League of Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great, newish mmo that free to play. It's a strategy game where you pick one of the champions to play as. Each team has a bad, with a set of turrets to defend it and an army of minions to help them. The goal is to destory the other's base. And the setting is fantasy. Check it out:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

PS: I know I probably did a horrible job describing it, but you really should give it a try. Very fun and very addictive.

I'm Raine V1 on there. Does anyone else here play?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I play occasionally.
It's not an MMO, it's a DOTA derivative, which makes it an action-RPG.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
It's not an action RPG either. :) They're called MOBAs or "arena PVP" games, etc.

I play occasionally, but prefer Heroes of Newerth.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
How's the micro-transaction system? Decent, or just a bunch of Visa Swords?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Is it true that people buy accounts from others for this game?
Heard that from an acquaintance recently, and if true it just blows my mind. I can understand the temptation in some games like WoW, there you actually get something for buying another's account. But in this case...all you'd get is a name and a record. What good is that?

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Heard that from an acquaintance recently, and if true it just blows my mind. I can understand the temptation in some games like WoW, there you actually get something for buying another's account. But in this case...all you'd get is a name and a record. What good is that?

I can believe it, to a degree. Some people spend a lot of time and effort collecting all the champions, alternative skins, runes, etc. Someone who doesn't want to put in the time investment could easily buy someone's account for the convenience. Then again, you could just buy said champions...

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
Many players are desperate to be high ranked, so I can believe they would buy high Elo accounts on eBay. There are players so desperate to be top ranked, they are paying top Elo players as much as 75$ an hour to be trained.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
This game is full of assholes. It's a fun game, but please reread the preceding sentence and consider carefully whether you want to put up with the ridiculously trollarific bullshit that goes on in a large fraction of matches. Yes, after TF2, most game communities look like shit in comparison, but LoL's community, as in all MOBA-style games, is especially poor.

The game may be free, but it's difficult to compete properly without investment of time or money. By default, no champions are unlocked, and just ten (of the 70ish) are free to play in any given week. The player can buy champions and rune pages with points earned in matches, but those points come very slowly, and they're also the only way to buy runes to go in the rune pages.

On the other hand, I tend to be critical of all microtransaction systems, so take my complaints with a spoonful of salt.

Last edited:

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
This game is full of assholes. It's a fun game, but please reread the preceding sentence and consider carefully whether you want to put up with the ridiculously trollarific bullshit that goes on in a large fraction of matches. Yes, after TF2, most game communities look like shit in comparison, but LoL's community, as in all MOBA-style games, is especially poor.

The game may be free, but it's difficult to compete properly without investment of time or money. By default, no champions are unlocked, and just ten (of the 70ish) are free to play in any given week. The player can buy champions and rune pages with points earned in matches, but those points come very slowly, and they're also the only way to buy runes to go in the rune pages.

On the other hand, I tend to be critical of all microtransaction systems, so take my complaints with a spoonful of salt.

I quit playing because I couldn't stand the community. The community takes 'troll' to a whole new level.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
This game is full of assholes. It's a fun game, but please reread the preceding sentence and consider carefully whether you want to put up with the ridiculously trollarific bullshit that goes on in a large fraction of matches.

Agreed. I try to stick to games among friends and the few decent people I encounter. It really does help if your teammates are all people you know--cuts down on the trolling a lot. Sure, the other team may be full of assholes that will taunt you for everything about you, ranging from your build to your gameplay style to your mother, but it helps when your own team isn't doing the exact same thing.

I'm relatively new to the game and still getting adjusted to all the items, champions, spells, game mechanics, etc. It's frustratingly hard if you're new to this type of game (I've played DotA, but it's been quite a while and was almost always my friends vs. AI). When your team is throwing a barrage of insults at you or quitting the game in rage, its hard to feel welcome in a community like LoL's.

I hear HoN's community is even worse.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Downloaded this yesterday. Tried it out today. Seems fun. Basically, it's Diablo PVP with complex goals.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
It is definitely quite fun, but as stated above, the community can be really...something.

Droood

드루우드
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been playing this game for a while now and I'm surprised at how quickly the game is expanding in popularity, especially in a competitive e-sport sense. It definitely feels like it's the WoW of the genre. The other titles, such as Heroes of Newerth, don't seem to be growing as much or competing as well. It will be interesting to see how DotA 2 ends up.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Well now we have Blizzard DOTA too.
Should be interesting to see if the company whose existence made the original possible will be able to compete with the derivatives spawned from it.

I'm Maladal BTW, if anyone wants to look me up.

ETA: I love support.

Last edited:

Droood

드루우드
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This game is full of assholes. It's a fun game, but please reread the preceding sentence and consider carefully whether you want to put up with the ridiculously trollarific bullshit that goes on in a large fraction of matches.

I agree.

I just recently gave up on the game. The problem I found was that it was too hard to have fun and competitive matches because of people's compulsion to play over-powered champions that require absolutely no skill or effort to dominate the field of battle. "Oh damn, the enemy have THAT champ? We lose before the game has even started..."

To add to this the game's developer, Riot, choose to base their concept of "balancing" on a popularity vote. If enough people in the community are raging about a specific champion they will attempt to "fix" them, but if that same champion is a popular choice and selling well in the store then they won't touch them. So where does that leave us honest folk who are looking for a fair fight? Nowhere.

Not worth my time...

Last edited:

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently there's a published fantasy author over on the LoL boards doing some sort of lore event. I'm kind of curious as to who he is.

I've been playing the game for about a year now. The community is pretty bad, and you have to work to not care and play the game (probably the hardest thing you can do, but once you learn you can have fun with it).

However, I haven't been playing it as much as I have recently. One or two games every other day or two.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing the game for about a year now. The community is pretty bad, and you have to work to not care and play the game (probably the hardest thing you can do, but once you learn you can have fun with it).
Not care about what?

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
About the fact that the community is utter shit. It's a more serious problem than it sounds because League of Legends is a team game designed and balanced around communication and coordination with your (far too often shitty) teammates. Solution? Only play with friends. Even then, you still have to play against shitty community members... unless you have lots of friends.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to notice this horrible community.
I've only had one bad experience since I got back, and it really wasn't that bad, just a dude who kept complaining we were awful and we were going to lose the entire game.
We won, and then he apologized.

ETA: Kayle Build

Last edited:

Reifier

No Stamina
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't played much in a long time, however my bf does several times a day. It's really quite fun, although also frustrating when you get grouped with ragers or 'noobs'.

I would suggest going with four other friends and play on vent.

I don't know that its true for LOL, because it won't make sense. You don't really level up a character - just the game account which you can do pretty easily just by playing numerous games. The champs are free and I would think people will keep their money to buy new champs and such.

Saying that, I have sold a game account for about $USD300, when I quit, which is nothing since the person I sold it to, boosted the char with newer things and sold it for about 1K.

Perhaps in this sort of way you kinda get back what you buy.

Ha, might be fun to pm me your ingame names, maybe I'll play with you guys, its been awhile so I must be terrible.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The Rivers Shall Run Red

Mystery Event!

Interestingly, the image is called "legendary-skin."

It looks like someone holding a ball of energy of some sort. The figure look familiar to anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.