra said kind of underlines exactly what I was saying.

With Evernight, as well as most other small presses, if you want to make any kind of impression on the publishing world, not to mention any money, you have to promote yourself like crazy and put in a lot of time and care to do it well. If I'm going to put in 100% of the effort being made to promote my work, I don't want to share my profits. Evernight has done nothing, in my opinion, to earn their share of the money they make off me.

The covers are beautiful, but I could have hired the same cover artist and self published. Hell, I could have hired a freelance editor, received MUCH better edits, self published, and kept ALL the money I made from my work. I've grown tired of promoting my book with them because it's not worth it to me any more, but if I was self-pubbed I would be pushing my book like crazy.

Honestly I have one small press that I deal with that gives out ARCs for the books and I have not seen any spike in sales because they do this. Nor do I find heavy promotion a bonus for a book. I haven't released a book from Evernight in over a year and not because I don't want to but I'm going back to college. I don't find my experience with them lacking, honestly. Edits comes when they come. I have friends with other companies that give timelines then don't stick to them or ask the author to completely change a plot point that throws the whole story off. I've worked with several different editors and I like that because I know the person doing the editing with me knows the sub genre.

I have to ask those who have other publishers--what is the percentage of royalties you get from those companies? If you can do it on your own, why did you seek (or continue to seek) a publisher?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314