• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How can I come up with a good original story/plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
You know I've often thought of that myself. I get this idea and then think..."nah, I don't want to do it." But what I've been doing is gathering my thoughts you know...thinking about the characters I want and placing obstacles in their way...sounds so easy, I know!!!!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I have what I feel are good characters in an interesting world.
Heh, they're not *that* good if they don't come equipped with enough conflicting emotions and goals to launch them into the story, and the world can't be *that* interesting if it doesn't throw up potential for further conflict. :)

Try plot generators like Seventh Sanctum and see if that gives you an idea (e.g. the Writing link in the left column).

-Derek

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
I wanted to write a book over the summer. Turns out I was a tad too ambitious.

Being the overall nerd that I am, it would be a fantasy.

I have what I feel are good characters in an interesting world. However, I don't have a good story to put them to use. The old quest to find/destroy/save the whatchamacallit whilst fighting the dark lord whats-his-face's evil minions does not work, and I don't want anything generic anyways.

What is a good way/method of coming up with original stories/plots?

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/gens/argonizer.html

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

You have original characters? Good. What is the WORST thing that could happen to them? Them in particular given who they are? What is their worst fear? Lose their job, be discovered naked in a fivesome, fall in love, find out they're immortal or that they'll die tomorrow...whatever.

Whatever their biggest fear is, whatever is the one worst thing that could happen to this particular person- happens.

The book is about what happens when they try to fight against it.

Noogah

Ranger #1
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very helpful forum. Thank-you all very much for you suggestions.

These shall be infinitely useful to me. :)

E.F.Jace

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
This may sound terribly pessimistic but there really is no such thing as an 'original' plot. Is your main character male? OH NO IT'S BEEN DONE! *shrug*

I actually stress alot about originality and doing something that's "never been done" and all it does is detract from what you should be doing. And that's enjoying yourself. For me, I write what I would do. If I were in an awesomely epic fantasy story that is. What interests me? What plights would I never want to tackle? What situations would be entertaining? What would I find incredibly romantic or horrific or frightening? For me, a story is one amazing daydream that I get to share with everyone. :) You can't really concentrate on what other people will like 'cuz you can't please everyone, so just concentrate on pleasing yourself. Everyone else can join you if you they want. (Dear jebus that sounds TERRIBLE and I can't think of an other way to rephrase it.)

I've seen alot of suggestions that fall along the line of, get your character and make life living hell for them, I don't think it's really about that (though anyone who knows me and my writing would beg to differ lol). Not every story can be about tackling your greatest fear, maybe it's the fear you didn't know you had (I mean...if it is your greatest fear wouldn't you think to stay away from it? Just saying.) Besides, if your main concentration is torturing your characaters, you have no connection with them. You're the bully pouring lighter fluid down the anthill, you need to be one of the ants. The more in tune with your characters you are, the more it shows, the more realistic they seem, and the easier it is for everyone else to fall in love with them. (I think.) Not to say all the characters need to be knights in shining armor. There's a character in my book that I HATE. Hate, hate HATE. Everytime I wrote a scene with him I was like OMG, Why aren't you dead yet? And everyone who read the story felt the same way. It was that much more satisfying when my muse finally let me kill him.

My advise? Pick one, maybe two goals, and stick to them. When I wrote my first novel, which happened to have vampires in it, surprise surprise, my first goal was to challenge EVERY vampire/romance stereotype I possibly could and go in the other direction. My second goal was to keep moving forward. You know how you write a chapter and realize you can't do a,b, or c, in this scene 'cuz there was something you didn't mention four chapters ago? Screw it. Don't do the scene then, come up with something else. It's the urge to go back and re-work everything to fit this one thing that creates plot holes and disrupts the fluidity. It's hard, I'll admit, but I think my story is actually better for it. After all, if it didn't fit when I first conceived the chapter that I've already finished and loved enough to move on, why go back and add stuff?

Man....long post is LONG. I'll zip up now.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to write a book over the summer. Turns out I was a tad too ambitious.

Being the overall nerd that I am, it would be a fantasy.

I have what I feel are good characters in an interesting world. However, I don't have a good story to put them to use. The old quest to find/destroy/save the whatchamacallit whilst fighting the dark lord whats-his-face's evil minions does not work, and I don't want anything generic anyways.

