• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Evernight Publishing / Evernight Teen

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
Oooh, I got an acceptance for the Evernight Teen line for a YA fantasy. This thread is just GLOWING with praise, but (obviously!) a lot of them were selling romance. How's the teen line doing, particularly with the not-exclusively-romance? There were some (now a little old) comments mid-thread about the Teen line not selling nearly as well as the main Evernight line.

JustWonderin

Registered
Reaction score
I only have a YA story so I have nothing to compare too but based on these reports I would have to assume they do not sell as well as the adult romance.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
summontherats - Mine is also a YA fantasy at Evernight Teen, and the romance element is light in my book. I do worry a little that it won't be what the readers expect from the publisher/line, but . . . I won't know for sure until it's out in the world (looking at later this month for release). And it does seem the adult line does better, though I'm only basing that on Amazon rankings, which are notoriously squeeby.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
My first adult romance with Evernight (in their Romance on the Go line) didn't have great sales, tbh. It came out more than a year ago, and it's sold less than 100 copies. My impression is that my second Romance on the Go has done even worse. Don't know anything about sales for Evernight Teen.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
My adult Romance on the Go have done pretty well there, but I write M/M not heterosexual so I can't speak to that, though I know several authors there who sell quite well with menage and super sexy hetero stuff. I've definitely sold well over 100 for each of my M/M stories. My last few have not done as well as my first couple of them though.

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
summontherats - Mine is also a YA fantasy at Evernight Teen, and the romance element is light in my book. I do worry a little that it won't be what the readers expect from the publisher/line, but . . . I won't know for sure until it's out in the world (looking at later this month for release). And it does seem the adult line does better, though I'm only basing that on Amazon rankings, which are notoriously squeeby.

That the exact same situation I'm in--YA fantasy, very light on the romance. The timing's a shame, since I'd love to know how it goes for you. I hope your launch goes well! :)

My first adult romance with Evernight (in their Romance on the Go line) didn't have great sales, tbh. It came out more than a year ago, and it's sold less than 100 copies. My impression is that my second Romance on the Go has done even worse. Don't know anything about sales for Evernight Teen.

Ooof, that's kind of disappointing. Thanks for sharing, though (and for your sales info, too, smlgr!) This is very helpful.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have done very well with sales at Evernight. But it's been MM, ménage(MFM), and three MF releases.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Well, summontherats, I have an official release date of August 5. I'll let you know how it goes. Like yours, mine is primarily fantasy with a light romantic element (MC has a crush on her gay best friend). I've noticed the Teen line gives pretty much every book a week-long promo tour, so we'll see . . .

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Update: I'm featured on the coming soon page!!! No edits back yet, but I turned in my cover sheet last Tuesday. 😄

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I had a YA release with them a few months ago through the teen line, and I just got my first payment. I don't know what my third party sales were, since they report those a quarter behind, but I sold a grand total of 1 copy through their website since release. I'm very disappointed. I'm hoping third party sales are good, but I've been eyeballing my sales ranks on Amazon and I don't think they're likely to be much better.

Other authors have done better from what I can tell, so its possible my book just had bad luck. They did organize a blog tour after release, but I didn't see many sales from that either. They did request reviews from a few bloggers, and I requested review from some as well. I haven't seen a single review from a blog, though, not even ones I personally requested. I think the biggest problem was that there was no hype built before the release date, so naturally it fell very flat upon release. The turnaround time between acceptance and release was much too fast--I should have seen it as a red flag.

I hope others have better experiences. Unless my book picks up, though, I won't be submitting anything else to them.

Last edited:

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Oh no, A.P.M.! I'm sorry to hear it. It's true that I've wondered at them putting out a book per week . . . How does anything get traction? But I'm trying to remain optimistic. And also trying to spread the word ahead of release.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Thanks for the ray of hope, JustWonderin! My book finally has a cover and a release date of August 5th, so we'll see how it goes . . . So far I'm mostly happy with Evernight Teen. The one drawback has been that it feels like things are sometimes last minute. But I think that's just me being a nervous, anxious writer! They've been very efficient throughout the process.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Again, I'm dealing with M/M romance, not YA, but here's how my sales went: sales on the Evernight site were dismal, for both my releases. However, sales from distributors more than made up for it. You may only sell, say, 5 copies on their site, then discover you sold 500 through Amazon and/or All-Romance e-books (I think ARe carries YA).