Start with something simple and then give it a twist. For example, there was a book that twisted the genders of Cinderella so it was a geeky spotty boy called Cinders chasing a princess.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Just have something happen that is going to completely upset his day and his life until he solves or escapes or gets to the bottom of whatever it is - use your imagination -anything at all - roof falls in - giant worm comes down chimney - palace explodes - king needs help - cucumber plants go berserk - he finds he has grown a tail/horn three legs.... if you want to write fantasy you must have an imagination.

STOP SLEETING ON ME! I now cannot get the image of a red-skin devil with tails, a horn, and three legs standing next to a garden full of angry cucumber plants out of my head.

Do you know the backlog of stories I already have? Thanks a whole lot, Bufty. :Headbang:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
drink a cup of coffee before bedtime :)

Then make up your stories as you lie there wide awake. Seriously, I have insomnia bad, that's when I make up stories so as to not disturb my sleeping wife.

One famous author says that he makes up the characters in advance, drops them in a strange event, then lets the characters deal with it. I can't do that, I have to know the start, middle and end.

Others gave you good advice. Read the paper, the internet, read all you can, about strange rains in Thailand to foods of New York to the latest Mars exploration. Pick a couple of interesting sites like Boing Boing, and read them everyday. Sooner or later an ideal will hit. Stories don't develop in a vacuum. If you're not interesting, how can your stories be?

Play what-if games is your head. What if the internet died for day? What if a giant sunspot hit? What if you woke up and your legs were missing? What if you woke up and your wife didn't know you? Suppose you had amnesia and a kingdom was counting on you to run it?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
We all say there are no original stories, but I don't believe this for a second. There may be no original plots, but a plot is not a story. Writers come up with original stories base don the basic plots each and every day. They also come up with original characters. Doing this is a large part of writing stories that sell.

Differentiating between story and plot is what many fail to do. They think of a plot, then think, "But that's been done a thousand times."

Yes. Probably even more. But each of those thousand times used that plot in a different story, and with different characters.

Choose a plot, regardless of how many times you think it's been used. Not write a story based on that plot, but with your own twists, your own turns, your own setting, your own characters, and you own life experience. We are each original, and this means our unique personality and like experience can make any story original.

And, of course, we have no way of knowing whether every plot has been done, or whether every idea has been used. I guarantee every idea has not ben used. I doubt if one ten millionth of one percent of all ideas have been used. It's like secrets. We can know how many secrets have been leaked, but we can never know how many have been kept because, well, they're secret.

Plots and ideas are the same. We know how many plots and ideas have been used, but it's impossible to know how many remain to be discovered. We can't know until and unless someone discovers them. Maybe you'll be the one to do it.

But one last thought. The most original thing is the world is a good story, well told, and filled with wonderful characters we'd all love to spend time with. Such things are as rare as cavities in chicken teeth.

smokymountainlvr

onward and upward
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is kind of an old thread. :tongue But a very interesting one, full of great advice. It's funny because I don't have a terribly difficult time of coming up with potential story ideas. I find a lot of things interesting and inspiring, so I often have ideas for different thing waiting in my head. Pretty much every piece of fiction I've written started with some part of my life that I was processing at the time, and I go from there. I actually have more difficulty with coming up with unique things to contribute to this forum. I want to be helpful but not redundant!

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
I quite like the plot of my current WIP, although it isn't perfect, but it's got a good conflict and it roughly holds together.

I came up with it by having some ideas for scenes, writing them, then writing some more, trying to write bits to link them together, and then basically wandering round and round in circles, writing long notes to thrash out plot points which I then never read again, taking bits out, putting other bits in. It was a long, iterative process.

I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing it, but I don't know if I could do that. I certainly couldn't outline a plot entirely before I start, because the characters don't come to life for me until I've written them a bit, so that seems to mean a lot of stuff written that never gets used.

I don't know if I would call this a "method", but maybe you can get something from it. For what it's worth, it seems to be the "method" Ian Rankin uses - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20179518 - and he doesn't recommend it either.

Make of this what you will.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
1349473286475.gif~original

Zombie thread! Boogie-down, all you revived skellies!

Status
Not open for further replies.