I don't know why that is. I have a theory it has something to do with Evernight being headquartered in Canada. Those of us living outside Canada may have to pay an exchange rate or an extra tax or something. It could be simpler (and cheaper) to just buy from Amazon. I wonder if Canadian writers do better with sales on the site?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why that is. I have a theory it has something to do with Evernight being headquartered in Canada. Those of us living outside Canada may have to pay an exchange rate or an extra tax or something. It could be simpler (and cheaper) to just buy from Amazon. I wonder if Canadian writers do better with sales on the site?

Not sure I follow. You're theory is that Canadian writers might do better there...because a greater fraction of their readers would also be Canadian, and Canadians might be more likely to buy through their site?

Anyway, I'm Canadian, and like I said, my sales aren't great overall. For my first book, I've sold ~13 copies on the Evernight website, and less than 100 overall. In comparison, for a different publisher (Liquid Silver Books), I get pretty much no sales through the publisher's website.

Actually, as a reader, I never by books from a publisher's website. I get everything on Kobo.

ETA: If you have questions about Evernight/want to hear about other authors' experiences, a good place to ask is the Evernight Authors Group on Facebook. It's quite active.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Thanks for setting me straight on that. Like I said, that was just a theory, based on ... I dunno, nothing really. I'm not on Facebook, but it's starting to look like I should be. Apologies to Evernight and all Canadian authors and readers.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
All right, well, my book is out today. So far only on the Evernight Teen site and Amazon, but they said it will roll out to other vendors over the next couple weeks. I've been told an online promo tour is in the works (they seem to do this for each new release). I've also just been told I can't apply for Bookbub or anything like that until I have a second book because they don't discount new releases or single titles for promotion. Guess I'd better get cracking on book 2 . . .

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
All right, well, my book is out today. So far only on the Evernight Teen site and Amazon, but they said it will roll out to other vendors over the next couple weeks. I've been told an online promo tour is in the works (they seem to do this for each new release). I've also just been told I can't apply for Bookbub or anything like that until I have a second book because they don't discount new releases or single titles for promotion. Guess I'd better get cracking on book 2 . . .

How was your release?? How'd it go??

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
How was your release?? How'd it go??

Off to a slow start. They sent me files so I can hit up reviewers and I'm still waiting to see what happens with the promo tour. Looks like that will happen some time after the 14th, which is when the previous release's tour finishes up. My husband works in marketing and he's helping me brainstorm more ways to get the word out. Mostly I need to get the sequel finished. I'll be at a writing conference this week (Writer's Digest) and will be spreading the word there, too.

Kinda bummed my book isn't on Evernight Teen's front page carousel [yet]; it IS at least listed under "New Products" if you scroll down.

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
Off to a slow start. They sent me files so I can hit up reviewers and I'm still waiting to see what happens with the promo tour. Looks like that will happen some time after the 14th, which is when the previous release's tour finishes up. My husband works in marketing and he's helping me brainstorm more ways to get the word out. Mostly I need to get the sequel finished. I'll be at a writing conference this week (Writer's Digest) and will be spreading the word there, too.

Kinda bummed my book isn't on Evernight Teen's front page carousel [yet]; it IS at least listed under "New Products" if you scroll down.

Glad your husband is helping! Yeah, doesn't seem like they update the website often enough. I'm nervous because it's a month until my estimated release, and I haven't gotten edits. So I can't post teasers or attempt to get word out now. And we get the packet for promos and reviewers later, so it seems release will be slow for all of us. Hopefully, your tour makes it spread faster and generates more interest!! Good luck on it and the sequel!!!

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Thanks! Yes, the cover and additional promo images came only the week or so before release, and I didn't get the files for reviewers until a day or two before, so . . . I suppose I could have hit up reviewers even before getting the files, but I did that with another book--different publisher, but that pub had told me to line up reviewers and then were super late with files and I lost a lot of my reviewers that way--so I didn't want to do that again. I wanted files ready to send. Plus a lot of places want the links to Amazon or whatever, too, which I didn't have until the book went live. So now it feels like a bit of a scramble and I'm trying not to panic. Going to look again at the marketing info they sent me when I first signed, too, and refresh my memory there.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Well, like A.P.M., I only sold one book through Evernight's site and won't know what my third-party sales look like for another quarter. I'm trying not to feel discouraged. Evernight had told me my book was a bestseller on All Romance eBooks, which I thought was kind of funny since my book isn't really a romance. Fingers crossed that I did better in other outlets. There haven't been a ton of reviews, but the few that have come in have been positive. Someone even wrote that they'd recommend my book to anyone who likes Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. That was exciting at least.

StephLondon

Registered
Reaction score
I sold five through Evernight, though my book was only for sale during the last two weeks of the quarter. My first royalty statement, but it's still cool. I won't really know how well my book did/ is doing for another two quarters, but I like working with Evernight and my second book was just accepted by them. So we shall see!